• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short hop - tips?

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
This has gotta be on here somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I'm trying to develop real consistency with my short hop but I'm having problems doing that, especially online. Any tips to make it easier/more consistent? It seems like I too frequently high jump which totally annihalates my neutral air attacks as I just jump over em and miss completely. I use Toon Link btw, and I'm especially trying to get his short hop bair steady. Thanks for any help

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
If you're new to short hopping it can sometimes take a while to get it working smoothly as a part of your game, the best way that I could recommend to learn it the fastest is to fire up a flat map such as FD on training mode and keep short hopping back and fourth across the map, once you are able to do that consistently try starting to incorporate attacks in to it.
There's no real technique in making short hopping easier besides using the button (if you're already not) - but that's a personal preference, I know of people that can easily use tap jumping to short hop and attack from them just as easily as I can with the button.

Zindura

Smash Cadet
My technique is to strike the edge of the x-button and slide my finger off the side.

You'll find something that works for you if you practice.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
I have more difficulty fast falling, to be honest. The fact that every character has a different timing for it doesn't help.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Unless your me, I'm a moron that flicks the control stick. I should probably break that habit...

TheStagesmith

Smash Rookie
If you're using a nunchuck, try switching the C and Z buttons. I find it much easier to quickly tap the Z button.

Kilut

Smash Cadet
Use fox to practice his short hop is much harder to do, or go back to melee and master his short hop there, then youll be able to short hop with everyone, brawl or melee

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
If you're new to short hopping it can sometimes take a while to get it working smoothly as a part of your game, the best way that I could recommend to learn it the fastest is to fire up a flat map such as FD on training mode and keep short hopping back and fourth across the map, once you are able to do that consistently try starting to incorporate attacks in to it.
ditto...thats what i did

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
There's no real technique in making short hopping easier besides using the button (if you're already not) - but that's a personal preference, I know of people that can easily use tap jumping to short hop and attack from them just as easily as I can with the button.
that's really the best post in this topic.

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
Hey thanks for all the quick responses. I'm surprised that it wasn't something simplier like assigning some auto short hop button (some players make it look like they have one considering how easily they can short hop). I guess I'll just have to practice, is it better/easier to use the control stick or to use a button? And also how do you quick land easier, any help on that, or just practice more?

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Practice in melee where its harder to do and then see how easy it is to do in brawl, I NEVER FULL JUMP when I don't want to anymore because of how difficult it was to do in melee that I mastered and many others did that pays off in brawl

Killress

Smash Ace
Hey thanks for all the quick responses. I'm surprised that it wasn't something simplier like assigning some auto short hop button (some players make it look like they have one considering how easily they can short hop). I guess I'll just have to practice, is it better/easier to use the control stick or to use a button? And also how do you quick land easier, any help on that, or just practice more?
Definitely use a button. I, personally like Y over X. Quick land, is actually fast fall :). All you need to do it press down on the joystick at the peak of your jump.

Practice in melee where its harder to do and then see how easy it is to do in brawl, I NEVER FULL JUMP when I don't want to anymore because of how difficult it was to do in melee that I mastered and many others did that pays off in brawl
Agreed. Try it in melee. Brawl feels so easy compared to melee. SH in brawl is a breeze:lick:

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
LOL dude i dare u to short hop in melee. they made it tooo easy here in brawl. i do short hops now naturally.

u just press it fast and lightly

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
If you really cant do the simple x or y. You can set it to up on the control pad. Thats what my friends does. Well down on the WiiMote + Nunchuck, whats the difference? :p

sm0keyii

Smash Rookie
When I started playing brawl, I had sold my gamecube about 1 year prior to the release of it. I decided to rock the nun-chuk style of play since I felt like it could be a new begining for me. I used to have some difficulty adjusting to the game and performing low jumps, but I tried a GCN controller and it's way easier to control jumps with it. I'm still gonna stick with my "chucks" Weeee

RazeveX

Smash Ace
dude, you should have played melee. It took me like a year to master fox's short hop (you can only hold the button for 4 frames; thats 1/15 of a second).

In brawl its as easy as pie; in fact it throws off my game because of it. Not to put you down or anything, but it really shouldnt be that hard. Just tap the button and let go as fast as you can.

Allbrex

Smash Apprentice
Yea I know what you mean now, as a matter of fact I was getting it down pretty good yesterday. I'm seeing it just takes a little practice to get it consistent, who is the best character/most challenging in Brawl to do it with? I actually did play Melee too, used Marth, but it was much harder in that game to peform techs consistently, which is why I didn't play that game as much.

Top Bottom