• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Brawl Olimar Come Back in the Form of a Echo or Semi-Clone?

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Made this thread because I really enjoyed casually playing Olimar in Brawl and know some others did too.
My thought was maybe if they don't want to change Olimar/Alph, making one of them adopt a revamped version of the Brawl moveset, then Louie could be a candidate to undertake it.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I'd say no. While Brawlimar is really fun to play as I personally felt his gameplay was lacking some of the depth the new iterations have. He's polarizing in certain areas of his strength, but he tends to force a playstyle many people don't like. While the new Olimar can definitely do that to I found that his fleshed out normals and better recovery allow for a lot more depth with the character. Plus if Ultimate Olimar nerfs have shown anything they'd be quite harsh on Brawlimars usmash which was better than prepatch Ultimate. A nerfed Brawlimar likely couldn't compete as well.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Well, thanks for the insight Myran.
I can definitely see how the new Olimar would have more depth the way you've explained it. Love the balancing and depth the Smash team has added to the game this time around.

I think what I missed most though was the strength his non-pikmin normals had like the Nair and his old 'jab' which was pretty funny to use. Even if it ended up being a less competitive version of the character, so long as the nerfs were to Brawlimar's pikmin moves and not the other normals, and both versions were playable, I'd be alright with that. Maybe even, if necessary, make Brawlimar's pikmin aerials work like they did for Smash4 Olimar when they could be hit.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Well, I've done exactly that, coincidentally. I've made a moveset concept for a Bulbmin family, which encompasses Olimar's moveset from Brawl to help revive it. It isn't quite 1-1, as there's some differences that would obviously need to be there, but for the most part I'd say it's all there!

Here's a link to the image elsewhere so that its a little easier to read: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49949697006/in/dateposted-public/

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It would honestly be a waste of a Echo slot. It would be like adding Melee/Brawl/hunchback Bowser as a Bowser Echo why do it? Again, in Bowser's case it would be better to add Dry Bowser as his Echo.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
It would honestly be a waste of a Echo slot. It would be like adding Melee/Brawl/hunchback Bowser as a Bowser Echo why do it? Again, in Bowser's case it would be better to add Dry Bowser as his Echo.
well l think the idea is that it would be a different character using Olimar's brawl moveset, not literally Olimar again. For instance, they could add Dry Bowser, but give him a majority of Brawl Bowser's moveset, alongside some of Dry Bowser's own flair.

knuckles213

Smash Ace
Honestly after playing all iterations of olimar, I do think he needs a better middle ground in ultimate because his pikmin and ground game are lacking. In Brawl, he was too strong with 6 pikmin, campy playstyle, strong ground game, ledge options, and defense play due brawl being a slow campy game and half of the cast not beingable to deal with his playstyle. His lack of recovery, landing options, and getting juggled was his weaknesses. In smash 4 and ultimate, recovery is not a problem, but landing still painful. I agree with myran on olimar not being two-dimensional like in brawl and better offensive options in the newer iterations, but in ultimate he does have alot problems that make him feel incomplete and not as strong as brawl olimar.

• I kinda wish for a combination of all three iterations into one preferably or just make alph into brawl olimar, but with rock pikmin, (maybe 7 or 8 pikmin for better tether recovery)
  • I wish pikmin wouldn't dysnc all the time or ghost pikmin or get beat out by all other moves and that they wouldn't have the properties of items (i much rather them have brawl properties)
  • His grab combo fame i felt was better in smash 4
  • maybe give olimar one extra pikmin or rock pikmin that can break shield (limit 1 Rock pikmin at a time on screen).

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Olimar's three Pikmin in Ultimate are already a bit much to fight against at times. Six kinda sounds like a nightmare to face. I'd say the tether would be a good downside for this hypothetical Brawlimar, but tethers are a lot better in Ultimate, and there's no ledgehogging. They'd have to be very careful how they balanced such a character. I think a good idea would be, the Pikmin (or equivalent) should do less damage, knockback, and weaker throws. Maybe be a little easier to get rid of by attacking when they've latched on, too. Or they could stay latched for less time. But make Brawlimar's non-Pikmin stuff better. That would make six Pikmin a lot easier to deal with, and create an interesting semi-clone. Olimar is almost entirely reliant on the Pikmin, so having a similar character who might prefer to box up-close a lot more, while still using Pikmin here and there, could be a good dynamic.

Top Bottom