• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Trophies and/or Stickers Return?

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
With Melee came trophies, and with Brawl came stickers. Do you feel that either of these were unnecessary additions? Do you have any ideas for a possible new type of collectable?
I think trophies are actually quite neat, and strangely addicting to collect for some reason in both Melee and Brawl. Something about trying to get 10 kills in Cruel Melee/Brawl or playing through Classic on Very Hard just to get a static model of a character is just so appealing to me for some reason. Maybe it's just because I love collecting things, but I can't really explain why I don't really care for stickers. I personally found them less appealing than trophies for some reason. Maybe because there was no model to look at. I definitely felt less compelled to collect them as I didn't really care to look at them and browse through my collection. In fact, the only reason I collect stickers is to:
1) Make trophy stands appear more often to get those (very annoying to collect) enemy and boss trophies, but I've gotten all of those so that's gone.
2) Get that freakin' stickers trophy which I still haven't gotten...ugh.
As for the last question, I honestly have no ideas. I was just throwing that out there to see what other creative minds could think of.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Trophies? Yes. Stickers? No. Stickers are nothing more than a way to lazily include cameos without putting any effort into research or model making.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Trophies should stay, but they shouldn't just use game model rips like in Brawl. We lost a lot of diversity that way.

Stickers should just go really. I'd rather see an art gallery.

:phone:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
After collecting all the trophys in Brawl I felt like I knew pretty much everything about nintendo, it's like having a great big book of everything nintendo.
They should make an organized list like in melee to make finding the trophy's quicker. With a sort by name and game function. I probably would've liked the stickers if they were easier to sort through.

I'd rather they use that spare memory to include photos or concept art, like that drawing they sketched on the whiteboard.
Maybe some footage of them making smash bros or an interview or sumthin.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Trophies should stay, but they shouldn't just use game model rips like in Brawl. We lost a lot of diversity that way.

Stickers should just go really. I'd rather see an art gallery.

Art gallery would be cool. And yeah, Brawl's trophies were kinda lame compared to Melee - no effort put into most of them, very few characters from pre-Gamecube systems represented.

After collecting all the trophys in Brawl I felt like I knew pretty much everything about nintendo, it's like having a great big book of everything nintendo.
Post-N64 history only. Melee's trophies were cool because, even though they looked a bit weird sometimes imo, they took inspiration from all over Nintendo's history. Brawl's trophies were...less interesting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
trophies, defiantly

stickers, id like to return but i wont be to upset if there not

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'd rather they use that spare memory to include photos or concept art, like that drawing they sketched on the whiteboard.
Maybe some footage of them making smash bros or an interview or sumthin.
That could be interesting actually. Maybe for unlocking all of the characters you get an interview with Sakuria. You could collect snapshots of what the game looked like through development, forming a sort of timeline. As well as concept art of stages, characters, etc. Including concept art of things that didn't actually make into the final product.

I'm glad to see that my opinion of the trophies in Brawl compared to Melee's is shared by some, that they just ripped models from other games, but I don't think that making ALL of the trophies look like they belong in the game is possible. I don't know how long it takes to "revamp" things with new textures, but I'm sure that it isn't easy. Maybe if there were some revamped trophies for each series, like what Brawl did for Mario (there were so many enemies in the SSE and other stuff that there ended up being quite a few) and Kirby (most if not all of the trophies in Kirby were revamped). Including some more stuff from pre-Gamecube would also be interesting, but I think that making all of those models for the post-Gamecube trophies would be quite irritating when they have so much else to worry about. Maybe if they had a team dedicated to designing/revamping trophies it could happen.

JPW

Smash Ace
i loved the Trophies. I think they're a great part of Smash Bros. And should stick around.

Stickers. I kind of liked what they try to do. I think there could of been more potential with it. What i saw as the true potential was taking a snapshot of a sticker page then printing that out or some stickers paper(don't know if that exist) and boom AWESOME STICKERS! Stickers you wouldn't really find in any store.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Trophies should absolutely stay, and I'm almost positive they will. I just hope they are more along the lines of Melee trophies (giving attention to old and forgotten Nintendo characters as well as current ones) instead of Brawl trophies (which were mostly rips from recent games).

Stickers I could care less about. They might play a part in the customization Sakurai was talking about for the 3DS (if stickers still work the same way), but honestly I'd shed no tears at their removal. It was a ***** to grind through getting like 695 random ones anyway. Like said above, I'd prefer an concept art/art gallery instead.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I don't understand why someone would complain about them ripping the models from other games and putting them on trophy stands.
I mean if they are gonna tell us the history about said character on the trophy stand shouldn't the model be that of the actual character, and not some revamped 3-D model?
Using the original sprites would make putting them on a trophy stand awkward, turning a flat character in 3 dimensions just doesn't work. Sprites should be placed on stickers , which can be flipped and rotated in 2-dimensions. While 3-D models should be placed on trophy stands (or not on any stand at all) where they can be viewed in 3 dimensions.

Lol I got an ad from dealtime.com advertising great deals on "Super Smash Brawl 2"

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll take both options. As redundant as the stickers may be, they do offer artworks that aren't designed to be converted into trophies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't understand why someone would complain about them ripping the models from other games and putting them on trophy stands.
I mean if they are gonna tell us the history about said character on the trophy stand shouldn't the model be that of the actual character, and not some revamped 3-D model?
Using the original sprites would make putting them on a trophy stand awkward, turning a flat character in 3 dimensions just doesn't work. Sprites should be placed on stickers , which can be flipped and rotated in 2-dimensions. While 3-D models should be placed on trophy stands (or not on any stand at all) where they can be viewed in 3 dimensions.
I'm not complaining about them reusing models, that's fine. I'm complaining that they ONLY made trophies for characters from Wii/Gamecube games they could rip models from, rather than making models for characters from Nintendo's past.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'm really just nitpicking about ripping models. It's not something I would go write an angry letter about. I just love seeing my favorite characters in those realistic Smash Bros style graphics, so it was kind of a let down that I didn't get to see as much as I expected in Brawl's trophies (not that I'm saying that there weren't any).
Turning a previously sprite-only character into a 3D model works all the time, especially in Smash Bros. Not only was it done for several characters, but also for several trophies in Melee and some in Brawl. Now, is it tedious to make a model of those characters just so that they can go on a trophy stand? Probably, and I wouldn't blame the developers if they only did it for a couple, if not any trophies. Maybe if the stickers actually provided some information about the character/object other than just the game it's from they would be a little more interesting for me, and would basically do what trophies do, but in 2D.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I'm basically trying to say, rip the original models, (unless the character made it into that current smash bros then go ahead and use that model) but for sprites, use stickers, for 3d models, use trophies.
I just thought it didn't make sense to view a sprite in a 3 dimensional viewer.
I like the list they used in melee. But being able to see the trophy made it easier to find one who's name you forgot. If you could toggle between a text list and a list with images of the trophy/sticker that'd be cool.
But if they chose one I'd prefer the brawl style list because seeing the image and having the trophys from the same games together makes more sense.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Using the original sprites would make putting them on a trophy stand awkward, turning a flat character in 3 dimensions just doesn't work. Sprites should be placed on stickers , which can be flipped and rotated in 2-dimensions. While 3-D models should be placed on trophy stands (or not on any stand at all) where they can be viewed in 3 dimensions..
For me, ripping some of the models is ok, but when almost all trophies (who weren't made for Brawl) were ripped from another game, it really comes off as lazy. Though I bet for Brawl it was more being rushed than actually being lazy. Plus I think part of the point of trophies has been to showcase Nintendo's characters through the different generations, which I think Melee did very well.

And sure, if the only choices are to make a 2D ripped trophy or a sticker, then I would go with sticker, but I don't understand the problem with creating a 3D model of a retro or forgotten character, as long as they use the original design or make it clear who the character is (like Pit, Excitebiker, Balloon Fighter, etc. in Melee). It wouldn't be a priority for the development team to do this (as evident in Brawl), but I don't understand why someone would be against it.

If your problem is just with trophies like Excitebiker and Lakitu in Brawl, then that would understandable, and what I said above wouldn't really apply. :embarrass:

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
I love stickers AND trophies. The only problem with stickers is that you never really felt like you "earned them" the same way as trophies. You just sort of pick them up as you go along, whereas a lot of trophies a special condition needed to be satisfied.

This could be solved by making stickers that couldn't be picked up randomly (I think there were actually a few like that in brawl) but the problem with that is they don't really make good rewards in general. Maybe you could buy stickers with coins? That would put the coins to good use other than trophy launcher. Or another possibility is you could earn stickers each time you racked up X amount of points in classic mode. I just feel picking them up randomly is boring.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
I like trophies. But in the melee way not brawl. I don't like stickers, trophies are epic

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
trophies are a must simply because they are just a great way to add something for people to collect. While stickers i do want to see return but have a bigger focus. In brawl's subspace story mode they were used to boost a characters properties. I personally would like to see that transition over into all of smashes modes. This way no one character is ever truly the same. Someones mario could play entirely different than someone else's just due to the fact they might've placed different stickers on their characters trophy stand. Stickers have potential to become more than just worthless collectables.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
The trophies are a great feature in my opinion and I feel that it is pretty much the best way to represent the various characters in Nintendo's history. It's been around since Melee and it still serves its purpose of explanation effectively. The only change I would like to see is if Nintendo added extra trophies for the playable characters (like in Melee). This includes the FS trophy; however, the other trophies can be used to explain the character movesets and their weaknesses + advantages (once again like in Melee). Aside from that, the trophies should definitely be kept.

The stickers on the other hand were useless for the most part. They were simply the artwork pieces of various characters/items from previous Nintendo games and aside from their minimal assistance in the adventure mode, they really served little purpose. I wouldn't be upset to see them go in the next Smash Bros..

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Considering it's the only way to represent and explain Nintendo's history in this game, stickers and trophies must return. Besides, I love to decorate with them and take pictures. :)

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
So much fun to collect imo. Trophies and CDs are great ideas. Stickers were frustrating to collect. I want them to stay

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I still haven't collected all the stickers in Barwl yet, lol. I don't play with items, might be the reason why. I have 25 left or so...

Trophies are great, especially the rare ones which you'll have to do some kind of challenge to obtain. For instance, didn't you get the Mew trophy in Melee when you finished All-star mode on very hard? Anyway, the Giga Bowser trophy in the same game was fun to get too.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I have hundreds of stickers left... I say use the data on the annoying pieces of decorative ink on something better like target smash for individual characters or something.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Agrees on that. The stickers felt like a hassle to collect. Melee's trophies were actually worth collecting.
And also very tedious to scroll through all your stickers. You don't appreciate the artwork when there are so many stickers that you don't have the time to watch them...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I always liked the trophies, with their descriptions and further representation of the many Nintendo series. stickers were a waster opportunity to have an "artwork gallery" where you could see artwork from other Nintendo games, past and present, as well as concept art.

for example, official art from Pokémon by Ken Sugimori or art from both earlier and modern Mario games. earlier and concept art would be great as well, since it would give insight on characters and concepts who never saw an official release. all this in a good high resolution: some stickers were way too small when the original art was quite big.

in other words: artwork from previous games and power up system, yes, but not together.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
They should have something similar to idols in SSB4 like in Kid Icarus Uprising. Models are all animated and the like. Maybe keep them as trophies but pressing a button would allow the character or what have you be animated? I dunno, but I kinda liked looking at idols more than trophies. Especially locales that had some animation in KIU.

Stickers, not really sure. I never messed around too much with them besides SSE.

InternetDramaOhNoes

Smash Rookie
Wow, concept art is such a super cool idea. Add me on board.

And while stickers should just take a hike, the coin launcher game should return with a vengeance as it was the best thing about Brawl anyways.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I liked enough much the use of the stickers in Brawl. So I'm all for their return.
Also, I would increase their effect and give the possibility to rotate and shrink them.
I would allow to use them to decorate the costum stages.
And for the home run record, I would put a random different sticker every time, maybe the lowest class of them, but not always that ****ing boo sticker! I'm so sick of that! Aren't you?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm indifferent towards stickers. I never used them, and I feel they're a lazy way to add 'content', but I don't think they take enough development time or disk space to warrant getting upset about.

Carolus Rex

Smash Cadet
I can't imagine a Smash Bros. without trophies, even if the first one didn't have them (sorta).
I have though a few complaints about what they did in Melee and Brawl.

In Melee, I basically hated all the alternative character trophies. We're talking about 54 (I think) trophies of playable characters with a different palette color which explained only the special moves. I agree on having more trophies for the same character, if it makes sense (like Mario, Dr. Mario, Paper Mario, Tanooki Mario... Not Mario and Mario 2 with Wario's clothes). Still it's true that they gave more attention on retro games which was nice.

Brawl had the good amount of trophies (which I hope is DOUBLED in Sm4sh, yes doubled) but the balance of distribution was terrible.
First, I didn't like 90% of the Subspace Emissary trophies. Aside from the fact that a lot of them were a real pain in the *** to collect, most of them sucked. Like that dude, the Arthionet, or the one who blows wind out of his mouth. We're talking about 50 trophies I think of original dudes nobody cares about.
Also, WAY TOO MANY pokémon trophies. I think it's the biggest category of all. Also, what's up with the caps lock? Why to we have "Pokémon Trainer" and "SQUIRTLE"? Never quite got that. I think there's every single starter ever, which is understandable, but it's better if they do trophies like "Generation II starters" with Totodile, Chikorita and Cyndaquil on the same stand next time, just to save two free slots. Also, their quality was really bad. I like when a trophy resembles the same kind of graphics the trophy had in the original game, but Pokémons just seem quite off and bland in Brawl. Something about the colors probably.
Kirby too had to many trophies if you ask me, especially when some other franchises like Mother, Fire Emblem and Metroid had so little. Why don't we have the Ultimate Chimera trophy? It even appears in New Pork City. Where is Mother Brain? It's like they don't want to show her because she's creepy as hell. Meh.
And finally, what happened to Sonic? Jet and Silver? Seriously? Blaze? What about giving the franchise some good trophies next time?
Something I would like for the next time:
- more trophies of stages or places in the franchise
- animated trophies, you tap A and the trophy makes a little animation, maybe even a sound
- just get rid of that mode in which you can put trophies and then make a picture of them, I think nobody really used that
- maybe they can make possible to switch trophies via online, pokémon-style.
- maybe something like a new trophy every day, how hard can it be? Like Level-5 does with Layton's puzzles.

About stickers, I kinda liked them. Sure they're cheap and all but some of them are good to look at. They're a pain in the *** to collect (I got to 697), so maybe a little easier next time, but they can stay.
Trophies are the priority though. C'mon they're relatively easy to make, just give me a whole bunch of them and I'm happy.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@Carolus
The CAPS LOCK was only in the PAL version, i believe.

As for my opinion, Brawl had too many trophies of recent games. For example, The Zelda section is full of Twilight princess trophies and some wind waker ones, very few from others.

I don't really care about stickers. Just a random collection of artwork and sprites. Unless they offer a way to print them.:bee:

Carolus Rex

Smash Cadet
Lol then then it's even more strange, why only in the PAL version? Anyway yes, we need more retro trophies. I think stickers could have an interesting use in the Miiverse, anyway.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I kinda liked Melee having more throphies for playable characters. One regular one, which explains the role of the character in their game series, and one for their Smash character, using their Smash model. A 3rd one was too much indeed however.

Top Bottom