• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

should I keep playing with Kirby?

vinnieminnie

Smash Cadet
I have been playing with kirby from the first time I played the game... I think Kirby is a great charactar and I can take on every comp 1 vs 1 (but that isn't difficult)
I do have problems with 1 vs 2... that's why I stil haven't been able to defeat very hard mode:(

Yesterday I started experimenting with other charactars and I played just as good with link as I did with kirby... That is really weird to me because I have never really played with link so I shouldn't be as good with him as I am with the charactar I'm playing with for such a long time.

I am starting to think that I should drop Kirby for Link because, at this moment, I play almost as good with Link as I play with kirby, I should be able to get much better with Link if I play some more with him.

Of course I will never drop kirby for real... I will keep playing with Kirby for fun, but I think I should play with another character to become a better player.

What do you think? I don't think I could get much better with kirby then I am now... so should I play with another charactar?

I know... I am not really good at english but I'm from holland. And I also know that is you can beat very hard mode with Kirby, I just don't think that I will be able to beat very hard mode with kirby:(

just to let you know... I don't play to often against real players because my friends suck even more then me xD I'm almost only playing against lvl 9 comps and in very hard mode classic.

vinnieminnie

Smash Cadet
maybe I should just keep playing with kirby until bros comes out and then start playing with metaknight or pit or another new charactar... they look good to me:)

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Kirby will probaby be a better character in Brawl (at least that's what I hope), you should wait. Kirby rules ^^

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Kirby will probaby be a better character in Brawl (at least that's what I hope), you should wait. Kirby rules ^^
I agree, 100%. They'll fix up Kirby in Brawl, and he'll be much higher on the Top Tiers, just like he was in the N64 one!

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Kirby is terrible and it's pretty much impossible to amount to anything with him. Don't play Kirby.
If you're talking about Melee, then I guess I can't forgive that.

If you're talking about Kirby overall, then what the heck are you doing-

Oh, wait, you're a mod...

...Uh, hi! :grin:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Oh noes, you posted with a one-liner!

Kirby is pretty bad in Melee... (arguably the worst) but it doesn't mean you can't win. Isn't that right Silent Wolf?

And if you're playing against computers, they really shouldn't give you problems with any character. Though I don't know why you'd only play one character if it's mostly just casually against CPUs.

vinnieminnie

Smash Cadet
ok... I've discovered I also can't beat the 10 vs 1 battles with other charactars like Link... so I am still playing Kirby:)

I would be really heapy if someone could give me some tips on defeating the 10 vs 1 battle:) or maybe someone could even make a vid because I can't find one:( except for one... but that one is speeded up:( and he also looses 3 lives at the 10 vs 1 battle...

Madlobster

Smash Apprentice
well as T!mmy said, Kirby is arguably the wort char in the game, but the truth is, there is always room for getting better.

im about the only one in europe that mains kirby, but i still mannage, and ill promis you this, there is no greater feeling then owning top tiers with bottom tiers :D

Allthough you probably would do better with "better" chars, i personaly play better with the characters i enjoy playing the most :p

vinnieminnie

Smash Cadet
ok... i've decided to keep playing with kirby but I have a few questions I would like you guys to help me with:)

1. Will I do much better with Kirby once I learn how to wavedash and stuff like that because I haven't really tried it alot and I don't really see te point to wavedash with kirby...

2. I have learnt that thing were you suck in someone and drop down... then he will die and you don't... Now I can defeat alot of stages in classic without losing a life. Now I can get to the 10 vs 1 with 3-4 lives... but i'm still having alot of trouble with them:( so can someone help me with the 10 vs 1 battle... I need some tips or vids so I can come up with a strategie because, at this moment, I can't defeat al of them without losing less then 2-3.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Well learning how to wavedash isn't going to help you much. Sometimes wavedashing is a bad thing to do. If you can learn when to use it it will definitely help you out.

And l-canceling i highly recommend you learn. It cuts the time between when you land from an arial attack and when you can move again in half. It is hard to understand just how useful this is until you start doing it. I didn't think it would help much but it does a lot.

And the most important technique you can learn is short hopping, if you have not already. It allows you to hit them with arial attacks easier and lets you follow up attacks better. This combined with l-canceling is the most useful tactic in the game.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
And the most important technique you can learn is short hopping, if you have not already. It allows you to hit them with arial attacks easier and lets you follow up attacks better. This combined with l-canceling is the most useful tactic in the game.
Definatly learn to short hop and l cancel. I had difficulty with short hopping because you have to press the button within 2 frames of a second. short hopping absolutly makes a difference. also watch some vids on youtube or something of T!mmy omnigamer and king kirby 90. the guides on this forum are useful to learn as well.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
gimpy's opinion time

its pretty well known that i play a piece of crap character pretty well, so i cant just tell everyone not to play their character (well, i still do it anyways so meh)

If you want to be TRULY good at the game, i say drop kirby immediaetly and start playing one of the top tier characters, if you want to have fun, and still want to have the ability to compete then play somebody who fits your style that you can become good with. I personaly just absolutely love bowser as a character, and his style matches with my own, so thats the char i play (yea i picked up ganon recently too) but play the char you love, theres not much time before brawl, but there could be time still to go from unknown to known.

just do whatever you want, play for fun, play to win.

Oh noes, you posted with a one-liner!

Kirby is pretty bad in Melee... (arguably the worst) but it doesn't mean you can't win. Isn't that right Silent Wolf?

And if you're playing against computers, they really shouldn't give you problems with any character. Though I don't know why you'd only play one character if it's mostly just casually against CPUs.
what are you implying...?
lol, im pretty sure kirby cant beat anyone good in tourney. unless maybe, MAYBE, ur isai. =T

has kirby beaten anyone good in tourney?

gimpys so wise, lol.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I think you're just tired of Kirby because you're been playing him so much. Maybe you're just tired of him. There's nothing wrong with giving him a break and trying out a new character. It's quite refreshing. :)

You don't exactly have to stop playing Kirby, but if you're getting bored of him give some other characters a try.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Good advice Gimpy. Im vary inprssed wit ur uber extrmly advncd noowledg bout Boozer an othr lw ter chars. Lol

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
I'd keep playing kirby in friendly's, low-tier tourney's, and that kind of stuff. If you want to be extra risky, you can try Kirby in teams as a counterpick. Kirby's fun to be good with. He just gets ***** too badly to count on in tournaments or anything else that really matters.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
it seems like he is just playing the game to have fun, i say stick with kirby if thats your favorite character, once you start advancing there may be a point where you consider picking up a new character, when that happens dont worry about "loyalty to a character" or "tier whoring" or anything like that. Just play who feels right, and most importantly, have fun doing it.

vinnieminnie

Smash Cadet
I do play for fun:) and I'm not planning to win any tournaments:p I think that i'm able to beat very hard mode before this week is over:)

EDIT: jeej... I've beaten very hard mode classic with Kirby. I still had all my lives when i've gotten to the 10 vs 1 battle I. I've lost 1 live in the 10 vs 1 battle and 1 in the master hand battle. So i've only lost 2 lives:) It may not seem good to you guys but i'm really happy with my results:)

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I think you're just tired of Kirby because you're been playing him so much. Maybe you're just tired of him. There's nothing wrong with giving him a break and trying out a new character. It's quite refreshing. :)

You don't exactly have to stop playing Kirby, but if you're getting bored of him give some other characters a try.
I agree 100%. Since I got the game (at launch) I've been a Peach-only player, and I'm having a lot of fun now that I'm trying some new characters. Now, using Kirby against my friends is quite difficult (Samus, Sheik, Falco), but it's really fun ^_^ and there's nothing like beating a top tier using a bottom tier. Also, Kirby rules

san-romanov

Smash Cadet
you're right, ****

Hey man, you're completely right, when i started to play melee i realize kirby wasn't so good like the other characters.
so, i decided to play with someone else, i mean, i kept practicing kirby but i chose ganon as second character.

In my opinion, take at least 2 characters and increase your cleverness with both

Top Bottom