• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should bowser jr be played defensive or aggressive I don't know

Super ninja panda

Smash Rookie
Is bowser jr a aggressive character or a defensive character so far he seems better on the defence cuz he can set up traps and wall people out but normally top tiers destroy defensive players . But if you look at tweek he can deal with top tiers pretty well . He pressures the top tiers and gains momentum so aggressive players can deal with top tiers . what play style is better.

Last edited:

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
You should play defensively as in walling out opponent until you get an opening and then capitalize accordingly.

Tweek makes good reads and links combos well on reaction. But jr's moves are too laggy to whiff out so it's safer to zone and space well your disjoints and then punish landing with side B or link something after an MK or drill, etc.

Super ninja panda

Smash Rookie
Umm ok. The problem is if the other play is always in your face u can't set up the MK and if they have a fast anti air they can punish your fair. Which is huge in your defensive game.

Last edited:

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Of course the MK won't be used at CQC unless you have it at hand. The fair and other disjoints need to properly spaced for it to be safe.

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I am using Jr Aggresive with Pressure in that way that i apply as much pressure and zoning to retain stage controll and taking each slip up they do.

I usually spacing with FAir and using SideB approach with SideB Fake Outs aggresively there FAir actually autocancle on SH, creating "traps" if they are close or jumping above you so you can SideSmash, Down Tilt, UpTilt or Up Smash or any other move you feel to do when you forced them to approach

Super ninja panda

Smash Rookie
Of course the MK won't be used at CQC unless you have it at hand. The fair and other disjoints need to properly spaced for it to be safe.
I do space it properly it's just characters with tether grabs or stuff like DK's up tilt can catch a well spaced fair
and I can't seem to land behind the opponent. And what does CQC mean I started smashboards.com 3 days
ago so I'm kind of a noob

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Kind of depends on who you fight.
You can be really aggressive on Villager thanks to the cart, but have to stick to a strict defensive style when facing Falco.
Bowser Jr also has good zoning tools, bait & punish tactics, and unorthodox styles like when facing Rosalina. (Go for Luma first, then use the 17 seconds to destroy Rosey)

Also, thanks to pikazz, we might get another really interesting tools soon: http://smashboards.com/threads/quick-clown-footstool-possible-a-new-tech.411896/

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I do space it properly it's just characters with tether grabs or stuff like DK's up tilt can catch a well spaced fair
and I can't seem to land behind the opponent. And what does CQC mean I started smashboards.com 3 days
ago so I'm kind of a noob
My B. CQC means "Close Quarter Combat"

With the C-stick set to attack, you can drift further away with your fairs. Tethers are a problem though so you're going to have to mix it up with you aerial sponouts, nairs, bairs and side B cancels.

Super ninja panda

Smash Rookie
Ok thanks I got an idea side-b fast fall jab jab incase they go for a grab and if their still in shield our slow grab beats
their super slow grab.

Last edited:

eagle_master

Smash Cadet
NNID
roustik
3DS FC
2852-7293-3760
I'm playing both style, starting defensive and going more aggressive as the opponent % increase.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Depends on the match up. Some characters like Rosalina and Villager practically force you to be aggressive while for characters like Luigi and Ness it's probably better to be defensive. My modus operandi is to focus on stage control and then just hammer things out from there.

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
i personally play full aggro, no stops. there isnt a lot of leeway in bjrs moveset to sit back and camp as they can pick up your only useful projectile and your only approach option moves you forward in a line.

eagle_master

Smash Cadet
NNID
roustik
3DS FC
2852-7293-3760
i personally play full aggro, no stops. there isnt a lot of leeway in bjrs moveset to sit back and camp as they can pick up your only useful projectile and your only approach option moves you forward in a line.
True but what you can do is sending a MK, then an uncharge or charge canon ball (depends if the opponent is close or not) so if they pick up the MK, they'll be hit by the canon ball but if they jump over the MK and use their double jump to get over the canon ball, you can punish them with an up smash. Of course this doesn't work versus characters with multiple mid-air jumps.

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
True but what you can do is sending a MK, then an uncharge or charge canon ball (depends if the opponent is close or not) so if they pick up the MK, they'll be hit by the canon ball but if they jump over the MK and use their double jump to get over the canon ball, you can punish them with an up smash. Of course this doesn't work versus characters with multiple mid-air jumps.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL no, if they pick up a mk, they can sheild IMMEDIATELY. cannonball is mad ass, never ever ever suggest it as a legit strat dude

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I want to point out that cannonball is good for scrubs and only for hardcore reads, otherwise it has no use in competive play of how sluggish it is

(did win against a competive Luigi with Cannonball cause his "flaw" was he always jumped off the ledge and Fair near the ledge so it scored me a kill with a welltimed Cannonball, I did it only for style points 'w' otherwise I would have FSmash or Side Tilt and FAirs if he tried to recover but Cannonball feels more ashamed to die off)

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I think that there is one good use for the Canonball and that is when edgeguarding against vertical recoveries since you can edgecancel it and go out with a aerial afterwards.
In some situations you can also force the opponent to airdodge it and recover low this way which can be useful.

Otherwise yeah it's probably one of the worst moves in the game.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I mean, I never play defensively because I find it boring.

Playing offensively with this character is very good, so that works out for me.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Depends on if you like to play aggressively or defensively. I'm an attacker with little to no use of defensive attacks so I use him as an attacker. But if you play defensively, you still can, because he has some good choices for blocking opponents.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Jr's playstyle is weird. He wants to be offensive but doesn't have enough tools to do so.
He has good aerials, but no grab follow ups to get them going.
He has a decent projectile that throws opponents into the air, but it's easily picked up and mostly meant to fool the unaware.
His grab is garbage, so shield is extremely powerful against him. (WE NEED A TETHER GRAB and a throw follow up)
His tilts are more defensive because they're relatively slow, honestly.
His side B can help with baiting but it's so limiting that you would do better with a different character like ZSS or Falcon.
I honestly do better with Jr when I'm playing more defensively. And at that point I would rather play Bowser, whose punishes are much more satisfying and plays somewhat better when he's defensive.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Yeah, it's pretty disappointing that his grab looks like it's a mix of a tether + a normal grab, but it's literally worse than most other grabs

aircaves

Smash Rookie
Personally I play him as both, if I'm playing against a character that doesn't have an answer to the kart dash I start going aggressive with it. It forces them to play defensively and given enough pressure I can defeat them. On the other hand I start playing more defensive if I can't safely approach with the cart and instead use the cart as a surprise attack when I see an opening. I also tend to play defensive if I'm losing and offensive if I'm winning. On another layer I also switch between offensive and defensive within a match to force my opponents to adapt to my change in playstyle.

This strategy has allowed me to be succesful with bowser jr. because like him I do best with options and he definitely can be played both offensive or defensive, it depends on your opponent, how the match is going, and how you want to play him.

DonutsKy

Smash Rookie
You could play either way. Tweek is the best BowJow by far and his play-style is ridiculously aggressive. My play-style is rather aggressive as well, and while I tend to do great most of the time (due to my opponents' lack of knowledge on the MU), I also struggle a lot if the opponent knows what to expect from me. In that case I have to go on the defensive. Jr is a character who is highly rewarded for reads and mix-ups, so being aggressive AND predictable is a total no-no. If you don't feel 100% comfortable with your offensive game (you don't know his combos/follow-ups well enough), I would recommend you to play defensively.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
If your opponent knows the MU and has good frame data/ punish game, absolutely defensive. All it takes is projectile spamming / waiting on shield to turn down Jr. In that case you must be creative with your mecha koopa to bait them or force them to come to you. Sadly this is when you can see Bjr is at most mid tier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom