• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should move spammers be pulled from Tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frekydelic

Smash Rookie
I was online today, and I faced someone(I don't want to reveal his name) who was playing as Diddy. He dropped bananas all over the **** place, and I couldn't do anything. So, if this has been discussed already, I'm sorry, but if you are found move spamming during a tourney, should you be pulled? And this does not include people who movespam to gain a proper advantage for a while, like the Star Fox's blasters.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I was online today, and I faced someone(I don't want to reveal his name) who was playing as Diddy. He dropped bananas all over the **** place, and I couldn't do anything. So, if this has been discussed already, I'm sorry, but if you are found move spamming during a tourney, should you be pulled? And this does not include people who movespam to gain a proper advantage for a while, like the Star Fox's blasters.
if someone keeps spamming a move, you should figure out how to counter it, and quickly. Its the same move so you'll have plenty of time during the fight

redeyedol

Smash Cadet
You could always try to prevent him from doin it in the first place. It just looks like you merely need more practice. Every situation has a way around it. Otherwise if that was the case, then Diddy should be broken to the point of bein banned, which he is not.

Ulevo

Smash Master
No. If a player is using a particular move to stall a match, I believe that is against the rules. But if they are camping, spaming projectiles from afar, or simply abusing a move you can't seem to get around, then I believe it is of your responsibility to adapt accordingly and deal with the problem.

Moochero

Smash Cadet
No, of course they wouldn't be pulled from a tourney. Spamming is totally legal and there is always a way around it. Diddy's bannanas are very good, but they are not unavoidabler or broken. Plus if someone is going to fall for the same thing over and over, then why stop?

chamberlin

Smash Ace
That's just one of the advantages to having projectiles is that you can use them all you want. Plus, you know you can just pick up or catch Diddy's bananas + avoid them. Diddy is a great character, but he's also light and doesn't have as much range or priority as others do. Thus, he needs his bananas to keep his edge.

Also.... Just get better at the game and learn to deal with it lol.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Pressure forces spammers to react. Spamming projectiles is a technique, so long as they don't do it while trying to purposely stall a match for long periods of time. You can always counterpick a stage that has platforms in order to reduce the spammed projectiles.

EazyP

Smash Ace
You're just being butt hurt

Fact of the matter is that the only time a character gets banned is because they're so broken there's no reason to play anyone else (Ex. In SF2 no Akuma, too broken)

The fact is he dropped 2 bananas on screen, that's not spamming that's just him using a character's move to the fullest, get around it by being a better player

garrR

Smash Apprentice
i think someone needs a tissue box.

this is not even close to a "broken" technique.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Cant you pick up the bananas? o_O

And yea it's hardly broken. You just need to adapt to spamminess.

kr3wman

Smash Master
You can pick up, reflect, air grab, dodge and throw back the bananas.

I don't see why its broken

shatoga

Smash Cadet
He only throws 2 bananas and they can be picked up and thrown back at him.AND if you hit him before the banana is released he won't throw one.

Icantlos

Smash Rookie
And this does not include people who movespam to gain a proper advantage for a while, like the Star Fox's blasters.

I also don't see how Diddy's banana's are any different. He's just using them to gain an advantage...

eazail

Smash Apprentice
LOL, he said the guy was throwing bananas all over the place. I laughed pretty hard at that

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
So take out Diddy's bannanas and keep in Fox's blasters. Seems ABSOLUTELY fair.

Falls in the responsibility of the player. It's possible to beat button mashers in SF and DoA, and it's possible here.

matthewdw94*

Smash Apprentice
those nanners are pretty useful. when I started using them on my friend he would get pwned. Then he started shielding, which helped alot for him against my nanners. btw, there nanners, not bannanas

Imp

Smash Apprentice
Sure, take Diddy's best defense away. How do you spam 2 bananas? lol.

Sad thing is I get this all the time when I use Diddy.

I vote we ban people that want to ban things that > them.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Pretty much echoing what everyone else has said.
But, let it be known that in my opinion, there is somewhat of a variance when it comes to the term 'spamming'.

When someone who obviously doesn't know what they're doing; EX: Ike player standin/walking around and just using F-smash- then its your responsibility as a player to defeat this dumb *ss tactic.

When someone is strategically using projectiles; like diddy's banans, it may look like spamming to you, but bear in mind that there is an awful lot of thought that goes into it. I used to be a Link mainer in Melee, and I didn't throw a bomb or boomerang, or shoot an arrow without knowing EXACTLY why I was doing it. If I'm not mistaken, Caveman made a living out of this camping/spamming w. his young link.

Believe it or not, it actually takes a lot of skill to EFFECTIVELY camp/spam moves. Requires you to know the timing/distance/feel of each projectile or move, and know when, how, and where to use the projectile in conjunction with where to place yourself relative to your opponent.

Neither one (skillfull camping or wildy spamming) should be banned for the following reason. Wildly spamming should get the person punished in the match, by the opponent. Skillful camping is in and of itself a tactic/skill. The only exception is those techniques used for stalling a match to secure a victory.

These matches may not be fun to watch or play, but when $ is on the line- it isn't about putting on an entertaining match, its about doing what it takes (within the confines of the rules) to win. Tournament rules are pretty good, and stringent enough as it is allowing for fair gameplay. Not to mention the impracticality of the idea of banning spamming/ers, as its impractical to monitor each match; especially at the HUGE tournaments where director to player counts are EXTREMELY slim.

kenny.kor

Smash Rookie
You just suck.

It may be annoying but they're not breaking any rules.

Learn how to fight against it and throw the bananas back.

Diddy's move, as has been noted, only produces two completely counterable nanners on the screen at any one point.

Further, you have to be able to respond to any strategy. We can't simply ban those ways of playing that you can't beat. What other rules should we enact to make sure that you win? Maybe ban characters you have trouble with, too?

Fact of the matter is, if move spamming is a strategy that defeats you, then you deserved to be defeated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom