• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Should 3DS and Pro controllers be banned in Local and high level smash wiiu tournaments?

Should 3ds and other controllers really be banned from smash wii u tournes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

supersonicstep

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0361-8688-6963
I was looking into tournament rules and i saw pro controllers and 3ds controllers being banned in tournaments. This is actually off putting because the 3ds tournament scene only lived on in online tournaments and pretty much no nationals or locals are being hosted, so why not merge the scenes. TOs mentioned that they dont want certain controllers to give advantages but in dont think this is the best method to go by just including only GC controllers.The 3ds controller has the advantage of being able to play on the go but in terms of c stick its even limited.Pro Controllers are Almost like GC controllers with a Modern Layout and some people only have these controllers, and hopefully in the future we can get more controllers being that there are some amazing players who dont use GC controllers and they have the rights to be reconized and revive the 3ds scene using the wii u for nationals Please take your vote and stand on this argument(Also street fighter uses stick and Controller)
Vote here too:http://strawpoll.me/4983034

Last edited:

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
Many TOs ban wireless controllers to save time and make tournaments go smoother. Specifically, they want to avoid connections issues and syncing different controllers.

supersonicstep

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0361-8688-6963
Many TOs ban wireless controllers to save time and make tournaments go smoother. Specifically, they want to avoid connections issues and syncing different controllers.
Ah i understand but it does cut the potential of really good players even tho i really agree with you

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
Ah i understand but it does cut the potential of really good players even tho i really agree with you
Definitely, I agree with you. I've seen many great players use the 3DS, Pro Controller, and even the Wiimote & Nunchuk.

supersonicstep

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0361-8688-6963
Definitely, I agree with you. I've seen many great players use the 3DS, Pro Controller, and even the Wiimote & Nunchuk.
Right! And it really shoot down the players dreams when evo are banning these controllers when they are normal or even have less options then GC controllers and you see these players just pouring their hearts and souls just to make their character work and with different controls

Last edited:

Jeeble

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jeeble
3DS FC
4227-0772-2000
At my locals, at least once an hour I can hear someone yelling "Disconnect your Pro Controller".

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
There are people who use those controllers who still play at a high level at my local scene.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Having them be banned is something unfathomable to me. If you're like me, you have no GC controller. Not everyone saved those back from the GC era. I use the pro controller exclusively and not being allowed to enter the tournament scene because of a controller choice is just... Ugh. The GC controller is not superior to the Pro Controller. I consider them equal. Add that to the fact that it is MUCH HARDER to get yourself a GC controller and you have no reasons to ban a pro controller other than the time you lose in synching and desynching. But is alienating what is likely the largest part of the player base in favour of some time being saved worth it? I don't think so. GC controllers are way harder to find than pro controllers, especially in good condition. To speak nothing of the adapter...

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I allow 3DS and Pro Controllers at my events, but I admit it does cause problems (Especially with the Pro Controllers) with players accidentally turning them on, etc). When you have 80+ players in bracket, it would be nice not to have them due to the extra time it takes to sync, but at the same time, it's only fair to have them. A lot of players ONLY play on 3DS, which transitions over into the WiiU, and the best way is to allow them to use the same controller.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
This is a TO issue. It is their job to make sure the tournament runs fairly and smoothly and many just find it easier to ignore other controller options for the sake of saving time and (let's be honest here) laziness. The ones that ban a specific controller types are more worried about time constraints than making sure their tournament is fair and if that's the case than their ideals are contrary to the spirit of a tournament. Tournaments are supposed to represent a fair, unbiased comparison of all the skills each player has to offer. The point is to find out who is the best at this game we all play (3ds or WiiU), and if we block some people from entry, or handicap them by giving them a new controller setup that they haven't practiced with then we aren't getting a fair representation of who is the best.

supersonicstep

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0361-8688-6963
Warning Received
I allow 3DS and Pro Controllers at my events, but I admit it does cause problems (Especially with the Pro Controllers) with players accidentally turning them on, etc). When you have 80+ players in bracket, it would be nice not to have them due to the extra time it takes to sync, but at the same time, it's only fair to have them. A lot of players ONLY play on 3DS, which transitions over into the WiiU, and the best way is to allow them to use the same controller.
Atleast you use it and i really respect that you use them in your events, i know there could be problems like this but atleast you alllow players who use different controllers:b:

This is a TO issue. It is their job to make sure the tournament runs fairly and smoothly and many just find it easier to ignore other controller options for the sake of saving time and (let's be honest here) laziness. The ones that ban a specific controller types are more worried about time constraints than making sure their tournament is fair and if that's the case than their ideals are contrary to the spirit of a tournament. Tournaments are supposed to represent a fair, unbiased comparison of all the skills each player has to offer. The point is to find out who is the best at this game we all play (3ds or WiiU), and if we block some people from entry, or handicap them by giving them a new controller setup that they haven't practiced with then we aren't getting a fair representation of who is the best.
Exactly!

Having them be banned is something unfathomable to me. If you're like me, you have no GC controller. Not everyone saved those back from the GC era. I use the pro controller exclusively and not being allowed to enter the tournament scene because of a controller choice is just... Ugh. The GC controller is not superior to the Pro Controller. I consider them equal. Add that to the fact that it is MUCH HARDER to get yourself a GC controller and you have no reasons to ban a pro controller other than the time you lose in synching and desynching. But is alienating what is likely the largest part of the player base in favour of some time being saved worth it? I don't think so. GC controllers are way harder to find than pro controllers, especially in good condition. To speak nothing of the adapter...
I live that struggle too

Last edited by a moderator:

pershona

Smash Journeyman
GC controllers are way harder to find than pro controllers, especially in good condition. To speak nothing of the adapter...
GC controllers aren't hard to find in good condition at all considering you a brand new one for 20-30 dollars online.
Adapters shouldn't a problem either since there are some 3rd party ones that work as well the original.

supersonicstep

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0361-8688-6963
GC controllers aren't hard to find in good condition at all considering you a brand new one for 20-30 dollars online.
Adapters shouldn't a problem either since there are some 3rd party ones that work as well the original.
i meant as if people dont have that money and time to buy and practice with the controller why are other controllers smash 4 allows being exculded when these other controller players work just as hard as GC players

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Well......unless it's the Mayflash adapter for about $15.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
why are other controllers smash 4 allows being exculded when these other controller players work just as hard as GC players
Because those controllers can cause more problems at events than GC controllers.
I'm not saying they should be banned at every event, but allowing them could cause some problems depending how big the event is.

Last edited:

supersonicstep

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0361-8688-6963
Because those controllers can cause more problems at events than GC controllers.
I'm not saying they should be banned at every event, but allowing them could cause some problems depending how big the event is.
ive heard from this thread that its pretty much the TOs decision however when i saw EVO and Xanadu at one point, Banned every other controller which is more of a slap to the face to the controller players more then tourne problems.

RedMoon2546

Smash Cadet
NNID
omi
i was thinking the exact same thing. my main controller at the moment is the gamepad, and ive seen many people talk about how its not a legal tournament controller.

supersonicstep

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0361-8688-6963
i was thinking the exact same thing. my main controller at the moment is the gamepad, and ive seen many people talk about how its not a legal tournament controller.
I really do want to spread this to every tournament orginizer because a tournament is suppose to be a learning experience and a testiment of your skills, and when potential great players are being excluded, it really sucks

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I love the Pro controller. It's a shame there's no wireless version. The last tourney I went to banned everything but the gamecube. Kinda ridiculous in my opinion since it takes longer in my experience to unwrap a wirecontroller and plug it in than it does to simply sync and unsyc a wireless controller.

But I don't think it should be banned because it's the default controller for just about every other Wii U game but Smash. People are used to using it. It should be legal in tournaments. Not making it legal (in my opinion) gives an advantage to players who have used the gamecube controller for years. It's awkard to learn using for people who grew up on conventional controllers from consoles like the Xbox, PS2, 360 and PS3.

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
It's sad because I do much better with Classic Controller Pro, but I'm afraid I'll have to use Gamecube in the end. :/

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I actually haven't had anyone keep me from using a pro or my own 3ds at tourneys, but if they were to do so I would most likely be really bothered, simply because I don't own a Wii U and buying a GC controller would be stupid since no console to practice it in while the Pro controller and 3DS have the same layout and are mostly interchangeable. People should always allow them simply because it lets the scene expand more freely. (Wich seems to always be something the community cries about and strives for)

There are great players for each controller setup, believe it or not. Don't push them away from bringing their own flavor to the mix.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know that the 3DS really isn't the best controller option for Smash Wii U. However, the Pro Controller shouldn't be ignored, just because it's wireless.

Objekshin

Smash Cadet
Pro controller is good, 3ds is ok, but whats annoying is that sometimes they are still connected even after the person who has left, and sometimes they move the control stick, so no can play until that player either realizes they are still connected or they restart the console.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If people would desync their own ****ing controllers we would not have this issue.

Learn to desync your own hardware people.

Jesus.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
This saturday we had a tournament here on Brazil and before many matches a Pro Controller was appearing out of nowhere. The game's menu was even crazy. The game even had to restart because of it on-"stream"!
The problem is not with the controllers, but rather with the people who won't turn it off.

Top Bottom