• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Pikachu be High Tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sariku

Smash Master
That's my question. Should Pikachu, be a high tier?

Now I can state that Captian Falco and Shiek, character like that, are better. But then like Mario, Pikachu is better all around if you ask me.

Why isn't Pikachu high tier?

Smash Ace
I don't know, but that IS a good question. I still wonder why Mario isn't crap tier.
you do know that Pikachu was nerfed from 64 didn't you?

Sariku

Smash Master
I don't know, but that IS a good question. I still wonder why Mario isn't crap tier.
you do know that Pikachu was nerfed from 64 didn't you?
Yes I do. Ness, Pichu, and Kirby we're the best fighters in that game. But now they are said to be one of the worst. I can see Ness and Kirby low now, but Pikachu has such a Great Arial Game, Smash Attacks, Throws, RECOVERY, don't even get me started on that.

Anther

Smash Champion
Whoa... well why is pikachu better all around than mario? Is he really as versatile as him? What I want to know is what you're trying to back this up with.

Sariku

Smash Master
Well I just think Mario is a good character, I totally agree. But compared to Pikachu he's kinda... bleh.
Let me try to get into some Detail, which Character is better in these catergories.

Tilts - Pikachu (Better Range, except SmashTilt)
Recovery - Pikachu
Ground Game - Mario
Air Game - Pikachu

Up Smash - Pikachu
Down Smash - Mario
Smash Smash - Pikachu

B Moves - Tie.

Okay, so that may be alittle biased, but if anything Pikachu stacks up with him.

Anther

Smash Champion
Mario fares better in a lot more matchups than Pikachu does. It's just likely you haven't experienced or witnessed mario versatility compared to Pika.

Nigachu

Smash Apprentice
He should be high tier but he's not mostly due to the fact that he has little to no range. I can't count the amount of times I either missed a shield grab or a jump canceled grab using him.

Mario seems like a fair and equal match up for Pika IMO, Mario is higher because he is more of an all around character who isn't out matched by another character by a large amount.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
hmm..not quite sure exactly how tiers are determined, but i think pikachu deserves better than bottom of low tier. i can't find a single recovery that even comes to be nearly as versatile as his quick attack(with the exception of pichu's of course...) and the strongest uncharged up smash in the game is nothing to ignore. then again, his range(or lack thereof) is a huge problem...i find approaches very difficult because of that. so even if he were to be low tier, i dont think the bottom of it is really his place. on the other hand...pikachu in high tier or something...will make people use him more. and frankly, i like keeping the population of pikachu players relatively low, makes the victory more satisfying =)

N64

Smash Champion
Pikachu is low tier because he is a terrible character.

His horizontal range is lacking, especially in the air. Fsmash has range but is slow and punishable, so you either have to mindgame it or combo into it (and pikachu doesn't have many combos at all that end in it). Dtilt has range but doesn't lead into anything except the occasional techchase. Ftilt is good, but that's partially because the rest of his stuff kinda sucks or is situational.

His shield sucks. His grabrange sucks. His throws are ok, bthrow is nice for edgeguard setups and uthrow chains of fastfallers, but it gets progressively more difficult for pikachu to grab in the first place with his crap range and few attacks that can (but don't necessarily) lead into grab, as the opponent's skill increases.

His weight sucks. He dies off the side and top relatively quickly. Added to that, his weight allows him to be chainthrown by a good portion of the cast, and easily comboed by a greater portion. Getting grabbed by some characters can mean the loss of a stock, and 50%+ combos on pika aren't uncommon.

His recovery is lengthy and versatile, but there are flaws to it. His hitbox during parts of it is huge. If you don't position it just right it can be laggy on landing. And he needs it anyhow to make up for how fast he dies normally, without it he'd probably be bottom tier.

Oh yeah, and his damage output sucks. Usmash hurts, fsmash hurts, dair hurts, and everything else tickles. He has decent comboability against most characters, but they're usually difficult to set up or do a whopping 30% over the course of 6 moves.

He does have a lot of neat tricks, but once you get past those you'll realize that's mostly what he is, gimps and gimmicks. Beneath that he's a terrible character, fitting of his spot in the tiers.

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
If you pick pikachu, be prepared to go for a lot of quick kills...

Everything in between is just trying to set those quick kills up. Any other finishers are just a last resort if your attempts in quick killing failed

Pikachu isn't the best character choice if you're looking to cover a lot of character matchups.

You'll spend a lot of time in a match covering up his shortcomings...

Why did I switch to pika in '05 ??

CUZ I LOVE THE LITTLE GUY!!!

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Pikachu's tier placement makes me hate Sakurai.

Random note- Pikachu is captain Falcon's knee muscle. Were do you think the electricity came from? His balls?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
or maybe "every low tier player in the universe except for me seems to have the misconseption that their bad character isn't so bad"

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Oh yeah, and his damage output sucks. Usmash hurts, fsmash hurts, dair hurts, and everything else tickles. He has decent comboability against most characters, but they're usually difficult to set up or do a whopping 30% over the course of 6 moves.
You really nailed it there. What's Pika's best aerial? Uair?

IIRC, that thing only does 2-3% if you hit with useful parts of the hitbox... :ohwell:

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
Pikachu sucks...

*looks around*

Pichu's better

*waits for T0MMY to pop in*

Falco spelled backwards is incorrect.

*waits for confusion to set in*

Let's all do the gimpy dance!!!

*sticks out left foot, claps twice and throws a lit match*

I need 24 hour supervision...

Or a pack of Oreos...

Whichever one comes first.

NeeQueoHH

Smash Apprentice
arent the teirs made by use of characters through lyk videos and tourney wins??? pika is where he is bcus of those reasons right??? besides theres one of these threads saying things lyk underdogs winning is good. haha i dont mind where he is, as long as he deservs to be there

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Even though I am a big user of the Pika, I still don't see him having enough power to be considered a high tier character in Melee. In Smash64, he had that nice amount of power to give him high tier status. There are just certain things about Pika in Melee that he doesn't deserve high tier status. One of my own views is that his speed is not as high as it should be, and his Thunder attack does not have a much power, and it only goes a certain distance. Another thing is his grabbing/throwing ability. Although I like some of his throwing attacks/techniques, they just don't seem to give me any reason why he should be high tier. Overall, his abilities have dropped somewhat from 64 to Melee.

technomancer

Smash Champion
pikachu's the easiest to use but the hardest to win with
Wow a great turn of phrase! It's totally wrong though!

Pika is difficult to use and difficult to win sets against high tiers with. Mario can at least deal with Sheik and Marth a little, but if you go all Pika in tournament you won't make it to round 3 without losing to a Fox or a Shiek. It's just like all the other low tiers.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Wow a great turn of phrase! It's totally wrong though!

Pika is difficult to use and difficult to win sets against high tiers with. Mario can at least deal with Sheik and Marth a little, but if you go all Pika in tournament you won't make it to round 3 without losing to a Fox or a Shiek. It's just like all the other low tiers.
I can agree with that easily! I probably have the worst record against any experienced Fox or Falco player, including at tournaments. Sheik definitely has some power, but I have had better times against Sheik. Like I've said before, I think Pika has saddenly lost abilities in Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom