• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should we be comment on Sakurai's obvious bias toward certain characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I think by now, we've all noticed Sakurai has a very obvious bias toward or against characters he puts on the roster. Sakurai clearly favors series like Kirby, Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem, giving them full support and tons of items and characters. Kirby and Kid Icarus because he works on them, and he seems to have an affinity for Fire Emblem, otherwise it wouldn't keep getting so many characters on the roster. Marth and Roy in Melee, Marth and Ike in Brawl, and now Marth/Ike and Robin/Lucina in Smash 4.

Meanwhile series he doesn't care for, he lets burn. The Zelda franchise hasn't had a newcomer since Melee in 2001. Secondly, Ganondorf has remained a clone for two games in a row. Toon Link also has tons of potential for a unique moveset, (using items from Wind Waker, Minish Cap, or the DS games), yet Sakurai ignores that. If Ganondorf is still a Captain Falcon clone 3 games in a row, it'll be even more obvious.

The Metroid and Donkey Kong franchises have also received the short end of the stick. People have been clamoring for Ridley since Brawl but no dice. Dixie Kong was the star of her own game (DKC3), yet we're still waiting on her. King K. Rool could go either way.

Lastly Sakurai always plucks one random obscure character out of nowhere and makes them playable for no reason, like Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch in Melee, Rob in Brawl, and Wii Fit Trainer in Smash U. I like these characters, but before they were shown nobody would have ever believed these characters would ever be playable over much well known and notable all-stars.

How do you feel about Sakurai's favortism? Its really odd that Nintendo doesn't have much say in what he puts in the roster with few exceptions, like GameFreak telling him to make a certain Pokemon playable which he abides by. If Shigeru Miyamoto got to choose the roster, you could bet Zelda, Metroid and DK would have all had more reps since Brawl.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Sakurai likes the characters from his series. That's why Meta Knight was broken as all hell and Kirby and King Dedede were also 2 of the best characters in Brawl. Since Kid Icarus is also Sakurai's franchise now, this is the reason Pit is the veteran who has the best new play style and Palutena is included. Nuff said.

Master Jelly

Smash Cadet
If you were in Sakurai's position would you do any different? Because I'm sure that if I made successful games I would put as many of the elements in those games in smash.

cybersai

Smash Ace
If you were in Sakurai's position would you do any different? Because I'm sure that if I made successful games I would put as many of the elements in those games in smash.
Include the most popular characters of each series within reason, and then include a few lesser known or obscure characters to even it out.

A franchise as big as Donkey Kong only having two reps is absurd. Do you know what a big franchise this series has been? Hell, it was the first appearance of Mario in Donkey Kong! Metroid only having Samus herself as a rep is also odd as hell.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem has 4 characters (three unique + one bonus clone), an assist trophy, and a couple stages. When considering the sizes of the franchises, this isn't comparable to Kirby and Kid Icarus, especially the latter with all its items and smash run enemies.

I'll agree that some other series feel underrepresented, but there are still newcomers left to be seen, so hold out until the game arrives. Even if Zelda doesn't get a newcomer, it still has five playable characters already.

Master Jelly

Smash Cadet
Include the most popular characters of each series within reason, and then include a few lesser known or obscure characters to even it out.

A franchise as big as Donkey Kong only having two reps is absurd. Do you know what a big franchise this series has been? Hell, it was the first appearance of Mario in Donkey Kong! Metroid only having Samus herself as a rep is also odd as hell.
Each series is a case by case situation. Some have more popular and iconic characters than others.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I'll agree that some other series feel underrepresented, but there are still newcomers left to be seen, so hold out until the game arrives. Even if Zelda doesn't get a newcomer, it still has five playable characters already.
Two of which are clones (Ganondorf and Toon Link), and a series that hasn't had a new character since 2001. That means Zelda hasn't had a new playable character in Smash in nearly 14 years. That's absolutely absurd for a franchise as big as Zelda.

If Ganondorf is still a Captain Falcon clone 3 games in a row, that will be truly ridiculous.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

It's enough for monkeys. You can counter me with other arguments, but 2 monkeys are enough. K Rool COULD be in, but I doubt it. Samus is practically the only Metroid character available, Ridley is huge, his proportions are uneven, unlike Bowser, and has a definitive size, once again, unlike Bowser, and Ridley was deconfirmed centuries ago.

FINALLY SOMEBODY WHO UNDERSTANDS ME!

cybersai

Smash Ace
It's enough for monkeys. You can counter me with other arguments, but 2 monkeys are enough.
The series is about monkey's, what do you expect? Dixie Kong was the star of her own game DKC3, debuted in one of the best selling games of the series DKC2, and just recently came back in a major title. While I'd rather have King. K Rool over her, she has quite a lot of star power and should be included. Also adds another female to the roster that Sakurai likes.

Samus is practically the only Metroid character available, Ridley is huge, his proportions are uneven, unlike Bowser, and has a definitive size, once again, unlike Bowser, and Ridley was deconfirmed centuries ago.
!
About a million people on this forum have disproven the "Ridley is too big" argument millions of times, we don't need to go into that again.

Last edited:

Master Jelly

Smash Cadet
The series is about monkey's, what do you expect? Dixie Kong was the star of her own game DKC3, debuted in one of the best selling games of the series DKC2, and just recently came back in a major title. While I'd rather have King. K Rool over her, she has quite a lot of star power and should be included. Also adds another female to the roster that Sakurai likes.

About a million people on this forum have disproven the "Ridley is too big" argument millions of times, we don't need to go into that again.
Any character can be downsized, but Ridley would just look ridiculous. Even if you argue that he would look as he did in the Melee intro, he would still just look dumb, especially if he holds on to the ledge of the stage for dear life when he has wings. He's already a stage boss anyway, you could see a frame in the direct where a small part of his purple wing was present.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ignoring the toobigotry going on here,

Since this is a question for basically anyone to answer, I'd try to hide my bias better than he's doing at least. While I'd might include quite a bit of content of a series I did or that of an old favorite Nintendo franchise of mine, it would not be at the expense of other sensible & popular choices for characters, because at the end of the day I'd still be making a game for other people, not for myself... Don't know if that's how Sakurai sees it, but whatever.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I don't know, if I made the roster I'd probably have quote and Layton on it, then try my hardest to meet fan demand.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Yes, there is no doubt that he is rather biased, I don't really think that adding Meta Knight and KDD in brawl was bias, I mean, both of them were requested characters that actually deserved a spot, Palutena also deserved it, Dark Pit in no way deserved it, he wasn't biased in melee but now he definetely is, I mean, Why does FE or KI (no offense to the series), deserve 3/4 characters while DK and Metroid only have 2?

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
What you are saying is one of the reasons that Dixie should be added just because she is female monkey...........I need a Rolling Rock. Adding females just for the sake of it doesn't seem to be in Sakurai's mind. But he is the Grandmaster Troll.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
What you are saying is one of the reasons that Dixie should be added just because she is female monkey...........I need a Rolling Rock. Adding females just for the sake of it doesn't seem to be in Sakurai's mind. But he is the Grandmaster Troll.
Exactly, Dixie doesn't deserve the spot because she is female, she deserves the spot because she is a nintendo all star that should have been in brawl

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
It's clear that he has bias for KI, considering Palutena was given 12 unique specials and dark pit may be in, but i can guarantee that it is so much easier for him to make a character out of someone he is familiar with. While working on uprising, he probably had all of Palutena's moves figured out exactly because of the fact that he created them.

Its annoying how KI went from having one character, one stage, no enemy's, no items, and no assist trophy's to having:

2-3 characters (one character that has 3x the special moves as everyone else, and one clone that has no reason to be here)

2 stages (thats fine)

2 assist trophys (thats fine)

6 items (thats a pretty big jump)

16 enemy's (that is wayyyyy to much, thats even MORE THAN MARIO)

As for Kirby bias, i'd say its good where it is. Sure it may have a lot of items, but at least it should have 3 characters and they are all-stars. Except they were way to prominent in SSE.

What I dont get is that in melee, he tried to not be bias at all by not giving us king dedede, which at that point it wouldn't be bias considering kirby deserves 3 characters.

It's clear that DK and Metroid are getting ****** over for both melee and brawl.

In melee, donkey kong country was such a giant success that diddy should have really been in. Samus should have had someone else in melee and zero suit samus was only in because he couldnt think of anyone else.

As of right now, DK and metroid are still getting killed, but at least metroid has 3 assist trophy's and a new stage.
DK has no AT's and no new stage.

Give us Ridley and dixie/k. rool.

Fire emblem should only really have 2-3 characters, considering it really only just got mainstream, but because lucina was an easy to make clone i'll let it slide.

As for Zelda, it has a lot of characters, but 2 of them are clones and 2 zelda's (although shiek is really unique). I'd say give toon link fire arrows and make the deku leaf thing his up special. De-clone ganondorf and add either impa/ganon/or any of the other villians and we are golden.

Punch out probably should have had little mac in both melee and brawl, i mean melee had both marth and roy even though it was a much smaller franchise.

Pikmin could use more enemy's/assist trophys considering how much unique stuff is in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom