• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should future characters have a gimmick, depending on the character in question?

What's your opinion on gimmick characters in the future?

• Total voters

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
As the title says, do you want future newcomers to have some sort of gimmick (i.e. something like :ulthero:'s MP bar)? You can vote your opinion in the poll above.

Personally, I'm okay with these kinds of characters, as long as they strike a balance between faithful to the source material and able to work for Smash.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I dunno...it really depends for me.

I'm not huge on gimmicks in the first place, but some of them make the character really interesting. However, it's really easy to go overboard and turn people off, especially if you don't know the source material all that well.

Case in point:
:ultpokemontrainer:'s mechanic was 100% cool with me (I even liked Zelda's transformation) since it matches so well with the source. I know a lot of people really hate it though. Even the novelty is wearing off for me - I liked how the mons were treated in Brawl better, where they each had their own name and the stock icons in the final screen showed who exactly got KOd. Tangent: I'd prefer the ability to choose to play all three or one mon only (so Squirtle or whoever is always out) with a toggle on the CSS, and then the announcer could give a "Squirtle Wins!" at the end. That'd also be great with amiibo, since all three mons have their own, plus the trainer for the switching playstyle.
:ultrobin:'s mechanic is also fun, even though I know nothing about the FE series. It adequately shows equipment damage over time and conservation of resources without being too obstructive.
:ultinkling::ultisabelle::ulticeclimbers:'s mechanics also really show off their source material without being inhibitory, and it makes them interesting and fun to play...if you're into them.

...but...

I can't play :ultshulk: to save my life, and he's only got one gimmicky move. I know less than nothing about the source, so it doesn't have a 'wow' factor for me, and I'm just not a fan of the character in the first place. I just feel that juggling five different buffs in the middle of a free-for-all is too confusing. And then they added the DQ Hero, who I have just as much relationship with but now has about 20 or so potential move choices? I couldn't do five!

All in all, I think that the gimmicks can make characters more interesting and well-rounded, but they can also turn people off as well. I think we should get a mixture - gimmicky characters for the people who really like them, and also basic characters who will appeal to a wider group. There's even something to be said for characters with minor gimmicks that are easy to work around.

RDW

Smash Rookie
I think the point of these DLC characters is adding new and interesting mechanics to the game (and advertising.) If they aren't interesting or fun to play, what's the point?

The more salient issue is whether these new gimmicks break the existing game.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Gimmicks are something that tends to be common in fighting games but Smash had avoided, for the most part. The first real gimmick was perhaps Icies. being a double character was something no other character has done since and afforded them a play style and traits no one else has. Lucario came in with Aura as his gimmick which is either loved or, though usually, hated. I feel gimmicks give a character more personality and flair, when done right.

When the gimmick is tied to the characters source material, is implemented correctly and flavorful, I see that as a plus. While it hurts 'non-gimmick' characters a bit sometimes, it doesn't seem to be enough to make non-gimmick characters any less viable. The gimmicks often help showcase the series they are from to boot. Be the gimmick good (Arsen, GO!, Wonderwing) or somewhat lackluster or inconsistent (Magic Menu, Limit (At least in Ultimate) ), it it only adds a special touch to the character in question.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
I would like a character with a specialty grab / throw gimmick that is different from any we have seen. Maybe choose between short and long throw for better combo ability

my personal choose for this character is Star Man from the NES pro wrestling game. This game needs more grapplers especially non-heavy grapplers

Top Bottom