• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should you ALWAYS have Diddy's bananas out?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Also, -when- should you take them out? I already know how to use them and such. It's just, sometimes I fear my opponents taking advantage of my bananas. D=

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
I generally like to say that you should bust out a banana every time there is a good amount of space between you and your opponent, but honestly, it really depends on your opponent. If the person you are fighting doesn't bother picking them up or claim them for their own use, then by all means, toss 'em out as much as you'd like. They can only help, after all. If you're playing a smart opponent, however, that's when you have to be careful. Once they start using your own weapon against you, things can definitely get tricky.

I usually have one banana out at a time, because that way, I can always keep an eye on it, and not be afraid of losing control of it for too long. Once I gain good control of the stage and have my opponent on the run or whatever, then I'll bust out the second banana and lay it wherever. They'll be too busy defending and playing keep away to bother picking one up.

Having an opponent that constantly goes for your bananas can be a good thing, too, however. A lot of the people I have faced seem to have this idea that always taking my bananas away from me is a good idea, but in reality, all they are doing is shrinking their attack variety. Once they pick up that banana, throwing it is pretty much all they can do, so their upcoming attack becomes that much more predictable. So in short, the bananas can also be used as bait to lure your opponent into grabbing it.

It's also immportant to take note of the character you are fighting, and use the banana less depending on their attacks. Fox, Falco, Wolf, Zelda, Mario, Pit, etc; any character with a reflect attack has a leg up on you since they don't even have to grab the banana in order to gain control over it.

Lemoun

Smash Rookie
At the same level though, bananas are useful against Fox, Falco and Wolf because they limit the advantage they gain from speed. Just be careful throwing bananas directly at characters with reflect. Though all players have the option to pick up a thrown banana that is about to hit them, and a person with that skill limits the usefulness of your bananas.

Repulse X

Smash Apprentice
At the same level though, bananas are useful against Fox, Falco and Wolf because they limit the advantage they gain from speed. Just be careful throwing bananas directly at characters with reflect. Though all players have the option to pick up a thrown banana that is about to hit them, and a person with that skill limits the usefulness of your bananas.

Yeah def the faster the opponent, the more you wanna keep throwing bananas as it stops alot of their chasing of you given that you are being comboed or edgeguarded

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
I like to keep one in my hand just for mindgames, throw it only if its not expected.

Lemoun

Smash Rookie
I like to keep one in my hand just for mindgames, throw it only if its not expected.
I would disagree with this. When you have a banana in your hand, the only A attack you can do is throw. I don't think the option to throw banana (5% damage) on command is worth giving up all of Diddy's A moves.

Da N

Smash Journeyman
The vacinity of the planet Earth. (California)
keeping the banana in your hand just limits your ability to fight effectively. I always like to have at least one on the ground, but a lot of times right when i throw one i jump back and grab it out of the air. Then when they try to approach throw it and if your lucky, theyl slip, then at that time you can tech chase or go in for a grab.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Hide them nanners.

In free-for-alls I sometimes pull out a banana and hide it at the end of a dark stage. (Shadow Moses Island). I will generally hide the banana when I'm at a distance from my opponents and their all too focused on each other and forget about me. Eventually they come to the end of the stage, slip over the banana they're unaware of, and then I either come at them with a kung fu kick or forward smash attack to knock them off depending on the distance. This is of course when the pillars are down on SMI.

WhiteCarnation

Smash Cadet
Bananas are pretty versatile

Beyond strategic ground placement,

If someone is going to leap up to you, you can throw them back and knock them back AND make them slip

you can also smack away certain projectiles, too

I really really love it when I throw bananas out in obvious places and my opponent always takes the chance to dash for them to try and undermine me, then I just roll over behind the bananas as he pulls up and lay into him

Usually you can dash attack and re-grab your bananas to keep throwing and dashing and laying into them as they slip and slide all over

These tactics tend to work really well on heavy guys for me

Samigi

Smash Cadet
The best time to take out the bananas, is when your opponent is trying to recover back to the stage or as soon as you get back to the stage once you've died. You have time to take them out, and a couple of invincibility frames too. Its also good to throw em while in the air....

Lemoun

Smash Rookie
The best time to take out the bananas, is when your opponent is trying to recover back to the stage or as soon as you get back to the stage once you've died. You have time to take them out, and a couple of invincibility frames too. Its also good to throw em while in the air....
If a person is trying to recover back to the stage, and they have at least 40% damage, I would rather spend my time trying to spike or edge guard. Though in some situations banana pull is the best option (when they are really high and over the ledge).

gsarany

Smash Cadet
if someone is about to smash you try putting a banana in front and when they do their smash attack they will slp allowing u to get a hit in

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I don't ALWAYS have them out, but I do for most of the match.

Also, try playing someone with Diddy and don't use bananas if you are winning and on the last stock just pull em out and suprise them, chances are they didn't expect that.

^Only for fun matches of course.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I'd always throw bananas when I have a good opportunity to. Learn to use them really well, and you will be at an advantage.

Whiteday

Smash Rookie
Bananas are good. Even if your opponent picks them up, he limits himself with A attacks, leaving you with a lot more options.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
if your opponent is full out assaulting you drop bananas isn't the greatest thing to do cause sometimes it leaves you open and if they're at a right distance (depending on who they're using) they hit you, smash you, and or send you into a combo. I'm don't main diddy but i found myself using the bananas as a way to approach someone. or as a way to somewhat control their movements. Most people don't usually walk into a banana they usually jump over it, and sometimes i use it has a unexpected anti- air attack. But i rarely find myself dropping bananas when my opponent is being really aggressive.

REDFIELD246

Smash Apprentice
I generally have ONE out against guys like Falco, Fox, Wolf (people who can reflect them to gain control), and I generally throw from the top; or better yet, if I have an opening in the front I'll use it. Best to proceed with caution against them.

Mr. Spam & Death

Smash Rookie
Bananas are very useful, iyou can use them to keep your opponent from doing anything. my favorite combo is throw one at them on the ground , run up, jump and grab the banana after it bounces off of them then go over them in the air down throw, land and down smash. it works really well.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Only on Wi-fi, since all matches have some lag. It puts a stop on enemy combos, can easily be picked up while doing a cartwheel on your opponent, and promotes aerial fights. All good things for Diddy Kong.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
I would disagree with this. When you have a banana in your hand, the only A attack you can do is throw. I don't think the option to throw banana (5% damage) on command is worth giving up all of Diddy's A moves.
neutral z to drop banana, quick cstick air. good chances of catching the banana and performing the move, sometimes your DI will make you miss catching it with your attack, but if so, then theres a banana on the stage that your opponent didn't plan for, and you're closer to it than them in case you'd feel more comfortable with naner in hand

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
I probably don't use bananas as much as I should, but I don't want to overuse them, because my opponents will develop counters. I use two bananas when:

- I've been knocked out, and have invincibility
- I've knocked the opponent far enough off the stage to where I can pull out both bananas safely

But, I may pull out one banana randomly, and lead to a second one being pulled out. They're so cool. XD

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
Against characters with reflectors and capes and such, I find dropping the bananas midair on them and following up with a midair A move pretty awesome. And tossing them downward during moments they wouldn't expect it.

hugglebunny

Smash Journeyman
i generally pull out bananas when they went flying or r recovering and usually don't use it anywhere else except for the start of the match
they kind of mess up cuz u can't use any of ur a attacks until you throw it. though, you can just use diddy hump till you do :/
wat do i know, i just started using him lol

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice
i like to keep one banana out, that way if they pick it up, i cant get mixed up between two bananas and which is mine. ill keep one out during a whole match, unless its snake. Giving him another projectile would be stupid and 10x more unfair (:

Top Bottom