• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Goku be an assist trophy (thus eliminating him from being playable) instead of a playable character?

Should Goku be an Assist trophy instead of a playable character?

• Yes (and he should be eliminated from being playable)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • No (he should be playable)

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 29 80.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
For at least 10 years, dozens of fans have been suggesting and wanting Goku to be a playable character. However, I don't think he should be playable. It would also be very shocking if he got in before Tails or even Waluigi.

To my opinion, I think Goku should be an assist trophy, and not a playable character. But why? In fact, although Waluigi has been eliminated from being playable in Smash Ultimate, he still has a higher chance of becoming a playable character in Smash 6 than Goku. While Tails still may have a likely chance of coming as a DLC for Smash Ultimate.

My question to you is do you feel that Goku should be assist trophy? (and why) Or should he be playable? (and why)

EDIT: 6-11-19: The reason why I want Goku to be an assist trophy and never playable is because I don't want him to be playable, but still include him in the game in some form.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
No and he shouldn't be playable.
And even if they made him playable, having him as an AT would be the worst idea ever.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
No and he shouldn't be playable.
And even if they made him playable, having him as an AT would be the worst idea ever.
So your opinion is neither, but why?

I think having Goku as an assist trophy would be okay.

Last edited:

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
I really don't like the idea of having a non-video game character appearing in Smash at all, be it as a playable fighter or an Assist Trophy.

Non-video game characters like him have no place in Smash at all!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Goku shouldn’t be in Smash. Not as playable, not as an AT, not as a boss, not as a background element, not as Mii Costume, not as Robin’s Final Smash, not as a trophy, sticker or Spirit.

Artix

Smash Journeyman
There's no way in hell they're gonna put Goku in Smash, even if as an Assist Trophy.

Super Smash Bros. is a celebration of video gaming, not anime!

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I really don't like the idea of having a non-video game character appearing in Smash at all, be it as a playable fighter or an Assist Trophy.

Non-video game characters like him have no place in Smash at all!
Well Goku does have some video game series, such as Xenoverse, and Legendary Super Warriors.

Goku shouldn’t be in Smash. Not as playable, not as an AT, not as a boss, not as a background element, not as Mii Costume, not as Robin’s Final Smash, not as a trophy, sticker or Spirit.
In my opinion, I think Waluigi deserves to be playable instead of Goku for Smash 6.

Klimax

Smash Ace
So your opinion is neither, but why?

I think having Goku as an assist trophy would be okay.
Here's what I think.
Why I don't want him as a playable character: If you allow Goku to get in Smash Bros, you open the Pandora's Box. Because if we get Goku, then, what about Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece sold more units than Dragon Ball), what about Naruto (because everyone knows Naruto), what about Joe Yabuki (A****a No Joe being the manga that defined many things when it comes to nekketsu) ? See ? People are going to ask for more, because there's many mangas characters who are as legit as Goku in Japan. And without even mentionning other mangas, people are going to ask at least for Vegeta or Frieza.

And why I don't want him as an AT: The problem is basically the same, the only difference being Nintendo dumb enough to pay for Goku's rights to have him only as an AT.

I love Goku and if Sakurai said "only Goku, but no one else from mangas", I would love it. But that's not going to happen and as I said, it would open the pandora's box and Smash speculations would be full of bull**** from crap like Tokyo Ghoul or Sword Art Online. Even having a Naruto's support thread would be just annoying. I would prefer eating my balls than seeing this.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Here's what I think.
Why I don't want him as a playable character: If you allow Goku to get in Smash Bros, you open the Pandora's Box. Because if we get Goku, then, what about Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece sold more units than Dragon Ball), what about Naruto (because everyone knows Naruto), what about Joe Yabuki (A****a No Joe being the manga that defined many things when it comes to nekketsu) ? See ? People are going to ask for more, because there's many mangas characters who are as legit as Goku in Japan. And without even mentionning other mangas, people are going to ask at least for Vegeta or Frieza.

And why I don't want him as an AT: The problem is basically the same, the only difference being Nintendo dumb enough to pay for Goku's rights to have him only as an AT.

I love Goku and if Sakurai said "only Goku, but no one else from mangas", I would love it. But that's not going to happen and as I said, it would open the pandora's box and Smash speculations would be full of bull**** from crap like Tokyo Ghoul or Sword Art Online. Even having a Naruto's support thread would be just annoying. I would prefer eating my balls than seeing this.
In my opinion, I think Waluigi deserves to be playable instead of Goku for Smash 6.
Do you agree with me?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well we might sort-of get Goku if Erdrick is DLC.

I wonder if Bird Studios would actually allow Goku without requiring him to be a main playable character or on the box.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
You want Goku in Smash? Then how about this?

>Add Crono
>give him an orange suit and black hair pallette swap

there, you get something that looks like goku, and we get a cool SE rep as well!

TeaEnfield

Smash Rookie
My opinion: Smash is supposed to be the celebration of gaming icons, and assist trophies are generally delegated to the supporting/extra characters. Having Goku as an AT would be silly because of how iconic he is, and he wouldn't make it in as a fighter due to the 'gaming' part of 'gaming icons'

>Add Crono

there, you get something that looks like goku, and we get a cool SE rep as well!
This, Crono would be my main in a second.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I want Waluigi in Smash since I saw his AT in Brawl, so yeah, of course I agree haha
Plus, a better assist trophy than Goku is Beck (Mighty No 9) he should replace Waluigi or Bomberman's Assist Trophy. When Waluigi and/or Bomberman become playable in Smash 6.

>Add Crono

I don't want Goku to be playable, but if he was an assist trophy, I may or may not be okay with it.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I don't want Goku to be playable, but if he was an assist trophy, I may or may not be okay with it.
How does your opinion waver like a tube man at a car dealership? If you’ve made your own opinion obsolete by stating you might not be okay with his appearance, then what was the point of saying it?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
As a die hard Dragon Ball fan I want Goku as far away from Smash as possible.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
As a die hard Dragon Ball fan I want Goku as far away from Smash as possible.
I don't want him to be playable, but I would be okay or maybe not okay if he was an assist trophy.

How does your opinion waver like a tube man at a car dealership? If you’ve made your own opinion obsolete by stating you might not be okay with his appearance, then what was the point of saying it?
I'm not sure I'd be okay if Goku was an assist trophy, but at least he'd be eliminated from being playable.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I'm a fan of Dragon Ball.
I'm a fan of Smash Bros.
I think the two should NOT interact. Smash Bros. is about video games. Gokû is from a manga. He appeared in video games? So what? Former France president Jacques Chirac was in a video game. Should he be in Smash too? After all, he is most famous than a lot of characters, and could attract the attention of many non-gamers...

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
My opinion: Smash is supposed to be the celebration of gaming icons, and assist trophies are generally delegated to the supporting/extra characters. Having Goku as an AT would be silly because of how iconic he is, and he wouldn't make it in as a fighter due to the 'gaming' part of 'gaming icons'
Well, there are dozens of other characters that shouldn`t be assist trophies, spirits, or playable characters, such as the Mario Fancharacters, Weegee, and Jeffy. I understand why they shouldn`t appear in smash at all.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why would he be an assist trophy?! He's not a video game character or anything.

It's not like being an AT is the only thing that prevents characters from being playable.

Well, there are dozens of other characters that shouldn`t be assist trophies, spirits, or playable characters, such as the Mario Fancharacters, Weegee, and Jeffy. I understand why they shouldn`t appear in smash at all.
Because they aren't real characters owned by Nintendo or companies it works with.

Last edited:

TeaEnfield

Smash Rookie
Well tbh I've been wanting undertale OCs as assist trophies forever....

No, that would be stupid

If we open up said pandoras box, could I ask for WW2 leaders in smash just because they were in some games?

Oddball

Smash Lord
I don't mind the idea of NON-Videogame characters being in Smash, but I feel they need to be characters that have had some significant videogame history.

I would rather have Uncle Scrooge, Turok, James Bond, or the Ninja Turtles than Goku.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)

Wouldn't bother me either way. Goku has a crapload of video game history anyway. Way more than many characters already in Smash.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Well tbh I've been wanting undertale OCs as assist trophies forever....

No, that would be stupid

If we open up said pandoras box, could I ask for WW2 leaders in smash just because they were in some games?
No that would never happen.

I don't mind the idea of NON-Videogame characters being in Smash, but I feel they need to be characters that have had some significant videogame history.
I agree with you, but I think they should just be Assist Trophies (and get eliminated from being playable), or Spirits. Not playable characters.

How would you feel if Goku was an Assist Trophy?

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
If you REALLY want Goku, then play SSF2. (Heck, just play SSF2, period, it's amazing.) IT also has Luffy, Ichigo, and Naruto.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
No.

For one, it would be a complete waste of time and money to negotiate the rights to Goku only to relegate him to AT status. Second, that would only serve to leave both supporters and detractors alike unsatisfied. Supporters wouldn't get their playable Goku and detractors would still have to deal with him being in Smash. Everyone loses.

Moreover, unlike other assumed rules and patterns made by fans, Sakurai has actually gone on record about this before. Smash is a celebration of video games. Primary focus being Nintendo's own history, but with a few guests as of Brawl.

Yes, Goku has plenty of games using the DB/Z property under belt, but so do a myriad of other characters from other manga, anime, books, comics, cartoons, etc, etc. If you add Goku, you open the flood gates for literally anyone and Smash then risks becoming a Mugen-like shell of what it's supposed to be.

And if you say "Well just leave it at Goku." that also doesn't work. Why does Goku alone get that special treatment in this case? There are plenty of other non-game characters people have been wanting for over a decade as well.

Smash is about game characters. It should (and will) stick to that. Perhaps a future director will think different and steer the series in a different direction, but for now, no.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)

Wouldn't bother me either way. Goku has a crapload of video game history anyway. Way more than many characters already in Smash.
Cristiano Ronaldo too, I'm not sure that's enough to be a good addition to Smash. That's obviously trolling but you get the idea.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
EDIT: 6-11-19 (To Bump up this thread):
Why would he be an assist trophy?! He's not a video game character or anything.

It's not like being an AT is the only thing that prevents characters from being playable.
Well we might sort-of get Goku if Erdrick is DLC.
Well since Hero (Dragon Quest) has been revealed at E3 2019, Goku may now have a chance of becoming an assist trophy in Smash 6. Although he's been deconfirmed since Smash 64.

Last edited:
Top Bottom