• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Single Sex Schools be Mandatory?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hearing this many times from people I have wondered about this.

Some say that having an one gender only school would stop them from having a relationship with those of the opposite gender.

Another point I heard was how the gender of the school authorities and who teaches the class can make a difference with student confidence level and how well they participate in a subject.

What are your thoughts? Do you think a Single Gender only school will help the younger generations if it is made mandatory?

Personally, I believe this would help both sexes since both will not be distracted with infatuation during Academics and can have interactions with the opposite gender fulfilled in Non-Academic Situations, out of school and such.

Edit: Points added by those in favor of Same Sex Schools:

"
Making the case for single-sex education
Those who advocate for single-sex education in public schools argue that:

• Some parents don't want their children to be in mixed-gender classrooms because, especially at certain ages, students of the opposite sex can be a distraction.
  • Leonard Sax and others agree that merely placing boys in separate classrooms from girls accomplishes little. But single-sex education enhances student success when teachers use techniques geared toward the gender of their students.
  • Some research indicates that girls learn better when classroom temperature is warm, while boys perform better in cooler classrooms. If that's true, then the temperature in a single-sex classroom could be set to optimize the learning of either male or female students.
  • Some research and reports from educators suggest that single-sex education can broaden the educational prospects for both girls and boys. Advocates claim co-ed schools tend to reinforce gender stereotypes, while single-sex schools can break down gender stereotypes. For example, girls are free of the pressure to compete with boys in male-dominated subjects such as math and science. Boys, on the other hand, can more easily pursue traditionally "feminine" interests such as music and poetry. One mother, whose daughter has attended a girls-only school for three years, shares her experience on the GreatSchools parent community: "I feel that the single gender environment has given her a level of confidence and informed interest in math and science that she may not have had otherwise."
  • Federal law supports the option of single-sex education. In 2006, Education Secretary Margaret Spellings eased federal regulations, allowing schools to offer single-sex classrooms and schools, as long as such options are completely voluntary. This move gives parents and school districts greater flexibility."
Source:

http://www.greatschools.org/find-a-...139-single-sex-education-the-pros-and-cons.gs

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Some parents don't want their children to be in mixed-gender classrooms because, especially at certain ages, students of the opposite sex can be a distraction.
So what? I don't think a parents preference of what classifications of people are our their child are of any concern to the issue as a whole.

Leonard Sax and others agree that merely placing boys in separate classrooms from girls accomplishes little. But single-sex education enhances student success when teachers use techniques geared toward the gender of their students.
I'm sure that's the case. I'm sure it's also the case for any sub-category you can make. You could likely divide students by, say, race and teach through the lens of whatever culture of prevalent amongst those races and achieve better results.

Some research indicates that girls learn better when classroom temperature is warm, while boys perform better in cooler classrooms. If that's true, then the temperature in a single-sex classroom could be set to optimize the learning of either male or female students.
Source? Even if it's true universally , that's a pretty trivial thing to divide students over.

Some research and reports from educators suggest that single-sex education can broaden the educational prospects for both girls and boys. Advocates claim co-ed schools tend to reinforce gender stereotypes, while single-sex schools can break down gender stereotypes. For example, girls are free of the pressure to compete with boys in male-dominated subjects such as math and science. Boys, on the other hand, can more easily pursue traditionally "feminine" interests such as music and poetry. One mother, whose daughter has attended a girls-only school for three years, shares her experience on the GreatSchools parent community: "I feel that the single gender environment has given her a level of confidence and informed interest in math and science that she may not have had otherwise."
I don't quite understand how co-ed schools reinforce gender stereotypes. In public schooling, you take the same classes regardless of who you are. They don't just stick females in home-ec and males in phys ed. They both take both. I also don't agree that separating them necessarily means that stereotypes are broken down. In fact, I'd say they could also reinforce them. If the school's full of just one sex, there's gonna be nobody to notice gender stereotype reinforcement in the first place.

Federal law supports the option of single-sex education. In 2006, Education Secretary Margaret Spellings eased federal regulations, allowing schools to offer single-sex classrooms and schools, as long as such options are completely voluntary. This move gives parents and school districts greater flexibility."
And that's fine. I don't agree with single-sex classrooms/education, but if it's voluntary, I can't complain too much.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
So what? I don't think a parents preference of what classifications of people are our their child are of any concern to the issue as a whole.
Though I would consider studying this program once it becomes mandatory to see if the results are sufficient.

I'm sure that's the case. I'm sure it's also the case for any sub-category you can make. You could likely divide students by, say, race and teach through the lens of whatever culture of prevalent amongst those races and achieve better results.
That point is understandable; however, the differences between the physique and philosophy between gender and race are larger. Sex would be more complex to teach and have much greater impact than those who are of the same ace.

Source? Even if it's true universally , that's a pretty trivial thing to divide students over.
Here is a link to the document file, look for "Teacher Gender Matters":

https://cepa.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/ednext20064_68.pdf

I don't quite understand how co-ed schools reinforce gender stereotypes. In public schooling, you take the same classes regardless of who you are. They don't just stick females in home-ec and males in phys ed. They both take both. I also don't agree that separating them necessarily means that stereotypes are broken down. In fact, I'd say they could also reinforce them. If the school's full of just one sex, there's gonna be nobody to notice gender stereotype reinforcement in the first place.
Though it would have some determent to the relation between the sexes, it would not destroy any understanding of either sex as the opposing sex could be found in non-academical places.

And that's fine. I don't agree with single-sex classrooms/education, but if it's voluntary, I can't complain too much.
Having Single Sex Schools be non-mandatory would be fine with me as well; however, I am curious if this would prolong and further the educations and academic skills of the youth.

AfungusAmongus

Smash Apprentice
I believe this would help both sexes since both will not be distracted with infatuation during Academics [...] Some parents don't want their children to be in mixed-gender classrooms because, especially at certain ages, students of the opposite sex can be a distraction.
This argument presumes that infatuation and sexual interest is heterosexual.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This argument presumes that infatuation and sexual interest is heterosexual.
As it can be taken that way, that is not the initial focus. Having single sex schools would also distract those that are homosexual/bisexual as they would still be distracted either way in either Public or Sex Specific Schools.

This thesis is mainly used in an attempt to divide the Genders thinking it will help improve Academic Grades.

Edit: Implementing another Facility for those that are homosexuals/Bisexuals would only reverse the progress that Society has made in relations to the LGBT community.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Personally, I don't believe separating genders will improve anything, other than perhaps the teen pregnancy rate. Mind you, this is one of the few occurrences I'm debating without any sources or scientific reasons other than my own guess (for lack of a better term). As was stated earlier, the fact that students can be homosexual/bisexual would also void the attraction argument. I can buy the temperature-controlled rooms, etc., and perhaps it can do some (if anything at all) to boost grades. As for their behavior, it probably wouldn't make too much of a difference.

Don't misunderstand me, however, as I am neither for or against such an idea, but what I will say is that should something like this be realized, especially in the public school system, the least they can do is make it optional (as was stated in the OP).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Some parents don't want their children to be in mixed-gender classrooms because, especially at certain ages, students of the opposite sex can be a distraction.
And rather than go through that period during school and learn how to interact with other genders in a professional level, they expect them to know that when they're fresh adults?

Leonard Sax and others agree that merely placing boys in separate classrooms from girls accomplishes little. But single-sex education enhances student success when teachers use techniques geared toward the gender of their students.
Howard Gardners theory of multiple intelligences show that there's (at least) 7 different ways that people can learn best. (Some are bodily kinaesthetic learners (learn by doing) some are verbal linguistic learners, ect.) Should we separate the classes to those as well to use techniques geared towards those aspects? The thing is, once you leave primary/high school, if you go into university, they only teach one way. Boys traditionally don't learn the best through essay writing for example: If they instead learn through teaching methods solely aimed at that, when it comes to university, boys will be screwed, because they've never learned how to write an essay, because boys traditionally don't learn best with them.

Some research indicates that girls learn better when classroom temperature is warm, while boys perform better in cooler classrooms. If that's true, then the temperature in a single-sex classroom could be set to optimize the learning of either male or female students.
Sorry, but the world outside the classroom isn't in climate-controlled bubbles, so why should they again be acclimatised to that?

Some research and reports from educators suggest that single-sex education can broaden the educational prospects for both girls and boys. Advocates claim co-ed schools tend to reinforce gender stereotypes, while single-sex schools can break down gender stereotypes. For example, girls are free of the pressure to compete with boys in male-dominated subjects such as math and science. Boys, on the other hand, can more easily pursue traditionally "feminine" interests such as music and poetry.
I actually agree with this. I volunteer with Robogals, a group that go to schools and hold workshops to teach girls engineering and robotics. Part of this though is to try and show that it's not just a boy-only thing. Some classes like this would certainly be good, but again, it shouldn't be exclusively all the time. Again, the workforce will contain women and men together, and if they can't learn the skills to work with them...

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I don't necessarily agree that it's better to segregate genders k-12 though I can attest that during 8th grade it was actually quite impossible to concentrate in class cause I was pretty much preoccupied the whole time with girls, lol. Ugh, then we had group activities and they're all like "dude, do your work" and I'm like "dude, you have b00bs." >.>;

:D

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I don't think it would help. Concentrating the same gender, given constant number of pupils per school, can also increase other distractions which occur more often with more pupils of the same gender.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Mandatory seems like a bad idea. Experiencing life with the other sex & building relation ships (not necessarily dating) is a big part of life, doing this will stunt the child's growth as a person. I personally think that sheltering your child is a very bad idea, but obviously not everyone agrees with me.

Accelerator

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't have to be mandatory. It should be up to the parents what type of environment they want their children to learn in. On the matter of whether it would increase performance if a teacher is the same sex as the student, this has been proven true.

The reason being female and male teachers vary their grading scale. Male teachers tend to give higher priority to test, quizzes, and homework; while female teachers base more of the grade on group work.

Like I said though, it doesn't have to be mandatory because the option to attend this type of school is available. The parents will make the choice.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Personally, I disagree with even leaving it up to the parents' choice. It's different when the choices are different schools since there's more than just that variable, but if there was a situation in which a parent had the option of just choosing integrated or non-integrated, I'd disagree with having that choice. There are many preferences parents can have about what's "best" for their child, but they're definitely not always right. Take vaccinations for example. Most sane people don't respect a parent's ability to "choose what's best for their child" when it comes to their health. I don't have that respect with regards to education either.

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
Single-sex won't prepare children for real life when they're going to have to know how to interact with the opposite sex

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Single-sex schools prevent social interaction with the opposite sex, hindering the students' ability to interact with them.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
And rather than go through that period during school and learn how to interact with other genders in a professional level, they expect them to know that when they're fresh adults?
This and points like this are valid, but what do we know of the extent of the effects this actually has on their ability to work with other genders? And what of ways to alleviate those effects?

Stuff like coordinating events, community projects, and sports between two opp sex schools could streamline the process. School is not actually very productive social interaction training as it is.
Howard Gardners theory of multiple intelligences show that there's (at least) 7 different ways that people can learn best. (Some are bodily kinaesthetic learners (learn by doing) some are verbal linguistic learners, ect.) Should we separate the classes to those as well to use techniques geared towards those aspects? The thing is, once you leave primary/high school, if you go into university, they only teach one way. Boys traditionally don't learn the best through essay writing for example: If they instead learn through teaching methods solely aimed at that, when it comes to university, boys will be screwed, because they've never learned how to write an essay, because boys traditionally don't learn best with them.
I highly doubt k-12 would avoid teaching boys how to write essays unless english stops being a mandatory field every grade.

Sorry, but the world outside the classroom isn't in climate-controlled bubbles, so why should they again be acclimatised to that?
The learning process is different from a working environment. We have so many dropouts and people who passed but shouldn't have... If we can increase the baseline, I don't think suddenly being without the optimal temperature as an adult will harm them much.

I actually agree with this. I volunteer with Robogals, a group that go to schools and hold workshops to teach girls engineering and robotics. Part of this though is to try and show that it's not just a boy-only thing. Some classes like this would certainly be good, but again, it shouldn't be exclusively all the time. Again, the workforce will contain women and men together, and if they can't learn the skills to work with them...
This gives me an idea, what of just making some classes single-sex? Which classes would be good candidates?

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Single-sex schools would work for some students....but would probably screw up transgender youth far more than the school system already has, sure some transgender youth are already in the process of transitioning, but would they be allowed in the school of the gender they identify as or the gender they were assigned at birth?

Secondly, those students who are transgender, but are not fully aware of it will likely become greatly depressed and feel greatly left out if forced to attend a school focusing on the sex they do not wish to be, but were assigned at birth.

I am very much interested in hearing your thoughts on this concept in regards to transgender youth (since no one mentioned it as far as I could tell)

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
Well, speaking from experience, I find that mono-sex schools do not help with anything at all. Regardless of sex, the students become sexual repressed and, most importantly, extremely awkward around the opposite sex, unless they have constant interactions outside of school. I can say that there was no, 'How to effectively act towards potential lovers and friends of the opposite sex 101'. On a more serious note, female teachers who would be considered 'not very attractive' were fawned over and sexually harassed constantly; the same thing can be said about 'attractive' female teachers, save for the harassment part because almost all of the students would be too afraid to approach them for help and the marks in said classes were subsequently lower (for that reason and a serious case of love sickness).

Making it mandatory for students to attend same sex schools would just add to our already failing education system. The job market demands for charismatic people that have a plethora of talents, work experience and a degree. Sitting on a degree alone with none of these skills will do nothing for our students.

To clarify, being socially isolated and force fed mostly irrelevant information does not ready a student for the work force; hell, in my area, a student does not prepare for their career choice until college; Some are lucky enough to be admitted into the few specialized technical High schools in the local area. Besides that, no form of preparation for the real world is provided to the students and their poor parents who spends excess amounts of money for their children to attend private institutions for better 'education'.

Grades do not equate to being a successful individual. What students need to learn in school, prior to college, no one teaches... (Then again, there might be schools who implemented a better way for interaction between sexes; all I know is mine's did not)

ELRACj

Smash Cadet
NNID
ELRACjXL
3DS FC
2809-9153-3892
Since you are making this a debate, is this an actual thing that is starting to happen somewhere. What, country or city is this mandatory in.

ELRACj

Smash Cadet
NNID
ELRACjXL
3DS FC
2809-9153-3892
Also it would be nice if you acknowledged some cons of single sex schools in the initial comment imo.

Top Bottom