• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shielding is not illegal

ShieldingIsTheFuture

Smash Rookie
My friends and I play Smash Ultimate every weekend together, and initially, all was well. But during one of our intoxicated bouts, a sudden inebriated rule came forth.

Thou shalt not shield.

Regulated under this new rule included dodging, shielding, shielded grabs, spot dodging. All of it, gone.
This. . . was actually extremely fun when items were on, and the added challenge of focusing on timing your rushdown, as someone who has played in a few melee tournaments, was an interesting new take on the gameplay, and how best to manipulate advantage based solely on positioning and timing.

Also, we were ****faced most times we played, which helped.

But now it has evolved past items on drunken time. Every match we play, dodging and shielding is gone. Rushdown is the new meta. Characters with items are borderline broken. I go online, and I've completely forgotten how to tech. My fingers ache when rested on either trigger.

I haven't seen a grab in 4 weeks. . .

Please, someone, acknowledge this atrocity. In this thread tell my friends that shielding is not illegal. I've created this account for this sole purpose.

Also, can we please have a setting is SSBU that allows the grab button to function as an attack while you're airborne, instead of air dodging. That's how it worked in melee and I miss it.

Thanks for your time,

ShieldingIsTheFuture

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Grab as an attack while airborne? As far as I remember, even in Melee it only attacked when a character had a Zair tether. Otherwise, it was just a dodge as there was nothing to cancel the dodge with for anybody else.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
I'm always too scared to use my shield, but I'll gladly support your cause. Shielding really is the future!

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
playing without shield?! nooooo way! i need my shield and my dodging otherwise i would had been hit and grabbed waaaay more!

Top Bottom