• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should they Give the Sonic Storybook Series Another Chance?

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Greetings,

As the title suggests, I am here to talk about the Sonic storybook series. I know this is not exactly related to Super Smash Bros, but I just felt like bringing it up.

For those whom are unfamiliar with the series, the Sonic storybook series is a series of Sonic games whose stories are based on fairy tales and legends. So far, there have been two games in the storybook series: Sonic and the Secret Rings, based on Aladdin and the Magic Lamp, and Sonic and the Black Knight, based on Arthurian legend. The Sonic storybook games play differently from other Sonic games. In the storybook games, Sonic runs freely, regardless of the player's will. It is up to the player to guide Sonic through the stage whilst he is running. Thus far, the games have traditionally had an original character whom ends up bringing Sonic into their world. The characters in said world are often doppelgangers of other Sonic characters. Whilst Sonic and the Secret Rings was both a decent game and success, unfortunately the same cannot be said for the second installment, Sonic and the Black Knight. Since the release of Sonic and the Black Knight in 2009, the series has come to a standstill.

So! Main question: do you think Sega should give the Sonic storybook series another chance? If so, what tales do you think it could or should be based on? As for me, I would love to see another entry in the series, for I did enjoy Sonic and the Secret Rings (cannot say the same for Sonic and the Black Knight, however). I thought of these story and gameplay ideas for the fun of it. Probably not the most imaginative ideas, but here goes:

[collapse="Ideas"]♦ Sonic in Wonderland

The story could be based off of Alice in Wonderland. It could begin with Sonic falling asleep, then finding himself stuck in a dream world with a girl named Alice. As for gameplay, they could bring back Speed Break and Time Break from Sonic and the Secret Rings. They could also include a new gameplay element called Dream Break--this feature could make great use of the Wii U game pad. Dream Break could grant Sonic various powers, depending on the stage and situation. For instance, every once in a while the camera can shift to either overhead view or side view--during this time, if the player executes Dream Break, the game will stop and the player will be able to draw a line on the game pad, which will guide Sonic. Any enemy or obstacle Sonic collides with whilst he is cruising along the drawn line will be destroyed. Another Dream Break power could make use of the game pad's microphone. If the player yells or blows in the microphone, a myriad of musical notes appear and swirl forward, destroying any enemy or obstacle in front of Sonic, potentially revealing hidden pathways. Lastly, the third Dream Break power could be executed simply by shaking the Wii U game pad, which will trigger an earthquake than stuns enemies and reveals hidden items and pathways. There could be certain bosses that can only be hurt or defeated with a certain Dream Break power.

♦ Sonic and the Flying Dutchman

This could be a spooky, yet comical story involving the mythical ghost ship called the Flying Dutchman. The story could begin with Sonic's soul being separated from his body, which then gets possessed by a powerful and evil phantom whom is up to no good. Accompanied by a mysterious female spirit, Sonic must defeat this evil phantom and reclaim his body.
Now that Sonic is a spirit, physical obstacles such as walls are a thing of the past. However, there are new things that can hurt or help him: spirits and phantoms. To put it bluntly, spirits are the good guys, and phantoms are the bad guys. Spirits and phantoms can take on the form of many things, such as platforms, grind rails, spiked balls, enemies, etc. Once again, Speed Break and Time Break could appear again, along with the third new power: Spirit Break. This power could once again make use of the Wii U game pad.

♦ Sonic and the Lost Boys

Obviously, this title could be based off of Peter Pan, with Sonic taking the role of Pan. Wendy could be an original character, whilst the other characters could be doppelgangers. The Lost Boys could consist of Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Silver, and Charmy. Obviously, Dr. Robotnik could be Captain Hook. The gameplay of this title could be a mix of ground action and flight. The Lost Boys could have a bigger role than simply being supporting characters; they could be used to change the gameplay in many ways. For instance, Tails could help Sonic get to places via flight that would otherwise be inaccessible. Knuckles could destroy obstacles that no other character can, revealing hidden paths and items. Shadow could use his power over time and space to help Sonic get past difficult obstacles. Silver could use his telekinetic powers to move indestructible obstacles, revealing hidden paths and whatnot. Lastly, Charmy could help find hidden items and treasures the other characters cannot.[/collapse]

But anyhow, what say you lot?

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Like I said in the original post, I am aware it is not related to Smash Bros, but I just felt like bringing it up. [Shrugs] But oh well. If the mods want to lock or move the thread, they can.
well it could be the third game in the sega and nintendo deal so it is nintendo related

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
well it could be the third game in the sega and nintendo deal so it is nintendo related
Since Sonic Boom's the third Nintendo exclusive Sonic game, that's out of the question. Though, I wouldn't mind another Storybook game, as long as it has much better controls than Secret Rings did. I didn't like that one very much.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Since Sonic Boom's the third Nintendo exclusive Sonic game, that's out of the question. Though, I wouldn't mind another Storybook game, as long as it has much better controls than Secret Rings did. I didn't like that one very much.
This doesn't mean much as of now, but I hear some PR talk that Nintendo and Sega are considering "dis-counting" Mario & Sonic at Sochi 2014 as the second Nintendo exclusive title, and replacing it with Sonic Boom.

In regards to the OP, I liked Secret Rings, and loved Black Knight despite it's flawed gameplay. So I would be down for another storybook game. However, I don't think they should focus on motion controls or anything.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
This doesn't mean much as of now, but I hear some PR talk that Nintendo and Sega are considering "dis-counting" Mario & Sonic at Sochi 2014 as the second Nintendo exclusive title, and replacing it with Sonic Boom.

In regards to the OP, I liked Secret Rings, and loved Black Knight despite it's flawed gameplay. So I would be down for another storybook game. However, I don't think they should focus on motion controls or anything.
Just go back to the boost, it's what worked best.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I dunno boom seems like it's the perfect mix of platforming, speed, combat and exploration which works for sonic

Yeah, it looks great but I doubt they'll use all that in the main Modern Sonic branch for some reason. If you ask me, I think they'll either bring back the boost from Generations or expand upon the parkour system from Lost World, both of which I'd glady accept

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Yeah, it looks great but I doubt they'll use all that in the main Modern Sonic branch for some reason. If you ask me, I think they'll either bring back the boost from Generations or expand upon the parkour system from Lost World, both of which I'd glady accept
No I think they are gonna do something new I don't know what but they will

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
No I think they are gonna do something new I don't know what but they will
If they do go for something new, just please, oh please don't make Sonic run forward constantly. Actually give us some free control is all I ask. Oh, and Secret Rings-like music. I loved the soundtrack despite disliking the game. Though that's a standard for all Sonic games, really.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Takashi Iizuka (the producer of the Sonic games - consider him the Sakurai of Sonic) already stated that Sonic Generations was the end of the boost gameplay. The next Japanese Sonic game will likely carry on the parkour from Lost World in some way.

But really, all I want now is that Zelda DLC for Lost World. Really curious as to what they might do for it.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Takashi Iizuka (the producer of the Sonic games - consider him the Sakurai of Sonic) already stated that Sonic Generations was the end of the boost gameplay. The next Japanese Sonic game will likely carry on the parkour from Lost World in some way.

But really, all I want now is that Zelda DLC for Lost World. Really curious as to what they might do for it.
Huh. I didn't recall Iizuka saying that it was done for good, but okay then. I loved Lost World, but I knew the flaws and the parkour was done a bit badly. Fun, but for newcomers not very well. I'm curious as to what they'll do with it, assuming they continue with it.

And yeah, that Zelda DLC! Iwata said it was coming early 2014, so I expected to see it in the last Direct but we didn't.. I'm wondering if they forgot about it or just tossed the idea away. I mean, it'd more than likely be way more interesting to see Sonic in a Zelda stage rather than a short 2D Yoshi one.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm guessing that it's actually gonna be a 3D stage. As it's definitely taking longer than anticipated. Maybe the art style is realistic too. I was expecting a Wind Waker themed one initially, but maybe it isn't.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I'm guessing that it's actually gonna be a 3D stage. As it's definitely taking longer than anticipated. Maybe the art style is realistic too. I was expecting a Wind Waker themed one initially, but maybe it isn't.
I'm thinking it's a 3D stage as well. I'm expecting it to appear in the next Direct, as by the time March or April comes around something small like that should be done.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm up for another storybook game, just last week I had a pretty clever idea about one for Peter Pan (DON'T LAUGH)

Sonic- Peter
Blaze- Wendy
Tails- John
Charmy- Michael
Doctor Eggman- Captain Hook
Shadow- Mr Smee
Amy Rose- Tiger Lily
Espio, Silver, and Jet- Lost Boys
Knuckles, Mighty, and E123 Omega- Pirates
Vector- The Crocodile that Hook's scared of
Big the Cat- Indian Cheif

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I'm up for another storybook game, just last week I had a pretty clever idea about one for Peter Pan (DON'T LAUGH)

Sonic- Peter
Blaze- Wendy
Tails- John
Charmy- Michael
Shadow- Mr Smee
Amy Rose- Tiger Lily
Reminds me of Sonic Rush Adventure.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'd like to see a game based on pirates as the next storybook game, Although peter pan wasn't exactly what I had in mind

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
DS. The sequel to Sonic Rush if ya know about that. Basically it takes place in Blaze's dimension and Sonic and etc face off against robot pirates and the like. Also, it has some rockin tunes as any Sonic fan would expect.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
It would be cool to see a storybook game based around Greek mythology. With Sonic's friends playing as all the different gods.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Whoa, I had NOT realised anybody replied to this thread.

Sonic- Peter
Blaze- Wendy
Tails- John
Charmy- Michael
Shadow- Mr Smee
Amy Rose- Tiger Lily
Eh, I do not know about Shadow being Smee, as Shadow is really more of the kind whom lives by his own rules rather than being someone's loyal pet. To mine memory, the only times Shadow has played the part of the lackey is when that person had something he wanted. In mine opinion, the role of Smee would be better off played by either Orbot or Cubot.

It would be cool to see a storybook game based around Greek mythology. With Sonic's friends playing as all the different gods.
I actually came up with a Greek Mythology-based story idea, but could not think of a unique gameplay concept, so I chose not to post it. I was thinking this particular story could be Sonic-only, with all the gods being original human-like characters.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Secret Rings was a flawed, but interesting little game. They had a chance to iron things out and deliver a really cool experience, a Sonic game that was only possible on the Wii. What they made was Black Knight, a terrible, terrible game. I say let this sub-series stay buried. They had their chance and they blew it.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Secret Rings was a flawed, but interesting little game. They had a chance to iron things out and deliver a really cool experience, a Sonic game that was only possible on the Wii. What they made was Black Knight, a terrible, terrible game. I say let this sub-series stay buried. They had their chance and they blew it.
Personally I'm more interested in Riders. And a GOOD one, not another Free Riders *shivers*

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I, personally, never liked the Storybook Series. I say just drop it, never was a good idea in the first place and I felt like it was some sort of secret advertising for me to read.

DarkspineHero228

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkspineHero228
3DS FC
4639-9938-5875
I wouldn't mind another storybook game, just as long as it doesn't use any stupid gimmicks or gameplay styles. The gameplay in Secret Rings and Black Knight we're terrible. Awful controls, really linear, bad controls, etc. It was just an overall mess. BUT, if they adapted the boost formula, or even better, the Adventure formula, then the levels will actually be really fun to go through. On top of that, the storybook games have really good environments a. So, it would be really cool to see another beautiful Sonic game that can push the console's limits.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
A greek-mythology storybook Sonic game, just look at how well Apotos from Sonic Unleashed worked!

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
How about a new Sonic Adventure or something of that style first, THEN we get back to gimmicky stuff? So long as it's not on-rails anymore.

smashfan666

Smash Cadet
NNID
NobelSmashington
3DS FC
2981-8328-3883
i'd be interested in seeing a Wizard of Oz-based installment if they did give the storybook series another go.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Ahh man. . .I loved the Storybook series games. I knew a lot of people who very much disliked them for going off tangent with the usual Sonic elements & direction, but as a sonic fan in general, I liked them. As far as a storybook series idea, I'd go with Greek mythology since there would be so much potential to utilize considering all the Greek gods & goddesses. Titans? Hell yeah.

It could even be based off Homer's Odyssey with Odysseus starring Sonic in some way.

Western sounds cool too, though all these ideas seem for naught because the Storbook series games weren't selling well, & SEGA discontinued selling them in stores shortly after Sonic the Hedgehog 4: EP 1 & Sonic Colors released selling better.

Top Bottom