• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Iron Tail be added to Pikachu's moves?

How should Iron Tail be implemented?

• Total voters

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
They also need to change the name "Thunder Jolt" to something else(Thundershock, Thunderbolt, Shock Wave, whatever), as that was never a move name in the games. No. 25 NEEDS Iron Tail, in SOME form! and I'll definitely axe Skull Bash for something else(Light Screen? Discharge? Slam?)

...oh, and the name ot Red M's Meteor Smash attack is called, "Plunger."

Aura Guardian

Smash Rookie
They also need to change the name "Thunder Jolt" to something else(Thundershock, Thunderbolt, Shock Wave, whatever), as that was never a move name in the games. No. 25 NEEDS Iron Tail, in SOME form! and I'll definitely axe Skull Bash for something else(Light Screen? Discharge? Slam?)

...oh, and the name ot Red M's Meteor Smash attack is called, "Plunger."
Hmm.. it seems you don't know of the rule that Nintendo has been maintaining with Pokemon in the Smash Universe. You know how in the anime & games Pokemon only have 4 moves? They have been applying that rule in the Smash games as well. They have every Pokemon have 4 respective canon moves from their worlds (except Jigglypuff & Melee Mewtwo for some odd reason) and have the rest of the moves be moves inspired/made up off other moves from their world.

So if we want Iron Tail or if they wanted to incorporate IT, they would have to sacrifice a canon move Pikachu has unless they made some kind of Iron Tail throwback. I already know personally, I want Electro Ball to be Pikachu's Final Smash, so that clearly replaces Volt Tackle. Either way, IT needs to be in Pikachu's move-set one way or another. I'm not trying to wait another 5-7 yrs for them to add in IT in a sequel to Smash 4.

Yeah Skull Bash has been a great move in Pikachu's arsenal, but that move has been obsolete to Pikachu's overall moveset SINCE GEN II! The fact that SB made it to Brawl was already a surprise and now to CARRY ON OVER to the next Smash game AGAIN? That's preposterous. Iron Tail has so many openings. It can replace skull bash, be implemented into Up-Smash or act as a throwback aesthetic change to Up-A.

Last edited:

Aura Guardian

Smash Rookie
Ok so, I thought I do something cool. I made & found some gifs from the anime of how Iron Tail could look like in the Smash Universe. Of course it wouldn't look exactly like it does in the anime. My point is to give an idea of how it could look like.

Iron Tail as a Up Smash:
http://makeagif.com/i/UqFj8s

Iron Tail as a Meteor Smash (which of course can only apply to the air & sends opponents directly down):
1st Version: (Pikachu using Iron Tail in the Kalos Region) - http://makeagif.com/i/9qNrTX

2nd Version: (Pikachu using Iron Tail in the Unova Region) -
http://24.media.tumblr.com/4bf655ce5527444b48ac88cc5adf0947/tumblr_mihtspMSE21rmtxh8o3_500.gif

Iron Tail as a Special or Standard Attack:

http://makeagif.com/i/hVYrFO (Ground Version) - From the ground Pikachu Irons his Tail and then spins, knocking the opponent forward back. This alone could act as a standard or special attack such as side-a and side-b respectively - yes either of of those moves assigned to those inputs, currently, would be replaced if this happened.
-With an added function. If it was decided that Pikachu could also iron his tail and then hold it, like in this gif, (not store it) for a short period of time before releasing it, then this move would be exclusive to the special button commands thus becoming side-b. If this additional mechanic was not added then once again, it could become side-a or side-b.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6104799744/h7551FA65/ (Air Version)

*Important Note* Remember that the power and reaction of this move depends on what this move's role become. If it becomes a Smash Attack then it will be very powerful and cause a powerful lift off. Don't just go off the power of the GIFs. That can easily be altered in game design. If the move becomes a Standard Attack then it will have a sort of balanced neutral reaction similar to the power of Pikachu's current side-a. Also keep in mind these ideas apply to Iron Tail whether it becomes an aesthetic change in Pikachu's move-set or an actual new move with it's canon name.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Not sure if we already had a thread for this. But that doesn't matter. Anyway, I feel like Iron Tail could make a decent Up-Smash actually.

Thor

Smash Champion
If it deletes Skull bash it weakens Pika's recovery, and I'd hope it's like Kirby's hammer but faster and a bit weaker (so KOs at like 110% or so for reasonable specs of character, stage, etc.). Otherwise just make it upsmash, but I hope it's not slowing down the usmash for this [animation] upgrade.

Another option is dsmash - get rid of that thing (too easy to SDI - if it was harder than just up I might not mention this at all) and make it a breakdance with Iron Tail instead of the electric effect. Cool KO option, although we don't get to dsmash->thunder n00bs anymore (or the occasional messed up DI, like Tyrant at SKTAR 2...).

NECK

Smash Rookie
B-Air is like....reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally cute as it is, and it's an actually good move too...it's a pretty cool idea though ^ - ^
B-Air is a terrible move as is. The only exception to that is the PM b-air which is decent to a degree.

Aura Guardian

Smash Rookie
Hmm? This calls for a new topic. Iron Tail- A useful & unique move to Pikachu that was introduced in the anime to Pikachu in Generation 3, which has helped Ash/Satoshi win many battles, including gyms, battle frontier, etc and has been held onto all this time through the Kalos region/Gen 6. Also in the anime Pikachu has learned 2 new moves since Gen 3, Volt Tackle in Gen 3 and Electro Ball in Gen 5... so it's worth noting despite Pikachu having learned 2 moves, Iron Tail was one of the moves that was never replaced by any of the new moves he learned previously. Mainstream handheld game series Pikachu was also able to learn this as a TM, just like Skull Bash was teachable to Pikachu as a TM in Gen 1, in Generation 3/R/S/E till Gen 5. Furthermore, PokePark 2 Pikachu also uses Iron Tail as if it was a signature move of Pikachu's. Vs Skull Bash- An (obsolete) TM move, like Iron Tail, in Gen 1 and only Gen 1. Don't have any more positive detail on skull bash but the fact that it's iconic, which though should honestly be less iconic for being milked so hard and non existent to Pikachu's move-set outside the Smash Series for such a long time, specifically 5 Gens and going.

Iron Tail clearly has much more value and relevance to Pikachu than SB. We've had SB for 3 games now, 4 if you count Smash Bros 4 because we already saw a screenshot of Pikachu using SB. What's funny about SB not having been taken out in Brawl is the fact that Brawl came out in 2008, while the first Gen 3 games, Sapphire & Ruby, came out in 2003. This means despite how many yrs Pikachu had Iron Tail learnable by TM in games and the anime as support... with SB being 2 gens old at that time... they still kept SB for some of reason and that reason may have been for it's (stupid) iconic status. But.. now after EVEN MORE yrs have passed by and Iron Tail has became a deeper staple in Pikachu's move set in the anime (indefinitely for the time being) and games (till gen 5) while SB just gets more obsolete, Iron Tail should NO DOUBT replace SB by now - Smash 4. Brawl was already overboard, and IT has earn it's worthy entry as a respective and relevant replacement to SB. AND WHEN IT does finally get incorporated into Pikachu's move-set, it needs to stay in there longer than it originally should due to SB taking it's spot twice - add that up and it equals 2 installment sequels.

I can't believe I've sorta agreed with people in the past to keep SB just because it's ONLY helpful to Pikachu's recovery. That's a terrible & lackluster point when compared to what IT can have the potential to do in Smash 4 and it's status outside Smash. With how much positive weight IT holds, it's a worthy and necessary replacement to SB.

Angiance

Smash Lord
But it's a bad move!
The only reason someone would believe B-Air's a bad move is if they didn't understand how and WHEN it's applicable-oh, lemme guess, you believe our Jab is bad too, no?

Also, why replace our solid survival option when Iron Tail could easily be added as a special effect to our tail during U-Smash, or N-Air...like, it's pretty cool that we can momentum cancel with Skull Bash, allowing us to survive hard hits at 100+ percent

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
I think Iron Tail shouldn't replace any of his specials, but maybe implement it into his U-smash giving it power like it did in Melee.
definitely agree. I think that tilts should be standard Tail Whip, and smashes should have Iron Tail, giving it spike capabilities and having an aesthetic change. For those who say this can't happen, compare Samus' up-tilt to her up smash. Much different looking and acting.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Hmm? This calls for a new topic. Iron Tail- A useful & unique move to Pikachu that was introduced in the anime to Pikachu in Generation 3, which has helped Ash/Satoshi win many battles, including gyms, battle frontier, etc and has been held onto all this time through the Kalos region/Gen 6. Also in the anime Pikachu has learned 2 new moves since Gen 3, Volt Tackle in Gen 3 and Electro Ball in Gen 5... so it's worth noting despite Pikachu having learned 2 moves, Iron Tail was one of the moves that was never replaced by any of the new moves he learned previously. Mainstream handheld game series Pikachu was also able to learn this as a TM, just like Skull Bash was teachable to Pikachu as a TM in Gen 1, in Generation 3/R/S/E till Gen 5. Furthermore, PokePark 2 Pikachu also uses Iron Tail as if it was a signature move of Pikachu's. Vs Skull Bash- An (obsolete) TM move, like Iron Tail, in Gen 1 and only Gen 1. Don't have any more positive detail on skull bash but the fact that it's iconic, which though should honestly be less iconic for being milked so hard and non existent to Pikachu's move-set outside the Smash Series for such a long time, specifically 5 Gens and going.

Iron Tail clearly has much more value and relevance to Pikachu than SB. We've had SB for 3 games now, 4 if you count Smash Bros 4 because we already saw a screenshot of Pikachu using SB. What's funny about SB not having been taken out in Brawl is the fact that Brawl came out in 2008, while the first Gen 3 games, Sapphire & Ruby, came out in 2003. This means despite how many yrs Pikachu had Iron Tail learnable by TM in games and the anime as support... with SB being 2 gens old at that time... they still kept SB for some of reason and that reason may have been for it's (stupid) iconic status. But.. now after EVEN MORE yrs have passed by and Iron Tail has became a deeper staple in Pikachu's move set in the anime (indefinitely for the time being) and games (till gen 5) while SB just gets more obsolete, Iron Tail should NO DOUBT replace SB by now - Smash 4. Brawl was already overboard, and IT has earn it's worthy entry as a respective and relevant replacement to SB. AND WHEN IT does finally get incorporated into Pikachu's move-set, it needs to stay in there longer than it originally should due to SB taking it's spot twice - add that up and it equals 2 installment sequels.

I can't believe I've sorta agreed with people in the past to keep SB just because it's ONLY helpful to Pikachu's recovery. That's a terrible & lackluster point when compared to what IT can have the potential to do in Smash 4 and it's status outside Smash. With how much positive weight IT holds, it's a worthy and necessary replacement to SB.
Pikachu didn't get Skull Bash till Melee (in the Original SSB for the N64, Side B moves weren't implemented at the time due to the game's hardware).

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
IT should be implemented in my opinion. It should replace Skull Bash, but work the same as Skull Bash. He'd charge, then leap forward spinning.

Like this.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Replace Skull Bash? No thank you. As for Iron Tail, I do agree that it would be a nice aesthetic change for Pikachu's Up Smash.

Also, Thunder Jolt is actually a move from the Pokemon Trading Card game.

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
IT should be implemented in my opinion. It should replace Skull Bash, but work the same as Skull Bash. He'd charge, then leap forward spinning.

Like this.
Now, this isn't a bad idea, HOWEVER, Iron Tail as a visual for an upgraded N-Air and U-Smash would be great too

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Now, this isn't a bad idea, HOWEVER, Iron Tail as a visual for an upgraded N-Air and U-Smash would be great too
Agreed. Or maybe the N-Air and U-Smash should stay normal, but be given sweetspots, that when triggered, will turn the tail into Iron, dealing extra damage and knockback.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
BTW, Pikachu is confirmed to have Skull Bash already so mighta give up any hopes on replacing it.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Yoichi Hiruma said:
Agreed. Or maybe the N-Air and U-Smash should stay normal, but be given sweetspots, that when triggered, will turn the tail into Iron, dealing extra damage and knockback.
Yes, an SS (maybe) would be great, it'd work like the back hit of MK's N'Air

Nair

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goldenwolf2
3DS FC
0920-1616-6632
Hmmm... Reading through here, I like the idea of his Side-B. It's always been a nice recovery option other than his jump and UP+B. I personally prefer N64 B-Air to his new B-Air. The helicopter is a little weird, but it has it's uses I suppose.

I'd say that Pikachu's "Iron Tail" should be a staple part of his U-Air. I say this because, in Melee it has a chance to spike the opponent if you hit just right, which is fitting to the iron-tail use.

However, that said, I think it'd make a cool D-Air, because it can have a nice meteor to drop opponents while edge-guarding. This might make him high-tier, but probably not broken.

I definitely think it'd fit better on his up-air, so when it's coming down it'd have the ability to spike someone if it hits a sweet-spot on his tail. (Preferably the Tip-Area because that would make sense to the Anime and game!)

Confirmed Currently:

*Thunder (Down+B)
*Skull-Bash (Side+B)
*N-Air
*Down-Taunt (Rolls on Floor)
*Up-Taunt (Waves)

I'm curious to see what they've done with Pikachu, as with the last games he's remained in the Mid-Tier section. With new edge-guarding options, I hope he gets a meteor-smash to help him guard.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Hmmm... Reading through here, I like the idea of his Side-B. It's always been a nice recovery option other than his jump and UP+B. I personally prefer N64 B-Air to his new B-Air. The helicopter is a little weird, but it has it's uses I suppose.

I'd say that Pikachu's "Iron Tail" should be a staple part of his U-Air. I say this because, in Melee it has a chance to spike the opponent if you hit just right, which is fitting to the iron-tail use.

However, that said, I think it'd make a cool D-Air, because it can have a nice meteor to drop opponents while edge-guarding. This might make him high-tier, but probably not broken.

I definitely think it'd fit better on his up-air, so when it's coming down it'd have the ability to spike someone if it hits a sweet-spot on his tail. (Preferably the Tip-Area because that would make sense to the Anime and game!)

Confirmed Currently:

*Thunder (Down+B)
*Skull-Bash (Side+B)
*N-Air
*Down-Taunt (Rolls on Floor)
*Up-Taunt (Waves)

I'm curious to see what they've done with Pikachu, as with the last games he's remained in the Mid-Tier section. With new edge-guarding options, I hope he gets a meteor-smash to help him guard.
He doesn't wave in his Up taunt, he charges up electricity, he waves with his Side taunt.

Also his Thunder now officially meteor smashes foes who hit just below the thundercloud, although it only sends them down to where Pikachu is.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
There is one option I can think of for iron tail to be put into for Pikachu.

Screen Shot 2014-06-01 at 10.25.09 AM.png

Just make it his neutral finisher. There isn't anything saying the neutral finisher couldn't be based on the source material. In fact, in the Kirby pic, Kirby is using the Smash Punch from his Fighter ability. I think Pikachu could easily transfer from his headbutts to his iron tail. :)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Replace Skull Bash? No thank you. As for Iron Tail, I do agree that it would be a nice aesthetic change for Pikachu's Up Smash.

Also, Thunder Jolt is actually a move from the Pokemon Trading Card game.

Like this.

I'm torn a bit between these two things.
To start- I like all the visual flair we can get, and for Pokemon, I think all the smash attacks should be based off of different moves in game, even if just by title, simply because it seems to pay more respect to the game even if functionally they are the same.

Skull Bash is a bit outdated, but changing it without givng Pikachu more recovery in the same way or better, improving it) would nerf him tremendously, and... looking at my avatar... you may guess, that displeases me on a personal level, much less on an unnecessary level to the game.

He In the least should have it as a smash attack, sure. Absolutely.

Top Bottom