• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should the wireframes be legal?

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed tournaments using the Hack Pack on some setups. Do you think players should be allowed to play as the wireframes (or SoPo) in actual matches?

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Aren't the wireframes exactly the same as the clone characters that they're from? If so then it's just a texture mod, and nothing changes the way the game is played. *thumbs up* I'm on board

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Aren't the wireframes exactly the same as the clone characters that they're from? If so then it's just a texture mod, and nothing changes the way the game is played. *thumbs up* I'm on board
There's actually quite a few notable differences from the characters they're cloned from. They're unable to do special moves, their A-moves are all around weaker with different knock back angles, and they're much floater than the original characters. I think they keep their old dash speeds, though.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
There's actually quite a few notable differences from the characters they're cloned from. They're unable to do special moves, their A-moves are all around weaker with different knock back angles, and they're much floater than the original characters. I think they keep their old dash speeds, though.
Oh I didn't know this, that's really weird. Then no, they should not be allowed to be used at tournaments. That's kind of an easy question to answer since not everyone has the chance to practice the matchup, and it completely skews the way the game is meant to be played; meta-game wise.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
A better question would be who would want to play them? They are objectively inferior to every other character in the game.

Crawfiish

Smash Cadet
I've noticed tournaments using the Hack Pack on some setups. Do you think players should be allowed to play as the wireframes (or SoPo) in actual matches?
The only thing I think should be allowed is SoPo, and even then nobody would play him because he'd only do well in low tier tournies

I think cruel wireframes are just regular wireframes, but the game mode gives some sort of a crazy multiplier to their knockback, no?

Bones0

Smash Legend
People without the hack pack have no way to practice as or against wireframes. This is the same reason the hacked Green Greens will never be a legal stage, no matter how cool it is.

Kadano

Magical Express
Hacked Green Greens is easily the best stage imho.

The problem with wireframes is that you can’t select them on most if not all tournament setups. I have something like 6 Melee setups at my place, and only two of them can play hacked Melee (one softmodded Wii and one Qoob Pro). I used to have the stage improvement hacks on them (no fly guys on YS, no wind on DL, no PS transformations), but recently some local players asked me to revert them back to vanilla. They argued that because not all of my setups feature them, the version of the game varies depending on what setup you’re assigned to. To me, that totally made sense (even though I personally would always prefer to play the improved stages on any tournament I’m attending if given the opportunity), so I followed their request.

For wireframes, it’s basically the same, except that you also have to decide whether Giga Bowser should be allowed, as he can be chosen from the debug menu as well. I think it’s pretty obvious his shield is overpowered, but I can see how you could argue for the opposite.

Yurika

Smash Rookie
Not like wireframes are really that good of characters anyways, they'd get rocked in competitive play for sure with their one-dimensional fighting.

Fighting polygons? Maybe... That could be fun, but wire frames are bland and uselessly weak one way or the other.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hacked Green Greens is easily the best stage imho.

The problem with wireframes is that you can’t select them on most if not all tournament setups. I have something like 6 Melee setups at my place, and only two of them can play hacked Melee (one softmodded Wii and one Qoob Pro). I used to have the stage improvement hacks on them (no fly guys on YS, no wind on DL, no PS transformations), but recently some local players asked me to revert them back to vanilla. They argued that because not all of my setups feature them, the version of the game varies depending on what setup you’re assigned to. To me, that totally made sense (even though I personally would always prefer to play the improved stages on any tournament I’m attending if given the opportunity), so I followed their request.

For wireframes, it’s basically the same, except that you also have to decide whether Giga Bowser should be allowed, as he can be chosen from the debug menu as well. I think it’s pretty obvious his shield is overpowered, but I can see how you could argue for the opposite.
If I ever hosted another tournament, I would actually try out using Action Replay to disable the minor stage hazards and PS transformations. Since it's loaded from a memory card and you don't need the AR disc once you start the game, I'm pretty sure you can just load up all of the cubes with a single AR. Any Wii setups would have to be modded though.

Top Bottom