• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should 3rd Party characters have 2 reps?

Should 3rd Party characters have 2 reps

• Yes

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 83 78.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GloriousV

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't have a problem with it. To me the most important thing when it comes to character additions is that they fit into the smash universe. Characters like Tails would look completely natural in smash, but no, people want Bayonetta, who no offence to Bayonetta supporters, is a character that people would have been offended to even be considered in smash if the franchise wouldn't have been bought by Nintendo. So please let's look at more than just the Nintendo logo when we consider characters, because Smash Bros. is much more than that.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I know it's a Nintendo game, but I grew up with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on GameCube...so another Sonic rep honestly wouldn't bother me at all. Sonic was a major part of Nintendo for me, even if he's Sega.

I also feel that Sega's relationship with Nintendo is special, so getting another Sonic rep would therefore not be so bad in my opinion. Plus, Knuckles is dying to be in this game, just look at him!

As a general rule though, 3rd parties should not have two reps.

Last edited:
Konami, Sega, Capcom and Namco are all capable of making their own crossover games if they want more of their characters in the ring.

Fans of Metal Gear, Sonic and Mega Man are fortunate to have their one character in Smash, as it is.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'd rather have characters from unrepped nintendo series first before another Sonic or Mega Man character.

D

Deleted member 245254

Pretty much all of sonics most prominent and beloved outings in the last decade or more have been on mostly(many only) Nintendo consoles.

I understand thinking 2nd rep from MGS or some other third party series is pushing it but the Sonic franchise?

You really can't call yourself a Nintendo fan if the idea of Tails being in the game really gives you the "eew needs more Nintendo characters" willies.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
3rd parties are simply guests.

A 3rd party should never be prioritised over a 1st party veteran.

It just kills me when people say something like "Put Tails in instead of ROB/ICs"

D

Deleted member 245254

3rd parties are simply guests.

A 3rd party should never be prioritised over a 1st party veteran.

It just kills me when people say something like "Put Tails in instead of ROB/ICs"
Your criteria is much too black and white.

Sonic may not be first party but his franchise has been a major part of Nintendo for a long time.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
No because first and foremost this is a Nintendo game. One character from a 3rd party franchise is enough to represent it. Sonic reps the whole Sonic series and Mega Man reps his whole series.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Long as it isn't pacman or something i'm cool i would like someone to replace snake that is also cool like him.

D

Deleted member 245254

No because first and foremost this is a Nintendo game. One character from a 3rd party franchise is enough to represent it. Sonic reps the whole Sonic series and Mega Man reps his whole series.
You could say the same for Mario? Fox? Pikachu?

Seriously, these are not good arguments.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It depends. For Sonic, an exception is legit. I would go for Eggman or Tails.
It really depends on the franchise anyway, it should work like it does with Nintendo own franchises more or less.

raymundoTheGod

Smash Apprentice
No, because I feel the 3rd party characters are super privileged to even make it into the game. If they added Shadow or Zero, etc, it wouldn't be Super Smash Bros. More like Super Mash Up Game Bros.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
You could say the same for Mario? Fox? Pikachu?

Seriously, these are not good arguments.
Are you serious. You can't say the same for Mario, Fox and Pikachu. They are Nintendo characters. This is a Nintendo game. The 3rd party characters can be said to be privileged to even be in the game. As Sakurai has said that he wont include just any 3rd party character in the game. Also before you say I am just against the idea of having for example Tails or Knuckles in the game then no, I'm not. As cool as it would be, I don't really think they should be. But that's just my opinion.

D

Deleted member 245254

Are you serious. You can't say the same for Mario, Fox and Pikachu. They are Nintendo characters. This is a Nintendo game. The 3rd party characters can be said to be privileged to even be in the game. As Sakurai has said that he wont include just any 3rd party character in the game. Also before you say I am just against the idea of having for example Tails or Knuckles in the game then no, I'm not. As cool as it would be, I don't really think they should be. But that's just my opinion.
Okay put away this arbitrary "Nintendo/Not Nintendo" reasoning for a second.

Sonic has been a returning franchise on Nintendo systems for basically as long as Olimar has.

Consider the importance of the character to the company, not simply who made what. That's what makes Smash Bros, Smash Bros.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Depends. An additional rep from a third-party franchise that is already represented in Smash? I probably wouldn't be too thrilled with that, though there are exceptions. Some of the older third-party series, such as Sonic, Megaman and Final Fantasy, have several iconic characters that I wouldn't mind seeing in Smash over some forced Nintendo addition. For example, I'd much rather have Tails and Zero than Nabbit and Bandana Dee.

If what you meant is additional reps from third-party companies that already have a character in Smash, but from a different franchise, then I'd love to see that happen. Capcom, Konami and Square-Enix, among others, have many series with close ties to Nintendo platforms and it would be nice to see them get a spot on the roster.

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I'm going to comfortably say no. The only time I would feel as if it would be slightly ok is if it were Rare wanting to join the fray. Seeing as how they have so many former Nintendo IP's, would you be totally against Banjo & Kazooie and Mumbo Jumbo joining the fray? I'd welcome them with open arms and sing songs of joy honestly.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Okay put away this arbitrary "Nintendo/Not Nintendo" reasoning for a second.

Sonic has been a returning franchise on Nintendo systems for basically as long as Olimar has.

Consider the importance of the character to the company, not simply who made what. That's what makes Smash Bros, Smash Bros.
Ok. I get what you are saying. But then that depends on the character. End of discussion.

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not see why third-party franchises should be limited to only one character; they represent a franchise just the same as the Nintendo IP. I feel as though it is safe to assert that another prominent Sonic character is more warranted than another random third-party character.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If there had to be seconds, I bet it would be DLC, it just seems like a money grabbing DLC thing to do.

Sonic & Tails
Megaman & Protoman
Pac-Man & Klonoa

The fact Tails, Protoman havent been AT's is weird.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Tails was who I voted in the Smash Ballot. I really want another character with the Sonic head logo. I feel like Sonic's the most deserving 3rd-party franchise to be over represented in Smash because of the Mario Sports crossovers at the Olympics, the whole Mario fans vs Sonic fans rivalry in the 90's, Sonic Lost World being published by Nintendo in a three-game deal. And Sonic had a lot of Nintendo console exclusive games. And Sonic is the first third-party character to have ever returned as a Super Smash Bros veteran since Snake was cut from Wii U/3DS. And besides, the Switch has more room for data than the 3DS, right? We could fit every veteran character and double the amount of newcomers with only 10 third-party newcomers while the others are Nintendo, and there will be still room for trophies, stages, modes and other content, right? And there'd be DLC. I don't think third-party characters are a problem for Smash. At least not as much as the DC fighting game Injustice where all the fighters lived in the same world and interacted regularly in the comics. There was no need for Mortal Kombat and the Ninja Turtles in a DC game. But for a crossover game like Smash which introduced third-party in Brawl and is a bigger crossover because the Nintendo IPs live in different worlds, I tolerate third-party characters here better. Especially since I main Sonic.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Look, so long as they're fun, I don't care. I'd take Zero, Knuckles, Shadow, and Tails so long as they play properly.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please do no bump threads over a year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom