• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Pressure

Dominus Felis

Smash Apprentice
I feel like shield pressure is nearly impossible in this game, something that hurts peach a lot. Any ideas on how we could make shield pressure better?

♥ Rd0Lg ♥

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rider0fLightning
3DS FC
0989-1743-4601
There's really no way to keep anyone in shield now. Most attacks are laggy enough that you can throw out a tilt or smash from shield and it is usually safe after getting hit. My preferred method is to simply space so they can't retaliate, or use really lagless moves like dAir.

EDIT: Mr.. Saturn is a good way too. :D

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Dair is a good way for inducing shield pressure and well spaced nairs work. Use some turnips too.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
If you get their shield low enough, like if they shield float dair to fair, then you can force reactions coz they don't want the shield broken. There's a couple ways to pressure shields. Float dair is one, and Peach bomber also takes a large chunk off peoples' shields. And the combination of float and bomber, with like a turnip in hand (to put them on the defensive), can definitely create opportunities for you. Shield pressure doesn't really have to be your main peach strat, though, coz her range and defense is great, and one grab or tilt (any) or dash attack can easily turn into a 20-30 percent combo.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
The way I shield pressure is with the use of Nair and dtilts, If I space a nair on shield, I usually dish out a dtilt to stop attacks out of shields and grabs. Also turnip approach from the air to a dtilt is really good.

There is one trick I started doing that I se to frame trap people. Usually, when you short hop dair an opponent, people try to grab/attack you. If you jump and buffer a dair, you can ground float right after. You have to do this quickly. From this you will ground float and can do a retreating nair.If this is blocked you are safe. You can also catch a few rolls from this if they try to roll behind. Then you can got for tricky mix ups like Short op dair,>ground float nair>Dtilt. you can mix and match these options.

You pressure an opponent based on what thy do when they are shielding. Wether its attack or evade. You have to adapt to how the PLAYER response to you on shield. She can pressure people on shield well in this game. It's just not as good as it was in melee/brawl. You have to space well and time your attacks. or else people will just mash buttons hoping for the best and it will be granted to them on stupid luck.

Do this correctly and people can NOT mash attacks out of shield on you.

Last edited:

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Yea, that also another good one. Just because cause the answer to this one is for people to attack out of shield with things like nairs or some uptilts. But if they fry to use ground moves, then this is good.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
I like that. Noted.

I also found that if you attempt any variant of dair, and the opponent shields it, then you can just land on reaction. It's easy to space out of grab range anyway, so your landing in response to their shielding often keeps them on the defensive since we really don't suffer lag from dair. I've had it happen many times where I screw up a ground float dair or a sh dair, and end up in a favorable position after landing coz the enemy is still shielding. So I started purposefully working that into my game as a cool gimmick.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If you use dair on someone while they are in shield, make sure you mix up what follow up you do after the fact so you can stay safe and ensure they can't jut do whatever they want OoS without thinking about it.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Make sure when you Dair that you are in a safe position doing so. If you see them shield you can go for a d tilt or a throw. A lot of the time the opponent may drop his or her shield and you may be able to use dtilt. Remember that at higher percents it can and will combo into umbrella and it will kill the lighter characters on most low ceilings.

Top Bottom