• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shielding?

Gaaraofthesand1337

Smash Cadet
When I face people, they sometimes attack me successfully even though i have my shield up. Why is that? It never works for me...

robman1

Smash Cadet
if your shield is small they can still attack parts of your character that are not being covered by the shield.

maybe?

Depressed Man

Smash Apprentice
Maybe the attack has an effect where when it hit it reduced the shield to the point where the residue hit you? Though I don't think any character has that kind of attack..maybe explosives.

Gaaraofthesand1337

Smash Cadet
The situation was me as falco against marth online. He uses his over-b, so I shield and I see my shield as he hits me but the attack goes right through and hits me, which results in comboing. It also happened against snake, where he used his f-smash, charged as I hit shield, and fired right after I put the shield up. ok, i thought, i'll be fine, but no! Pow...KO. I'm pretty confused on this matter.

Also, these were all first hits that broke through

robman1

Smash Cadet
the way i learned about it just being some missing shield was ironically also because of marth. In melee with his ability to spam side smashes called for shielding. Often tho, this was futile because a foot was left open or something.

This is probably the case for you. Even a little shield use can lower it enough to get hit by marth since he swings all the way through.

WR3K

Smash Ace
go****it i have also experienced this too, and it has been with marth..... dont tell me sheilding is now useless against the already overpowered marth

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Certain moves can 'shield stab,' or hit areas of the body not covered by the shield. This is especially important to consider when fighting large characters with smaller shields like Bowser or Dedede.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Since I highly doubt this is a glitch and it's actually just the hitbox hitting you in a place where your shield doesn't completely cover you, here's something worth trying: titling your shield to cover the part of your body likely to get shield stabbed. I did it all the time in melee, netting me a lot more grabs and a lot less deaths.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
This happens to me online sometimes. I was shielding against snakes fair and got KOed even though my shield was nice and large.

Also, sometimes because you need to click the GC shield in so tight, I accidentally let go of it... =\

robman1

Smash Cadet
yeah thats one thing that DOES bother me about brawl. In melee I got around this problem by only lightly pressing the shield button which resulted in a larger shield. But because you have to click it to get it in this one... well theres only one kind of shield

Top Bottom