• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should 3rd Party characters have 2 reps?

Should 3rd Party characters have 2 reps

• Yes

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 83 78.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
I think it entirely depends. If Pac-Man was in, there really isn't anyone they could add with him. Ms. Pac-Man would be an alt costume at best. It would also be a safe assumption that the ghosts would be an assist trophy. That really leaves out anyone else and GOD FORBID they add those Ghostly Adventures characters. This situation applies to pretty much any other 3rd party except for one.

With all those Mario x Sonic Olympics games, it wouldn't be a surprise to me if another Sonic character became playable. He also seems to be the 3rd party most associated with Nintendo anyway. So I doubt too many people would be mad if Tails, Knuckles, Shadow or whoever got in. It'd make the most sense to me if they decided to give a third party a 2nd rep to anyone. So I guess all in all, that question depends on who we're talking about.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Unless we ever get a ridiculously gigantic roster (like 60 or something crazy like that) then third party franchises really should just stick to one.

Smash should be composed first and foremost of Nintendo characters.

Heck, even if the game ever does get that big, I'd rather they include other series first before expanding the selection of a previously included third party franchise.

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Had a huge post about this on another thread, but In a nutshell, no. Mainly because this is a Nintendo All-Star game.. Having, for example Sonic, represents not only that characters connection to Nintendo, but that entire series' and company's history with Nintendo. Sonic represents his entire series, so having another character would be somewhat a redundant waste of a slot IMO.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As much as I want to see how epic Shadow would be in another fighting game, no, definitely not. Third-parties should be one character only. The only possible way is if they had a massive roster but even then I'd rather have it filled with a few third-parties and tons more Nintendo characters.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Short answer: No

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

As much of a Sonic fan that I am, I really don't want to see anyone else besides Sonic. Maybe alternate costumes and assist trophies but that's it. Let's focus on getting unrepresented Nintendo franchises like Advanced Wars, Chibi-Robo, Golden Sun, Xenoblade, etc.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Personally, I'd love to see a second Sonic rep. Tails, Knuckles or Eggman are the only three I'd be able to deal with. Shadow isn't worthy.

To me, Sonic fits perfectly in Smash. Sega and Nintendo have a very close relationship nowadays. I'd rather a major character from a 3rd-party series than adding another rep in a Nintendo series that already has enough.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
No. This is a Nintendo all-stars fighting game.
The 3rd party guest characters that are in are iconic to the gaming industry. The second reps wouldn't have a relevant place in the roster.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Most likely not. Though I wouldn't mind it as much as some of the others. So long as said characters are iconic enough on their own. I mean, you could also say that guys like Dr. Wily and Eggman are almost as iconic as the respective heroes they face. Still not likely though.

Unless you mean different series owned under the same company. Like Snake, Simon Belmont, and Bomberman all being owned by Konami. That's sort of a different discussion.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Only because of the amazing, unique, epic moveset Dr. Eggman could bring to the game. Villains > Supporting characters.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
The trouble is, it takes focus off of Nintendo characters in what is ostensibly a Nintendo all-stars fighting game, especially when you consider series like Pikmin that get only one playable character.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Had a huge post about this on another thread, but In a nutshell, no. Mainly because this is a Nintendo All-Star game.. Having, for example Sonic, represents not only that characters connection to Nintendo, but that entire series' and company's history with Nintendo.
My thoughts exactly. If Nintendo was going to include another 3rd Party character, I would much prefer to see another series represented than to get another character from an existing series.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Third party legendary status: Not many co-stars are legendary.

Sonic has no MAIN second character. Snake can barely be considered the main character.

Mega Man's Zero isn't more legendary than Mega Man, just more popular in some crowds. And I personally don't know what Zero would look like next to classic Mega Man.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Once every other franchise (excluding those with only one character, GW and Climbers etc.) has two characters or more, then 3rd parties can get a second rep.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Never. It's bad enough that third party series have one rep. Especially strange idea considering people are still saying things like "Metroid is sufficiently represented already." Not to mention all the top-quality Nintendo franchise leads who have been confined to Assist Trophy status (Saki, Dillon etc.)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ehhh...

I'd say no, just because they are by definition guest characters, and are in for their legendary status. That said, characters like Dr. Robotnik/Eggman, Tails and Protoman have their own sort of iconic and legendary status (obviously not up to that of the main characters, but...yeah.)

Let's say I wouldn't be against it, but getting them before unrepped Nintendo series, or more deserving Nintendo characters, of which there are many, is a no-go. I wouldn't even accept another Sonic character before a third party like Simon Belmont. I mean what the ****.

Khao

Smash Lord
Third party legendary status: Not many co-stars are legendary.

Sonic has no MAIN second character. Snake can barely be considered the main character.

Mega Man's Zero isn't more legendary than Mega Man, just more popular in some crowds. And I personally don't know what Zero would look like next to classic Mega Man.
Tails is an obvious secondary character, he's like the sidekick, has been there almost from the very beginning, I'd put him ahead of any other Sonic character in importance, save for maybe Robotnik/Eggman.

As for second Metal Gear character, Raiden is just as obvious, dude was playable for most through the second Solid game, and even recently got a game of his own.

Zero is not as iconic as Mega Man, I'll give you that, but he's one of the very few links between the X and classic series, and extremely important from the first X game onwards. And that's not to mention he's the first ever playable character other than Mega Man himself, and even has a whole freaking sub-franchise of his own. He's also special in that he'd most likely play absolutely nothing like Mega Man. Though again, main villain is also as much of a good choice, there'd be tons of different ways to make someone like Wily work, and he'd also fit better next to classic Mega Man.

So yeah, I don't want third party franchises getting more than one character, but that's certainly not because there's not obvious second choices, Tails is pretty much Sonic's Luigi, and Raiden and Zero both take the prize of being playable in their main series from pretty early on, and both with their own freaking spin-off games.

Last edited:

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
No. This is a Nintendo all-stars fighting game.
The 3rd party guest characters that are in are iconic to the gaming industry. The second reps wouldn't have a relevant place in the roster.
I sort of disagree. Someone like Gray Fox, Raiden, Proto Man or whoever wouldn't work because you don't think "Nintendo" when you do think of them. I personally think a 2nd Sonic rep would be justifiable if one were to be added. Specifically Tails. Luigi vs. Tails is a pretty popular subject. Not necessarily as popular as Mario vs. Sonic, Link vs. Cloud Strife (not implying Cloud should be in, for the record) or Mario vs. Link, but still relatively popular. The whole Mario fantasy dream match was one of the reasons Sonic was included in the first place. Also, when Tails and Sonic were rumored to be in Melee (we all know how that turned out) it seemed like no one had a problem with Tails being in there. People also tend to forget that Sakurai has a lot of people to appeal to. Kids obviously being one of them. They don't care about Andy, Isaac, Ray-01, etc. Kids are still fond of Sonic, so I could see it. But I'm not necessarily saying I think he should be included as a playable character. I'm just saying I see why he (or Shadow/Eggman/Knuckles) could be.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I don't want the game overloaded with 3rd Party characters. And the more we get, the more I want from different companies. I'd rather take Rayman than a second Sonic rep any day.

That being said, if Tails was added I wouldn't be completely mad.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I mean... If there were a Sega or Capcom version of Smash then no one would want Tails, Shadow, or Zero in Smash. I don't want them in Smash. I have a hard time accepting any 3rd parties in Smash bros. I won't main a 3rd party because I don't feel like its an actual character. Otherwise I'd be maining Megaman.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
hahaha... XD... no '-'.
.. Even liking the potential characters from the possibility,.. no, I don't like the idea, and I don't think that should ever be considered.

Last edited:

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
No. We don't need terrible Sonic characters in here. This is Smash Bros, not third party all stars.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Short answer: No

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

As much of a Sonic fan that I am, I really don't want to see anyone else besides Sonic. Maybe alternate costumes and assist trophies but that's it. Let's focus on getting unrepresented Nintendo franchises like Advanced Wars, Chibi-Robo, Golden Sun, Xenoblade, etc.
Agreed, the more third-party characters in the less Nintendo franchises can be represented.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Yes.

I'm one of the hated that think going as far as making as Smash Bros in the style of Nintendo VS Whoever would be good too. The more the merrier!

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
No, absolutely not. 3rd parties are guests, and they shouldn't bring a +1. Who's gonna buy the game because Tails is playable?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
No, there are too many deserving Nintendo characters left to make it in.

Besides a 2nd rep from those franchises wouldn't bring nearly the same amount of hype. It would make more sense to include characters from completely new 3rd party franchises to pull in a new crowd of fans.

Seeing characters like Tails or Roll in Smash Bros is what assist trophies are for.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I view this as subjective. If the third party rep that is being added to said series is a gaming icon and has strong Nintendo history? Yes, add them. Tails, Robotnik, Zero, certain Mega Man enemies all fit in this realm I believe and I'd find them acceptable additions to the roster.

If it's just some strange random person who might even have a cool unique moveset from said series but just doesn't really fit in Nintendo's history? Then no. Don't add them. That's when you get crazy. People like Shadow, Tron Bonne (Love her god bless, but no), etc fit into this realm and don't really belong on the roster.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Nah one is enough for each third party series. But if 3rd party company was going to get 2 reps, I'd rather have the 2nd one be from a different series. Like Capcom brings megaman and someone from resident evil and konami brings snake and belmont.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Tails has way way way more business being in Smash Brothers than ANYONE from Resident Evil.

I'd go against the social grain here and say the same thing when it comes to Tails and Snake.

Only thing Snake achieved was bringing more people from Sony's corner to Smash Brothers.

Because even with his appearances on Nintendo's systems in the past. He's still first and foremost a Sony thing.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Zero is the only character I'd be fine with. His spin-off series was only on the GBA, he was a very vital part of the X series (arguably more than Mega Man X himself), and has a large fanbase of his own. I love Sonic, but more Sonic characters? No... trophies/assists only, please.

Ascended

Smash Ace
The only third-party franchise that I think should get two characters is Sonic, and it has to be Tails.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
Even though I like Tails more than Sonic, I don't want to see two Third Parties from the same company in Smash. Smash is a Nintendo fighter, and the fact that we likely have 3 or 4 for this iteration of Smash (Sonic and Mega Man confirmed and Pacman and or Snake being likely), is more than enough for me. That said, secondary characters from Third Party series are fine with me for ATs, and I wouldn't mind if multiple characters showed up there.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The fanbases problem with 3rd party characters actually speaks to a lot of the reason why Nintendo doesn't get a whole lot of 3rd party support itself.

There's this certain aura in the air that makes Nintendo seems like a snooty old grandfather who looks down on all the other little new kids, but the fact is some 3rd party's like Sonic, Mega Man, etc, do play a major part in making Nintendo what it is.

To ignore that now that it's a part of Nintendo's legacy fighter? Well, frankly that's stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom