• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Should I upgrade from a 3ds to 3ds xl?

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I'm in the same situation. But I think I'm going to wait until smash bros for 3DS comes out. I don't think I'm going to want to play it on a smaller screen.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Only if you find the 3DS XL more comfortable. That is basically why I don't want the XL because I find it horribly uncomfortable, but other people tend to find it more comfortable. So figure it out from there.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It really depends on your own taste I guess. I'd say try the XL system first before you buy it and see if you like it better than the original model.

I did upgrade from the original model to the XL version and I haven't regretted it since as I loved the larger screen as well as how much more comfortable the system felt on my hands compared to the original. Not to mention getting rid of those annoying scratches that always took place at the 3D screen of the original 3DS due to a design flaw that was fixed for the XL model.

It's up to you really. I'd personally say go for it if you have the money but you might also want to wait it out a bit. Who knows, Nintendo might even release a cool Smash Bros themed 3DS XL that you might like if you are interested. (They have been making quite a lot of these at almost every big game release so I wouldn't be surprised if Smash got one too)

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Well I went and upgraded. Got a black XL and I love it! I wish I got this system sooner! The only online game I have at the moment is Mario Kart 7. I love this system. Thanks for the advice guys!

гυιη

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unique
3DS FC
5198-2442-2813
It's whatever you prefer. If you're unhappy with a small screen and want something larger with a slightly better battery life, go with the XL. If you don't care as much about either of those things, stay where you are now. If you didn't have a 3ds before and wanted to save money at the cost of the feature of 3d that isn't even all that popular anyways, you could even have simply gotten a 2ds. I have owned all 3 systems and they're all fine. I wouldn't say one is any better than the other but the XL offers the most in my opinion.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
It's whatever you prefer. If you're unhappy with a small screen and want something larger with a slightly better battery life, go with the XL. If you don't care as much about either of those things, stay where you are now. If you didn't have a 3ds before and wanted to save money at the cost of the feature of 3d that isn't even all that popular anyways, you could even have simply gotten a 2ds. I have owned all 3 systems and they're all fine. I wouldn't say one is any better than the other but the XL offers the most in my opinion.
How did you like the 2ds? Does it handle ok? I'm looking to get an XL too but I honestly never use the 3D feature so i thought I might save money by getting the 2DS...it just looks kind of toyish though?

гυιη

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unique
3DS FC
5198-2442-2813
How did you like the 2ds? Does it handle ok? I'm looking to get an XL too but I honestly never use the 3D feature so i thought I might save money by getting the 2DS...it just looks kind of toyish though?

It just looks a bit bulky. When you hold it it honestly feels fine and i've never had a problem with it. People will probably think you're dumb for getting it but it's a good money saver for sure and I had nothing against it other than the fact that it doesn't flip down. No one else I'm friend's with who has one has any complaints either

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
It just looks a bit bulky. When you hold it it honestly feels fine and i've never had a problem with it. People will probably think you're dumb for getting it but it's a good money saver for sure and I had nothing against it other than the fact that it doesn't flip down. No one else I'm friend's with who has one has any complaints either
Definitely looking to save money so that's great to hear. I think that's the route I'm gonna take. Thanks man!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I've been looking to upgrade, but I'm a little tight on money... maybe next year when Smash 4 comes out, Nintendo will release a SSB 3DS XL!

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
If you're like me and you have big hands get the XL I never used to play my 3DS that much because I found if I played it for an extended period my hands would cramp up. The XL feels amazing in my hands I love to play it now since picking one up I've started playing my 3DS games a lot more.

Morbi

Scavenger
I would upgrade to the 2DS personally, it is just like the 3DS... but without the 3D. That is the improvement that I was looking for.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
One of my friends has an XL (I have the limited Ocarina 3DS) and I'm probably going to update when Smash Bros. arrives, if there's going to be a limited Smash Bros. edition. It's simply better. And if we actually get a limited Smash console... Dayum.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If you're like me and you have big hands get the XL I never used to play my 3DS that much because I found if I played it for an extended period my hands would cramp up. The XL feels amazing in my hands I love to play it now since picking one up I've started playing my 3DS games a lot more.
In my case, my hands are getting too big for my 3DS. Never thought I'd physically grow out of a handheld.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
If having a better screen really matters to you, yes. If you only care about the games, no.

S

Sharic X

If you plan on buying Smash Bros. (which you do considering you're here), then yes. Definitely gonna feel better playing it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I say try to see which feels better in your hands. I myself will keep the regular 3DS unless it breaks. You might want to change systems if you want a bigger screen, or maybe a longer battery life.

Avantgrave

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0963-0522-3867
I would have to think that a Smash Bros game would probably work better with a larger screen. And while I never had the normal 3DS, I picked up the 3DSXL that came with A Link to the Past on Black Friday and I love the thing, playing games works fantastic. Plus, as long as you don't have the 3D slider up all the way, you'll get a surprising amount of battery life out of it.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I would have to think that a Smash Bros game would probably work better with a larger screen. And while I never had the normal 3DS, I picked up the 3DSXL that came with A Link to the Past on Black Friday and I love the thing, playing games works fantastic. Plus, as long as you don't have the 3D slider up all the way, you'll get a surprising amount of battery life out of it.

Yeah I traded my 3ds in on this bundle very happy that I did the system looks awesome and it's got a matte finish rather than a gloss so no finger prints all over it.

Avantgrave

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0963-0522-3867
Yeah I traded my 3ds in on this bundle very happy that I did the system looks awesome and it's got a matte finish rather than a gloss so no finger prints all over it.
Yeah the glossy finish was one of the things I didn't like about my friend's 3DS, he has one of the glossy black ones. Didn't realize it before I got the bundle, but I was so happy when I had it in my hands and noticed the matte finish. Plus the size just feels right in my hands. I'm actually really excited to play a more action-based game like Smash Bros on it. So far I've only done the Zelda game and more turn-based, slower games.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Been playing the Old NES Mega Man, Kirby, Punchout, Double Dragon and Mario Kart 7 on my 3DS XL and love it! So can't wait for Smash. I'll have to add you guys to my friend list.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have 2 XL and a regular 3DS and I still play my regular 3DS more often

Less

Smash Cadet
3DS XL is more awkward for my hands to hold. Weighs more and is harder to hold onto than the smaller regular one. Personally, I wish I had bought a regular instead of XL.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Doesn't the XL look worse because the resolution is the same as the original 3DS? Aren't the pixels just blown up?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It's negligible imo. Even with that true the larger screen > prettier pixels

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
It's negligible imo. Even with that true the larger screen > prettier pixels
I don't see how that makes them pretty sure... It's just like when we used to have the GameBoy Player for the gamecube. It just blows up the pixels. But with Smash I'm sure that it would be best to have a bigger screen period.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't see how that makes them pretty sure... It's just like when we used to have the GameBoy Player for the gamecube. It just blows up the pixels. But with Smash I'm sure that it would be best to have a bigger screen period.
Well, with the GB player the games' resolution doesn't match the TV, so it looks worse. The XL displays at the normal resolution, and the difference is hardly noticeable.

But yeah, the XL rocks.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I actually want the XL because it's better in every single way (except portability, though). The only thing keeping me away is that it doesn't have circle pad pro support which i may want for smash 4

Last edited:
Top Bottom