• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

shorthop arrows

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
why not just shoot arrows from the ground and curve them up or down at the last second to prevent them from being reflected, short hopping seems unnecessary, so why do people do it, less lag or something? or so you cant get shot by a laser or anything while you're doing it? Im am at a loss

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
short hopping allows you to move while arrowing. Also it gets you over most spams and hits over falco's reflector which is always a lol.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Not only that but if you short hop and arrow them while they are on the ground. Even if they reflect it goes above your head.

Nublet

Smash Rookie
its an approach technique. i've seen it used alot but i've never really favored a projectile approach unless its falco's SHL. shame its semi-gone. i prefer toapproah with a glide over short hop arrows; its gives you more options.

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
SH arrows is just another method for approaching. Because standing still while trying to bait your opponent is not challenging at all. It's also good for mindgames because it makes you harder to read. You can be SH to aerial, arrow, or to do nothing at all.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I honestly think SH Arrows is a terrible approach unless it's being used as a mindgame. Hop arrow, land arrow, hop arrow, dash grab; for example. I don't like slow approaches as I'm always trying to be on the offensive. And as you said in your opening post, a simple change in direction alters the path of reflection.

But ALL of this conversation goes out the window when you utilize Arrow Chasing and Looping. If the don't see that arrow coming they get hit. If they can't see the arrow coming, but they know it is, they're going to be paranoid and defensive. This means they will either leave themselves open to your attack, or refuse to approach. In the end, being able to move while your opponent is at risk of being hit by an arrow they cannot see is a much better approach.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
yea but im not godly at arrow looping and all that haha.... i could probably practice, and probably will when i get more time to do stuff rather then school work

Nublet

Smash Rookie
arrow control is WAY difficult. after i make a full loop, my arrow always goes slightly up words, wizzing over the opponent. utilization of arrow chasing is a longs ways from me =(.

kupo15

Smash Hero
If they can't see the arrow coming, but they know it is, they're going to be paranoid and defensive. This means they will either leave themselves open to your attack, or refuse to approach. In the end, being able to move while your opponent is at risk of being hit by an arrow they cannot see is a much better approach.
I agree with this. But should you start with this early in the match or should you reserve your secret a little later on?

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
I agree with this. But should you start with this early in the match or should you reserve your secret a little later on?
from my experience do it early on. Its not exactly devastating but if the opponent is worried about you looping arrows it can just add another element to the mindgame.

kupo15

Smash Hero
so would you advise it as early as idk, the chance you get after the initial opening?
I guess there isn't such thing as too early.

w0p

Smash Rookie
I've grown to find that the short hop adds an angle which is good against opponents with reflectors. For example, while short hop arrowing a Wolf, if he were to reflect it it would soar above your head after you descend from the short hop. Shooting on the ground level consistently creates a predictability which is punishable by reflectable characters.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
refectors are not something you have to worry about if you curve your arrow down or up slightly right before it hit because the arrow wil reflect at a harmless angle, i think i posted that in m original post

so really asfaras sh arrows go there really isnt much of a use, unless your opponent cant handle taht cant of approach, which from what ive played is pretty much only noobs

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think SH arrows are a good approach at times. Sometimes you need to SH arrows to hit the opponent who is in that blind spot in the air.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
You want to take control of the match, and doing so early on is key. And besides, if you do become good at this game, which my assumption is that's your goal, then you're not going to be surprising anyone as they'll know what you can do.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Good point. Its like melee where if you face a Falcon, you know exactly what to expect. Same with Marth and falco ect..

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
kupo15: ahh i see, so that is a good use for sh arrows
UndrDog: are you referring to the arrow chasing? if so then yea i know its something i definitely need to get good enough at so that i can use it in a game, but if youre talking bout sh arrows then im confused cause in an earlier post you said you didnt like it as an approach strat

Top Bottom