• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I keep Kirby as my main?

Squirtle the Master

Smash Cadet
I LOVE Kirby, I absolutely love him. The problem is, I'm not that good with him. My brother just whips out Kirby, who he NEVER uses and pwns my Kirby. I'm a Kirby fan and he's my main. I'm not sure if this is the problem or not, but I mained Ganondorf in Melee and I fought with pure straight foward offensive attacks and I'm doing the same thing with Kirby in Brawl (plus some mid air combos and spiking, which I did spike with Ganondorf, but I do it more with Kirby). Kirby obviously isn't as strong or heavy as Ganondorf so I find myself dying very quickly. Ganondorf sucks in Brawl so I can't use him, nuff said. However I'm good with ROB, my brother tried using ROB but I pwned his ROB. Do you think I should try getting better with Kirby or change my main to ROB? I've been dying to have Kirby as my main and as much as he's been boosted in Brawl I thought it'd be possible...but that doesn't seem to be the case, should I change to ROB?...OR should I wait until a tier list comes out, look at the top tier then make my selection from those characters.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
You should be Pokemon Trainer, 'cuz your name is Squirtle... <_<

Idk, do what YOU wanna do.

Brawler19

Smash Apprentice
If I was you I would just stick with Kirby just give it time and practice trust me you'll get better and Kirby has gotten 10 times better than he was in Melee just keep at it you'll be able to beat your bro with him =]

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
You can request a name change, can't you? I saw my friend put his ACTUAL FIRST AND LAST NAME as his account name.

Anyway, try defense with Kirby for a while since you have the offense idea down. After some time, those defensive tactics will become apart of your reflexes and make you better.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Did you even see my sig...anyway Brawler19, I'll take your advice and try to get better with Kirby, I'll still use ROB but he won't be my main.
Oh, haha, no. Sorry.

Well yes, I would stick with Kirby if I were you. Read T!mmy's guides on him, and practice with a lot of people here at the board, and I'm sure you'll get better.

Zolo16

Smash Rookie
Well Squirtle Master, you could just use kirby for casual and use a higher tier character for competitive play

Doulhalt the Brave

Smash Cadet
I fought with pure straight foward offensive attacks and I'm doing the same thing with Kirby in Brawl.
Yeah, I think that may be your problem right there. Kirby has really good offense if you know your opponent's moves and can predict well. His arials are especially beastly. But as I found out for myself, it really sucks when you try to offense down an opponent that can out-offense you >_<;. That's where playing a defensive game comes in handy, which I do now sometimes depending on my situation. Yeah, Kirby is light and floaty which makes him easy to K.O. especially when you get wacked by heavy guys with hard hitting moves. You just got to work around that, "try to get all up in their grill". Just work on that defense against the foe's you can't offense down and you should be good. :)

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
Hey! I used Ganondorf in Melee too! And I'm a Kirby main now, too!
Here's a tip: don't play like Kirby like Ganondorf. Instead, bask in the glory that is having more DI than that fat nerfed *******.

(funny thing though, I still play Ganon a bit, too =/)

LoversEnd

Smash Rookie
If you really love kirby i say you stick with him and just practice and learn all you can about him and if your ever feel discouraged watch some videos of good kirby players

Synerate

Smash Cadet
Picking something from the tier list is thee LAMEST thing to do. I fully believe each character has the potential to whip serious ***. Just stick with what you think suits you. dont let some list ell you like wise. besides, kirby is my main but it play 5 other characters to fit certain styles i like.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
^Agreed. Check the guide and video archive here, great stuff.

...and use a higher tier character for competitive play...
Bad thing to say around a bunch of guys that used Kirby in Melee. Besides, the tiers are gonna be less important this time around (In other news, not "Top tiers can destroy everyone else") and Kirby's probably gonna be high up anyway.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Picking something from the tier list is thee LAMEST thing to do. I fully believe each character has the potential to whip serious ***. Just stick with what you think suits you. dont let some list ell you like wise. besides, kirby is my main but it play 5 other characters to fit certain styles i like.
well not picking bottom teir because you will have no fun is an ok reason to pick by teirs lists, but picking top teir for top teirs sake is stupid.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
I'm not sure if this is the problem or not, but I mained Ganondorf in Melee and I fought with pure straight foward offensive attacks and I'm doing the same thing with Kirby in Brawl (plus some mid air combos and spiking, which I did spike with Ganondorf, but I do it more with Kirby). Kirby obviously isn't as strong or heavy as Ganondorf so I find myself dying very quickly.
I also believe that this is our problem. What I suggest is to get a feel for every character, and find which one you can "fight with pure straight foward offensive attacks" with the best. Brawl requires a completely different playstyle than Melee, even if the characters have nearly the same attacks from the last game, so you will probably have to pick a new character to satisfy your playstyle.

For example, I would not, for a second, be able to do anything decent in Melee with Kirby. The game just moves too fast for an aerial-minded character like Kirby to last very long. Now, with the new physics and everything, I fell in love with Kirby since the first time I won a FFA with him, and I've been maining him ever since.

Case in point, try out all of the characters and see how they fit you. If you still want to play as Kirby, I'd recommend him as a secondary and pick someone... you win more games with as your main.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Don't wait for a tier list. The players guide was very wrong when they gave Kirby a 5/10 and saying he sucks at 1on1, even though if Brawl wasn't out for very long at the time.

Don't give up on a character if you know you aren't using him correctly, unless you really want to use someone else other than Kirby, but that doesn't sound like the case. Much of Kirby's game should be spent attacking characters in the air or from the air with Kirby's aerial attacks (Back-air and Up-air). Many of Kirby's grabs do a fair amount of damage while also allowing you to juggle them in the air or keep them off balance, which is what you really want to do when you're going against characters with a superior ground game like Wolf and Ike (with button lag, it's sometimes hard to avoid Ike's attacks). It really helps to know how Kirby's attacks work and what they can or can't out-prioritize. T1mmy's guide should help you there =s

Top Bottom