• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shields and Dodging are stupid

Alexanderjac

Smash Rookie
It seems like everyone is using them and it's really freaking frustrating because they keep either running away or using cheap ass shields and dodges to negate attacks. It's completely unfair and ruins the game.

Last edited:

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
They aren't bad, but they're stupid when they're the only thing you do. Anyone who plays Smash Bros. defensively has no skill, and if I lose to someone who plays defensively, I won't consider it a loss. Just someone being cheap and not knowing how to play. For Glory needs to ban players who abuse these mechanics.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Rather than declare them stupid and unfair, try to learn how to deal with them. Watch some pro SSB. You don't see people dodging and shielding 24/7. If it was so unfair, people would spam it at the competitive level. But they don't, because there are ways around it. Watch them and figure out what they do to deal with shields and dodges. Both are exploitable. If someone shields your attacks, either you're being to predictable and should switch things up, or they're spamming, in which case you can retaliate with a grab. As for rolls, there are vulnerable frames at the end of roll. Punish spammers by using attacks with a long reach timed to hit them when their roll ends.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Shielding and dodging are important tactics. You just need to pay close attention to such actions, and figure out how you can counter them.

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
The more you play, the less trouble you will have with this i'm sure :)

It's not that shielding and dodging are unfair, but spamming them is incredibly effective at a lower level of play. Once you've gotten the hang of predicting and punishing someone just doing the same thing over and over, you'll destroy these players every time.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
The more you play, the less trouble you will have with this i'm sure :)

It's not that shielding and dodging are unfair, but spamming them is incredibly effective at a lower level of play. Once you've gotten the hang of predicting and punishing someone just doing the same thing over and over, you'll destroy these players every time.
Same with other spamming other techniques and going up against characters you see everywhere: you learn how to counter them, given enough dedication, of course.

D

Deleted member 245254

They aren't bad, but they're stupid when they're the only thing you do. Anyone who plays Smash Bros. defensively has no skill, and if I lose to someone who plays defensively, I won't consider it a loss. Just someone being cheap and not knowing how to play. For Glory needs to ban players who abuse these mechanics.
You aren't going to ever be anything at this game with that kind of perception.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Arguing with that guy, lol. Don't waste your time.

Defense: how does it work? :awesome:

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
That's not true at all... Playing defensively is really difficult...

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
That's not true at all... Playing defensively is really difficult...
High level defense. Playing defense against lower-level players is substantially easier. They don't read and predict as well as those who do tournaments all the time and hone their skills there.

I was wondering how long it would be until you showed up. But I doubt you'll get anywhere without better reasoning, advice, and/or fact presentation. Just telling something to someone without anything to back it up is like putting a lion in a cage with a donkey and thinking the donkey is going to heat the lion; it just will not work.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Lol rolling then attacking isn't skill guys. I've done it numerous times. Besides, it's really inconsiderate to those who want to play the game. You're really gonna have fun with someone who does nothing but run away like a *****?

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Truth is some rolls and dodges need to be toned down seriously. Rosalina's invisible dodges are insane. Links back roll is godlike. Some of the rolls need to be easier to punish- not to help me- but to make rolls more balanced among the cast.

I don't like that certain characters can spam rolls to no end, but others can't because their rolls are slower or don't seem like they last as long.

Link's Roll can outpace D3's dash , and thats a no no lol

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Lol rolling then attacking isn't skill guys. I've done it numerous times. Besides, it's really inconsiderate to those who want to play the game. You're really gonna have fun with someone who does nothing but run away like a *****?
I'm baffled at how anyone could call shielding and dodging cheap. Now I've seen it all.

Playing defensively is half the game. If you don't have a balance of both offense and defense, then you're gonna get killed.

Also what do you mean by shielding and then attacking isn't skill? If you use tactics like those wisely then it can be. If you use it excessively, your opponent will see it coming and punish you. But this goes for any kind of move...

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
"Ban people for blocking my spam Samurai!!!"

D

Deleted member 245254

I was wondering how long it would be until you showed up. But I doubt you'll get anywhere without better reasoning, advice, and/or fact presentation. Just telling something to someone without anything to back it up is like putting a lion in a cage with a donkey and thinking the donkey is going to heat the lion; it just will not work.
I have no intention of "getting anywhere", so really how you perceive the effective value of what I said is irrelevant, I'm just stating how I feel about his viewpoint. I didn't post to change hearts and minds, because coincidentally I feel most rational people are likely to agree with me anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Only someone who you find these mechanics "unfair" is trash. (Or to put is less harshly, someone who is confused of how to punish these tactics, and decides to vent on forums saying it's impossible to punish, in hopes someone will give them some secret advice to help them improve as a player)

Grab counters shield, why don't you use it? Have you even heard of spacing?

By dodging I assume you mean constant rolling. Bait it. If that doesn't work, bait it again until you get it right. Low level players tend to always roll the same way. Pressure them, and punish it. You can do the same thing with air dodging albeit easier.

All I can say is, get good.

Don't worry, I've been through this stage too.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Everyone also runs and jumps and you don't see people complaining about that.

Safer play is necessary online because people's internet sucks and isn't fully reliable, and thus you have a significant risk of failing aggressive play due to a sudden packet lost or spike in ping. This isn't an issue in person, and most of the top characters in the game favor an aggressive playstyle.

To be fair, defense isn't total trash in this game like it is in Melee and 64, and as long as it's a valid option, there will always be people who insist the game boils down to defense (it doesn't), or plays like a total campfest (depends on the character).

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
It is a defensive game you gonna have to learn to play like them lol.
Why do people keep saying it's a defensive game? What do you define as defensive? Camping, sitting in shield, or spamming rolls? Those are all punishable one way or another, and sometimes online makes them harder to punish, but it's the players choice to play online and adapt to input lag no matter how much. From my experience, however, I feel Sm4sh's online has made a significant improvement, and I only occasionally have bad but tolerable input lag.

Though I play a majority of FG which is either full low level/causal players, players who lack game knowledge, or the occasional decent player. (Rarely a good player)

A player can work around defenses easily if they know how to. I'm an aggressive player, not a defensive player. Hence what I said in my above post.

Grab counters shield. Spacing can potentially spare you of a shield grab or punish.

Rolls can be baited and punished if they are repetitive or not mixed up, and if you can't hit a smash attack on them, get them off stage and/or KO them with a kill move other than a Smash attack.

It's really annoying to hear people say this is a purely defensive game, when it's not.

Everyone also runs and jumps and you don't see people complaining about that.

Safer play is necessary online because people's internet sucks and isn't fully reliable, and thus you have a significant risk of failing aggressive play due to a sudden packet lost or spike in ping. This isn't an issue in person, and most of the top characters in the game favor an aggressive playstyle.

To be fair, defense isn't total trash in this game like it is in Melee and 64, and as long as it's a valid option, there will always be people who insist the game boils down to defense (it doesn't), or plays like a total campfest (depends on the character).
From my experience, ping is actually fixed once you enter a match. Correct me if I am wrong, but I've had matches where I had a great connection, then one match, horrible input lag, but it never ceased, and seemed to be, if not consistent, roughly the same amount of input lag throughout the match. Then, next match (same person) it's gone.

Perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about and Ping/Input Lag are not related in any way. (This is how League of Legends works anyways)

The only thing I've seen change during a match is the Frame Rate.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Why do people keep saying it's a defensive game? What do you define as defensive? Camping, sitting in shield, or spamming rolls? Those are all punishable one way or another, and sometimes online makes them harder to punish, but it's the players choice to play online and adapt to input lag no matter how much.
People who don't play this game, or who solely view offense as the valid strategy, or who come around on a second account to repeat the same unsupported message over and over, or who are predictable and easily read. Those are the ones who think the game is defensive. It's defensive because defending is a worthwhile option at all.

Meanwhile the evidence points to a game with a balance of offense and defense, in which the best characters are currently consistently heavily aggressive.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
Why do people keep saying it's a defensive game? What do you define as defensive? Camping, sitting in shield, or spamming rolls? Those are all punishable one way or another, and sometimes online makes them harder to punish, but it's the players choice to play online and adapt to input lag no matter how much. From my experience, however, I feel Sm4sh's online has made a significant improvement, and I only occasionally have bad but tolerable input lag.

Though I play a majority of FG which is either full low level/causal players, players who lack game knowledge, or the occasional decent player. (Rarely a good player)

A player can work around defenses easily if they know how to. I'm an aggressive player, not a defensive player. Hence what I said in my above post.

Grab counters shield. Spacing can potentially spare you of a shield grab or punish.

Rolls can be baited and punished if they are repetitive or not mixed up, and if you can't hit a smash attack on them, get them off stage and/or KO them with a kill move other than a Smash attack.

It's really annoying to hear people say this is a purely defensive game, when it's not.

From my experience, ping is actually fixed once you enter a match. Correct me if I am wrong, but I've had matches where I had a great connection, then one match, horrible input lag, but it never ceased, and seemed to be, if not consistent, roughly the same amount of input lag throughout the match. Then, next match (same person) it's gone.

Perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about and Ping/Input Lag are not related in any way. (This is how League of Legends works anyways)

The only thing I've seen change during a match is the Frame Rate.
Offensive play isn't rewarded as much as defensive play and tons of people have explained why the game is defensive. Believe what you want.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
At first, I thought the OP wasn't being serious, but seeing as he/she hasn't really responded yet, I can't be sure. But reading some of the comments here . . . oh . . . oh my.

Ephemiel

Smash Cadet
Always nice to know there's people who only consider offense to be the only option. Allows me to play defensively and piss the person off.

I imagine that these people are complaining about blocking in fighting games? Using shields in RPGs?

Machii

Smash Apprentice
It seems like everyone is using them and it's really freaking frustrating because they keep either running away or using cheap *** shields and dodges to negate attacks. It's completely unfair and ruins the game.
Only in online matches. Its because the input lag negates offensive counters. Quit playing online and look to your local community to get the most out of the game. Also, figure out which aerial attacks of your main have reduced landing lag to combo from, that will help. But seriously, just dont play online.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Offensive play isn't rewarded as much as defensive play and tons of people have explained why the game is defensive. Believe what you want.
Where have "tons of people" explained why the game is defensive? The people in this thread? The OP? The OP especially isn't a valid source, neither do I know the skill level of any of the players in this thread. Maybe these players don't know how to approach properly? Maybe they don't know what to do in every situation?

You aren't proving your point.

I also hardly ever have a problem online, though I don't doubt lag exists, even if it's just a few frames of input lag when I play.

What do I do when someone is running and throwing projectiles at me? I run up and shield the projectile as soon as it comes at me, and I dash again immediately after so I can easily get close to them. They can run, but I'm going to hunt them down, and I will get them.

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace
People don't get the point though. It's easy to punish people who spam rolls and stuff, but it's boring and annoying to deal with someone who rolls 80% of the time. I've had enough of running into people who only know how to roll. I need matches that excite me. Matches that build adrenaline. Matches that actually awards me for giving my biggest effort, but no! I''m up against camping nubs who spam Samus, Ness, and Link!-_-

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
You guys (at least the people complaining about defensive options) are almost exactly like League of Legends players. Players who complain of always getting feeders on their teams, when in reality, if you're actually a good player, the enemy team has five potential feeder, while you only have four. You must've made a mistake somewhere, maybe you didn't get far ahead enough. Even then, not every game is winnable, you just have to suck it up and play the next match.

Oh you got caught out at 40 minutes? "Wtf where's my team!?" Yeah, that's you, and you just cost us the game.

In the case of Smash players, you blame defensive options. You either don't understand how to approach properly, don't space well enough, don't know how to grab shields (this takes the cake), don't know how to shield projectiles, and the list could go on. The chances are you're likely lacking in these area's one way or another.

Until you realize your mistakes, you will never improve, and will forever remain ignorant.

I actually used to blame people for spamming in Brawl too, but never for defensive options. That was back when I was a wee scrub, though. I've come a long way and am a much better player than I was back then.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

People don't get the point though. It's easy to punish people who spam rolls and stuff, but it's boring and annoying to deal with someone who rolls 80% of the time. I've had enough of running into people who only know how to roll. I need matches that excite me. Matches that build adrenaline. Matches that actually awards me for giving my biggest effort, but no! I''m up against camping nubs who spam Samus, Ness, and Link!-_-
I'm inclined to agree but at the same time there's nothing stopping you from suiciding twice and re-queuing to get someone else, which makes this complaint rather...pointless. You can also furthermore choose to block that player to ensure you never get matched up with them again.

The power is really in your hands to filter out those players, so there's no reason to act like they are such a bane on your experience.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I'm inclined to agree but at the same time there's nothing stopping you from suiciding twice and re-queuing to get someone else, which makes this complaint rather...pointless. You can also furthermore choose to block that player to ensure you never get matched up with them again.

The power is really in your hands to filter out those players, so there's no reason to act like they are such a bane on your experience.
Can't you get banned for excessive suicide, though? And suiciding twice deliberatly would be bad sportsmanship, and dishonorable if honor existed in the game, would it not?

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Can't you get banned for excessive suicide, though? And suiciding twice deliberatly would be bad sportsmanship, and dishonorable if honor existed in the game, would it not?
If the match has terrible input lag, I'll forfeit the match. If I leave I'll face a 10 minute or more, ban. I don't want that, so I'm going to SD my stocks to forfeit the match. I don't care about my win ratio.

It's not dishonorable, but honestly, if you're not enjoying yourself, go ahead and forfeit. You aren't rewarded for Win Ratio, it's worthless other than to tout about it.

I don't forfeit by SD's often though, I don't know if it's bannable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I pretty much SD every time I get matched against a player where I have to deal with input lag, I can't stand it and will not train myself to play under it. Since USA had the game much earlier than Japan you could say I got matched with a lot of folks where I experienced input lag, and I didn't think twice about suiciding. I haven't been banned yet. That's not very solid evidence of it not having any potential to ban you but that's my experience. Thankfully the game released in Japan so I need to do it less frequently.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
If the match has terrible input lag, I'll forfeit the match. If I leave I'll face a 10 minute or more, ban. I don't want that, so I'm going to SD my stocks to forfeit the match. I don't care about my win ratio.

It's not dishonorable, but honestly, if you're not enjoying yourself, go ahead and forfeit. You aren't rewarded for Win Ratio, it's worthless other than to tout about it.

I don't forfeit by SD's often though, I don't know if it's bannable.
I pretty much SD every time I get matched against a player where I have to deal with input lag, I can't stand it and will not train myself to play under it. Since USA had the game much earlier than Japan you could say I got matched with a lot of folks where I experienced input lag, and I didn't think twice about suiciding. I haven't been banned yet. That's not very solid evidence of it not having any potential to ban you but that's my experience. Thankfully the game released in Japan so I need to do it less frequently.
I was talking about going up against spammers/matchups you hate and SDing twice deliberately. I mean, the ratio doesn't matter, but don't people want to better themselves at the game? Input lag, I can understand. Part of the journey is learning how to deal with bad matchups and spam, so why refuse the opportunity to benefit yourself and your opponent?

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I was talking about going up against spammers/matchups you hate and SDing twice deliberately. I mean, the ratio doesn't matter, but don't people want to better themselves at the game? Input lag, I can understand. Part of the journey is learning how to deal with bad matchups and spam, so why refuse the opportunity to benefit yourself and your opponent?
Well, that's their choice. If they don't want to play it, then don't, but then they start complaining about spammers, in which, spamming does not aid the player at all, as if it's some cheap tactic.If they really want to do something about this, they need to improve, and they won't by complaining about spammers.

D

Deleted member 245254

I don't personally SD against a player simply for their play style, no matter what it is. This is why I entered the thread saying that a mindset bent on believing any one kind of play style is cheating or terrible simply because you lose to it or find it it annoying will not get you to improve, ever.

I was simply recommending to those whose experience is ruined because of those play styles to do the same thing I do when met with input lag. It's a game after all, fun is the first and foremost priority. If it isn't fun for you, don't put up with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
I'm baffled at how anyone could call shielding and dodging cheap. Now I've seen it all.

Playing defensively is half the game. If you don't have a balance of both offense and defense, then you're gonna get killed.

Also what do you mean by shielding and then attacking isn't skill? If you use tactics like those wisely then it can be. If you use it excessively, your opponent will see it coming and punish you. But this goes for any kind of move...
You don't get it. Some people ONLY play defensively.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It seems like everyone is using them and it's really freaking frustrating because they keep either running away or using cheap *** shields and dodges to negate attacks. It's completely unfair and ruins the game.
God forbid people use defensive technique to not get hit.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Why I personally say the game is defensive, is because the game fools you into thinking combos exist, and you go for a follow up and just get smacked in the face

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
If someone is using that tactic, just use that tactic against him. Reverse psychology the fight.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It's an integral part of the game. Shields, rolls, and dodges keep the players attentive to tactics.

There's no point in bashing a strategy that has been literally used for 15 years.

Top Bottom