• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Short Hop effieciently?

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
Yea, so I'm a kirby main, and I'm just learning how to do advanced techniques, like wavedash, Crouch cancel, etc.

So anyway i try short hopping with kirby, and i find it almost impossible for me to use. In training. When i attempt to short hop i usually short hop only 10% of the time. However, when I try short hopping with other characters like Link, i can short hop easily. I read up on short hopping, and found that kirby is one of the hardest to short hop with. So, I'm just asking all the experienced people, what do you do to practice short hopping? Do you have any tricks or special way you press X/Y? Also, which button do you guys suggest I use to jump?

And yes everyone I know kirby is bottom tier

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I know alot of people use the slide method where they simply slide their finger off the x/y button as fast as they can to short hop. I personally just tap the x button with my thumb. I have used the slide method and I know it works so I might suggest that. Its definitely hard to SH with kirby(4 frame jumps FTW) but really all it takes is practice.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
yeah, just hit the button and move your finger off as quick as possible--not *too* hard.

practice, practice,practice!

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
I know alot of people use the slide method where they simply slide their finger off the x/y button as fast as they can to short hop. I personally just tap the x button with my thumb. I have used the slide method and I know it works so I might suggest that. Its definitely hard to SH with kirby(4 frame jumps FTW) but really all it takes is practice.
I lol'd when you said you used the X button. (Inside joke...... No offense to people who jump with the X button, because I do too.)

@ OP: What you do is. Get a pushing pen (or a lead pencil). And push the bottom on the pen (in and out, I know that nasty...) as fast as you can. This will practice you with your Y/X Jumping.

Press the Y/X button fast, not lightly. Fast, not hard. Fast, yes Fast.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I lol'd when you said you used the X button. (Inside joke...... No offense to people who jump with the X button, because I do too.)

@ OP: What you do is. Get a pushing pen (or a lead pencil). And push the bottom on the pen (in and out, I know that nasty...) as fast as you can. This will practice you with your Y/X Jumping.

Press the Y/X button fast, not lightly. Fast, not hard. Fast, yes Fast.
That's a very obscure technique to learning it but it sounds like it could work. I already can SH perfectly so I won't be able to try it but if you need help it can't hurt. Kirby has a tough SH but if you just practice tapping the button instead of pressing you will get it. Flick your wrist while your thumb is over the button and it should be a quick enough release and won't press the button in all the way. I use Y to jump but it should work for X fine.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
I think I should restate my little strategy. You have to press the button on the pen until it goes in or out. The catch is that you have to keep your thumb on the button for as little time as you can. (Like only split seconds)

That way you'll press the Y/X button and would short hop because you're taking your thumb off Y/X really fast just like how you did with the pen.

Linjishu

Smash Rookie
Kirby is indeed one of the hardest to short hop with, along with Fox, Sheik, and some others.

My method is to put the nail of my right thumb at the bottom of the X button and then sliding it down really quickly.

Doesn't take too long to learn. It's basically a quick flick of your nail instead of your actual thumb (which I find much easier).

Puffer

Smash Apprentice
I think I should restate my little strategy. You have to press the button on the pen until it goes in or out. The catch is that you have to keep your thumb on the button for as little time as you can. (Like only split seconds)

That way you'll press the Y/X button and would short hop because you're taking your thumb off Y/X really fast just like how you did with the pen.
That's probably the most innovative idea I've heard so far. The only obvious problem with it is that you'd be pressing the "pen button" a lot further than you'd be pressing the "X" or "Y" button, regardless of speed. Still, it sounds like it'd work really well.

Top Bottom