• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Wii U games really be $60?

Booster

Smash Lord
Part of what people liked about Wii was that the games stayed $50, meaning Nintendo wasn't ****ing its customers like Sony and Microsoft did with the $10 increase and it was fine since Wii was a weaker system then PS3 and Xbox360, if Wii games had been $60 Wii probably wouldn't have been as successful (Atleast to me).

So with Wii U being alot weaker then PS4 and XboxOne and only being slightly stronger then PS3 and 360, should the games really be $60? OF COURSE NOT! Why did Nintendo do this? Why didn't they keep the games at a reasonable $50 or less? Why what where why?!?! Parents are going to take a look at the games and be like "**** that **** that ****ing kid can have this $30 Spongebob game", that's a realistic situation, you'd be surprised how often that happened to me and my friends when we were kids and keeps happening with our siblings.

I mean really...lower your ****ing prices Nintendo...god damn....

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Over here, Gamestop is pretty much the only bricks-and-mortar games shop left in the market outside of Dublin or the North. No competition means they can practically charge what they like. Top new Wii U games cost €60, which is the equivalent of 77 US dollars. Still cheaper than the average new Xbox One game (€65, or US $84), and some PS4 games are asking €75 (~= $97). So to answer the question, I'd gladly pay $60 for Wii U games. For now though, I'm stuck with Amazon - still more expensive than the US equivalent, but no way I'm furthering Gamestop's monopoly.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Over here, Gamestop is pretty much the only bricks-and-mortar games shop left in the market. No competition means they can practically charge what they like. Top new Wii U games cost €60, which is the equivalent of 77 US dollars. Still cheaper than the average new Xbox One game (€65, or US $84), and some PS4 games are asking €75 (~= $97). So to answer the question, I'd gladly pay $60 for Wii U games. For now though, I'm stuck with Amazon - still more expensive than the US equivalent, but no way I'm furthering Gamestop's monopoly.
Well I wouldn't say people who live in Countries where videogames are somehow more overpriced could participate in this thread, but I like to meet new people, so go ahead, if you lived over here you'd feel butt****ed

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
You do have to account for inflation and the higher cost of HD game development, so it's not just an arbitrary decision. They could afford to do it for digital copies if they were either willing to go digital-only or offer consistent discounts on digital copies and stop insisting on keeping prices for both versions the same. (They shouldn't keep both versions the same, as the cost of expanded storage for games beyond what the 32GB Wii U can hold mean going digital-only is more expensive for the consumer than buying physical copies, even though the profit margins are higher on digital copies and they can afford to give a discount) This is something the other console makers do as well, so it's not as if this is exclusive to Nintendo, but they should start thinking outside the box for ways to make their console more appealing.

the8thark

Smash Lord
In Australia most new bug budget WiiU games are $80 in the retailer. That's the equivalent of $74US dollars. I'd gladly pay the equivalent to $60 US here in Australia.

Well I wouldn't say people who live in Countries where videogames are somehow more overpriced could participate in this thread, but I like to meet new people, so go ahead, if you lived over here you'd feel butt****ed
That's like saying "your problem is way worse than mine but I don't care cause it's not happening to me, only my problems matter".
If I lived in the USA now I'd be thankful for paying less for my games and game guides. I do often order game guides from Amazon US cause of their prices, much better than Australia. But because I'm PAL I'm restricted to comparing between here and the UK.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Part of what people liked about Wii was that the games stayed $50, meaning Nintendo wasn't ****ing its customers like Sony and Microsoft did with the $10 increase and it was fine since Wii was a weaker system then PS3 and Xbox360, if Wii games had been $60 Wii probably wouldn't have been as successful (Atleast to me).

So with Wii U being alot weaker then PS4 and XboxOne and only being slightly stronger then PS3 and 360, should the games really be $60? OF COURSE NOT! Why did Nintendo do this? Why didn't they keep the games at a reasonable $50 or less? Why what where why?!?! Parents are going to take a look at the games and be like "**** that **** that ****ing kid can have this $30 Spongebob game", that's a realistic situation, you'd be surprised how often that happened to me and my friends when we were kids and keeps happening with our siblings.

