• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should nintendo balance around casuals or pro players?

Should nintendo balance around casual players or pro players?

• Total voters

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Balance it around the game itself where it really matters because if the games screwed= everyones screwed. Casual/pro is pseudo and is really one of the same, its like 2 sides of the same coin. If u play any game thats versus/against someone else then, its competitive regardless, no one plays to purposely lose. A game doesnt have to play like street fighter to be competitive. Theres no such thing as a "casual vs pro play" with street fighter because its just street fighter and just one game. Its dumb how this pro play **** really only exists with smash as if ppl have some type of inferiority complex of their favorite fg that they have to force it to be something it already is , competitve. I hope this **** about "competitive/casual" stops because ppl are just dissecting a game into something it already is. Only difference with smash is theres a bunch of options to play with.

U legit can make anything competitive. All a casual means is someone who doesnt play the game as much. Even in what ppl call '"casual play" its still competitive because i doubt any one of them want to lose, so.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai(the one doing the patches with his team, to clarify) balances it around both.

I think that's the right ideal. They're all players. Look at tons of results from tourneys and online. If people are ranting, don't worry about it in itself. But do make sure the balance still works. Many of them have good points.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Guess pro players. Since they will abuse every little bit of unbalance in the game.

If they would listen to casuals the would probably nerf things like projectiles and short hp arials because everyone seems to have trouble with those who use them right :D.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Guess pro players. Since they will abuse every little bit of unbalance in the game.

If they would listen to casuals the would probably nerf things like projectiles and short hp arials because everyone seems to have trouble with those who use them right :D.
Some people think that having armor, a projectile or two meteor smashes in a character's kit makes them OP, so I get where you come from.

SesameChicken

Smash Rookie
Casuals are probably going to have fun with the game the same regardless of balancing changes. It’s only the competitive community that looks out for that and gets heavily affected, so I think it should be for them. Plus, competitive players will stick around longer than casuals typically.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Some people think that having armor, a projectile or two meteor smashes in a character's kit makes them OP, so I get where you come from.
Yeah :D. I don’t get why people hate on k rool so much. I think he is pretty easy to fight against compared to other fighters (in my opinion). Many people struggle because blind aggression against him is bad.

Only pros have the right mindset and search for a workaround. Casuals often complain to soon.

But knowing Nintendo i know their focus will be around the middle between those two extremes (pro and casual) which is fine for me because that’s where i think i am.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Casuals are probably going to have fun with the game the same regardless of balancing changes. It’s only the competitive community that looks out for that and gets heavily affected, so I think it should be for them. Plus, competitive players will stick around longer than casuals typically.
Nah broken characters effects casual players too. I wonder how many ppl chose metaknight in brawl at house parties.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Nah broken characters effects casual players too. I wonder how many ppl chose metaknight in brawl at house parties.
But i think now and before patch 2.0 there wasn’t any really broken chars like metaknight in brawl. So currently I would agree that for casuals the changes in ultimate doesn’t really matter that much.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
They should balance around both.

Specifically, mechanics should be balanced so that they're effective at all levels but are not too easy to cheese in lower levels.
Changing the burry mechanic to work less at lower damage but more at higher is a good example.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
They should balance around both.

Specifically, mechanics should be balanced so that they're effective at all levels but are not too easy to cheese in lower levels.
Changing the burry mechanic to work less at lower damage but more at higher is a good example.
That’s actually a good point. Burrys are often to long. I don’t like getting burried at 80% and then smashed out. But maybe my mashing just sucks ^^*

D

Deleted member

They should just patch awkward stuff like the hitbox of the Belmonts' whip.

Perfect patricia

Smash Apprentice
That’s actually a good point. Burrys are often to long. I don’t like getting burried at 80% and then smashed out. But maybe my mashing just sucks ^^*
Same I hate the mashing mechanic it’s annoying and hurts my fingers. I wish buries functioned like smash 4 where knock back was weaker

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
It should be balanced around both. There are characters who generally suck in 1v1 but can completely clean house in FFAs (e.g. Little Mac). No reason to separate it.

I have more of an issue with them balancing things around online results in general. I know they have to base it on something, but kind of makes me afraid to do well with my character, considering how they treated K. Rool in 2.0.0. Maybe his suck gun lasted a bit long, which created long pauses of no fighting if you held it while your opponent was hanging on the ledge. Which is understandable, but still seemed a bit unnecessary to halve the length of it.

Last edited:

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
While I would say a bit of both, ideally you balance around pro players first and non pros second.

This is because since everyone will get better at the game and getting definitively worse at the game is such a rare occurrence, your balancing baseline should be at high level a.k.a pro play, rather than lower than that. However, there are sometimes unfun mechanics that can make low skill environments worse, so at that point, you nerf something that is good at low levels while barely changing it at high level play.

In fact, the bury changes in this patch work wonders as an example of what to do correctly. Base duration of burial moves was lowered, which stops early deaths at lower skill levels or at least puts them under control. Meanwhile, high level players aren't affected by burials at early levels anyway, so making them a bit worse is not a huge deal.

The buff to bury is that at higher percents, they are a bit longer, which buffs these usually unreliable moves to be more reliable for ending stocks, making them better at high levels while changing nothing at low level really.

Another good example is K. Rool's Blunderbuss duration nerf. Lowering the duration does little to hurt pro level K. Rools since they wouldn't keep the suction going for too long because they expect their opponent to know how to deal with it. Not so for low skill players, and it allows them to get to the action far quicker and can even discourage braindead play for K. Rool players learning to play him better.

This patch shows quite well why the overreaction of nerfs happening is unwarranted, and that this balance team clearly understand what they are doing to a much better degree than they are given credit for.

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Nintendo is absolutely going about this the right way. First and foremost, I feel like this game has been balanced really well for casual players. This makes sense because you want to keep the majority of your consumers happy with a simple balance, After all, that's where a majority of their profits are! Now, I think they are making appropriate changes in patches to better balance characters at high level of play. Both sides should be happy!

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
Obviously, it should be balanced around pros. This game was designed to be the most competitive Smash game. (It isn't, but at least they tried.) It doesn't make sense for them to balance the game around casual play.

Top Bottom