I mean really...lower your ****ing prices Nintendo...god damn....
The Wii U's not only a little stronger than the PS3 and the 360, it's significantly stronger...this seems to be a case of someone complaining that they have to pay for top-quality software, I'll gladly pay full price for complete Nintendo games. They're worth much more than 60$!

I don't see why they shouldn't be 60$, most AAA titles are that price, and Nintendo's AAA titles are above the competition's.

Booster

Smash Lord
The Wii U's not only a little stronger than the PS3 and the 360, it's significantly stronger...this seems to be a case of someone complaining that they have to pay for top-quality software, I'll gladly pay full price for complete Nintendo games. They're worth much more than 60$!

I don't see why they shouldn't be 60$, most AAA titles are that price, and Nintendo's AAA titles are above the competition's.
Have you not seen Batman Arkham Knight? Wii U games look great and fun, but Arkham Knight is going to be GotY easily.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Oh, hey. Booster made a post without a swear word.

I agree with Booster, Batman Arkham Knight's defintiely shaping up to be a great, maybe even an amazing game. Arkham Knight could easily win GOTY.

However, I don't agree with him on the pricing of Wii/Wii U games. The games being $50 did not at all count towards the Wii's success, software sales are separate from hardware sales. The MSRP will always change towards products, and it will always change based on the platform. For example, when it was new, Portal 2 was $60 MSRP consoles, but $50 MSRP PC. But you also have to remember that not all games are priced at $60 MSRP. Deadly Premonition was $20 on release, and Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 was $40 release.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Have you not seen Batman Arkham Knight? Wii U games look great and fun, but Arkham Knight is going to be GotY easily.
Arkham Knight looks fun and good and all...but don't act like it's a Super Smash Bros or Zelda U...it just isn't, and if it's going to be game of the year because it can have a million water particles when you walk on rain, then I don't think it deserves it, Zelda U also looks to be a GOTY 2015 contender.

I love how you're implying that somehow absolute masterpieces like SM3DW, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101, Super Smash Bros., Pikmin 3 are somehow worth less than the overhyped games of the so-called Next-Gen that game journalists love to leave the Wii U out of because it's cool to hate on Nintendo.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Arkham Knight looks fun and good and all...but don't act like it's a Super Smash Bros or Zelda U...it just isn't, and if it's going to be game of the year because it can have a million water particles when you walk on rain, then I don't think it deserves it, Zelda U also looks to be a GOTY 2015 contender.

I love how you're implying that somehow absolute masterpieces like SM3DW, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101, Super Smash Bros., Pikmin 3 are somehow worth less than the overhyped games of the so-called Next-Gen that game journalists love to leave the Wii U out of because it's cool to hate on Nintendo.
I don't hate Nintendo at all aside from their inability to release Demos on the eShop and what they did to Wii (Too many...casual games)

Also @ Twewy Twewy I am perfectly capable of not swearing, but I enjoy it, especially since I can't do it often irl because mom will get pissed off.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
You're sounding a little bias there, friend. Nintendo makes good games, yes, but they are not all masterpieces. I enjoy Nintendo games myself, but I can also admit that their games have flaws, and that companies can, have, and will make better games than the Big N.

Booster

Smash Lord
You're sounding a little bias there, friend. Nintendo makes good games, yes, but they are not all masterpieces. I enjoy Nintendo games myself, but I can also admit that their games have flaws, and that companies can, have, and will make better games than the Big N.
Such as Batman Arkham City (Not the Wii U version) or Metal Gear Solid 1-4 and Peacewalker and odds are Phantom Pain will be a contender for Game of the Year and Splatoon even though it looks fun and colorful will be overlooked because of Arkham Knight, Mortal Kombat X, Phantom Pain and even Nintendo's own Zelda U and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Twewy

Smash Lord
and Splatoon even though it looks fun and colorful will be overlooked because of Arkham Knight, Mortal Kombat X, Phantom Pain and even Nintendo's own Zelda U and Xenoblade Chronicles X.
I don't give a damn about the color palette, I care about the gameplay, which luckily Splatoon has. Same goes for the other games you listed; if they have good looking gameplay, they catch my eye. I would gladly pay $60 for Phantom Pain, why? Because it caught my interest. The same could apply to a Wii U game; does it catch my interest? Yes? Then it would be worth $60.

(If none of that makes sense, I'm sorry. I just woke up.)

Booster

Smash Lord
I don't give a damn about the color palette, I care about the gameplay, which luckily Splatoon has. Same goes for the other games you listed; if they have good looking gameplay, they catch my eye. I would gladly pay $60 for Phantom Pain, why? Because it caught my interest. The same could apply to a Wii U game; does it catch my interest? Yes? Then it would be worth $60.

(If none of that makes sense, I'm sorry. I just woke up.)
Splatoon will still be overlooked unfortunately, despite having potential to be the Shooter game Wii U needs: Keeps up with Wii U's cartoony graphics, but has intense gameplay as well

Twewy

Smash Lord
"Splatoon will be overlooked"
You do know it was one of the most visited E3 booths, right?

Twewy

Smash Lord
Someone I know told me it's because of the HD graphics, but the thing is HD is cheap nowadays, it's 4K we have to worry about.

I dread when games become $70, if that happens I'm done.
Didn't games use to be $70 for a while, back in the 90's?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Warning Received
Didn't games use to be $70 for a while, back in the 90's?
They were always $50 here...

I don't hate Nintendo at all aside from their inability to release Demos on the eShop and what they did to Wii (Too many...casual games)

Also @ Twewy Twewy I am perfectly capable of not swearing, but I enjoy it, especially since I can't do it often irl because mom will get pissed off.
Maybe she doesn't like it because it makes you sound childish and unprofessional, and she wants better for you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Dude, if it's money problems you have, just get a job.

Narpas_sword

All I can say is if games become anymore expensive I'm afraid I'm going to have to quit gaming, this $60 bull**** is getting real ****ing old.
let me put this how you may understand:

All you can do is whinge and ***** because youre not ****ing educating yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation
in summary **** NEARLY ALWAYS COSTS MORE IN THE FUTURE.

ask how much your parents paid for a bottle of milk when they were kids.

In fact, games are CHEAPER by comparison than they were in the earlier gens.

The other thing that happens as you get older, is you realise how much of an idiot you were when you were 18.

Last edited:

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
I don't mind it one bit. I enjoy most of Nintendo's AAA titles, because they're true quality to me. They usually hold their value.

For example:

You mentioned Arkham Knight, right? It'll most likely be a fine game, but check back in 4 years and it'll be $15. Looking back at Nintendo games though that came out 3-4 years ago, they're still pretty pricey. Skyword Sword still runs for about $50, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is roughly $30, and the Pokemon titles usually only increase in price and rarely get marked down. Nintendo's games are what define the industry in my opinion.

As another example, I work at GameStop. Watch_Dogs, a game that's supposed to be "Game of the Year" material, has been sold back to my store countless times. I could choke a whale with how many used copies that we have in back stock. When looking at another game that came out around the same time, Mario Kart 8, I've only seen about 3 copies come back.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not belittling Watch_Dogs, Batman, or any other franchise that isn't Nintendo, but to me Nintendo titles are so charming, fun, and an overall blast that people just keep them, because they're truly AAA titles.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
edit : looked into it, found i was wrong

I'm disabled and am unfit to be in the work force as of now. I scream at kids
then dont complain. stop gaming. if you cant afford it (but as it looks right now, your mom's wallet seems to be the one hurting), stop buying. get a new hobby.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
I don't mind it one bit. I enjoy most of Nintendo's AAA titles, because they're true quality to me. They usually hold their value.

For example:

You mentioned Arkham Knight, right? It'll most likely be a fine game, but check back in 4 years and it'll be $15. Looking back at Nintendo games though that came out 3-4 years ago, they're still pretty pricey. Skyword Sword still runs for about $50, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is roughly $30, and the Pokemon titles usually only increase in price and rarely get marked down. Nintendo's games are what define the industry in my opinion.

As another example, I work at GameStop. Watch_Dogs, a game that's supposed to be "Game of the Year" material, has been sold back to my store countless times. I could choke a whale with how many used copies that we have in back stock. When looking at another game that came out around the same time, Mario Kart 8, I've only seen about 3 copies come back.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not belittling Watch_Dogs, Batman, or any other franchise that isn't Nintendo, but to me Nintendo titles are so charming, fun, and an overall blast that people just keep them, because they're truly AAA titles.
That's what makes being a Nintendo only gamer so difficult. Forget the $60 thing for a minute, I can get tons of titles on PS3 and Xbox360 for really cheap (And I have), they're usually so cheap I buy on an impulse. BUT when I see a Nintendo title, I hesitate even though I know it will be good because of that huge price tag. For example: Xenoblade Chronicles is $60 (WTF) at Gamestop, meanwhile for that price I can get the following games altogether:

Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition ($6)
Uncharted Dual Pack (Comes with first game and Game of the Year edition of the 2nd, $20)
Madworld ($3, I **** you not, $3 for this high quality game)
Super Mario Bros 3 ($5 on eShop)
Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition (Comes with first and second Bioshock with all DLC, $20)

The rest of the cash will come from tax. I COULD use PS2 games as an example as well (75% sale!) but that's cheating since it's a massive sale! That's 7 entire games for the price of 1 Xenoblade Chronicles.

Booster

Smash Lord
DUDE INFLATION.

You are literally complaining about $2.50

Two ****ing Dollars FIFTY.
Listen, Math is not my subject. I have a severe learning disability when it comes to Math and my 4th grade teacher from 8 years ago didn't help. So really, no matter what you do, I won't understand, so please, contribute something else to the topic or keep trying, or better yet go, it's obvious this topic is bothering you xP

Narpas_sword

Then don't argue about money if you can't add.

The first post i made has a nice picture with vitually no math and explains everything niceley.

$50 in 2007 is equal to $57.50 in 2014.

Your whole topic is "i dont want to pay $60, i want to pay $57.50"

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Inflation

Rising dev costs + profit motive.

WWHD and DKC Tropical Freeze launched at $50 in the US.

Over here, Gamestop is pretty much the only bricks-and-mortar games shop left in the market outside of Dublin or the North. No competition means they can practically charge what they like. Top new Wii U games cost €60, which is the equivalent of 77 US dollars. Still cheaper than the average new Xbox One game (€65, or US $84), and some PS4 games are asking €75 (~= $97). So to answer the question, I'd gladly pay $60 for Wii U games. For now though, I'm stuck with Amazon - still more expensive than the US equivalent, but no way I'm furthering Gamestop's monopoly.
Your tax is like 20 percent and included in the price. Not comparable... Everywhere pays more than the US but the tax difference has nothing to do with Nintendo.

Last edited:

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
If a game is worth $60 to me, I would be fine paying $60 for it.

Most games aren't, and this includes even some of the games with the best production values.

finalark

SNORLAX

There was once a time when games ran for $40-$70 dollars well before inflation. Anyone who thinks games are too expensive these days needs to realize that $60 is not that bad.

Plus $60 really isn't that bad unless you plan on buying multiple $60 games a month. When I was a kid I thought that $40-$60 for a game was too expensive, mostly because I had to spend months upon months saving lunch money to eventually get the damn thing. But as an adult with a decent paying job $60 really isn't that bad IMO. Assuming you don't plan on buying more than one new game a month, because that adds up quick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom