• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield poking/breaking

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
that can't break a shield and they'll punish you for the dsmash so you can't follow up with anything really
(not so much punish as wavedash out or jump or something) although the dair -> three jab combo has been pretty solid to me

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
or out of pure mindgames, dash back and forth while ur opponent has their shield up and wait for them to break it cuz they held it up too long. mario does have mindgames.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
or out of pure mindgames, dash back and forth while ur opponent has their shield up and wait for them to break it cuz they held it up too long. mario does have mindgames.
if you get anyone to do that, unplug their controller and tell them to quit on the spot. please.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
awwww you got you goals ahead but it doesnt hurt to have fun once in a while.

me.....i enjoy smoking pot and playing melee.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
if your goal is to become the next best player in the world
then fack school bro
DROP OUT AND PLAY VIDEO GAMES
(I'm kidding. don't do this. It would be extremely contradictory)

Edit: SO it seems we're talking about GnW in the matchup thread, and to my knowledge he has a terrible shield

this means all the info in this thread could be put to good use
Y
E
A
H

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
ya his full shield sucks ***. the only thing he can do is light shield. which still sucks cuz his shield is terrible. maybe dtilt if he gets poke can combo into something. he is really light anyway. and breaking his shield is gonna be near impossible if he lightshields, cuz hell prob roll or wd out. it's still possible to break tho if he holds it down hard, like reg shield.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
i dont see that many people light shield a lot. if theydo i would began to think about trying to shield break anyone.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
I've been trying to add that to my game. especially for my marth, because if I lightshield a strong attack, it'll probably put me into perfectly spaced fair range

and you can't shieldbreak a lightshield. it's just not possible from experience

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
One of the problems with lightshielding is you take extra shieldstun (and shield push) when lightshielding, so it's strictly for blocking moves, not for countering other attacks.

I believe knowing how to properly angle shield is more helpful than lightshielding.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
i agree lightshield should only be used in certain occasion. i think marth is a good to lightshield if he is not tech chasing you with grabs.

j3ly

Smash Champion
lightshielding on the edge (of a platform) is almost always a good idea, you get pushed off the side and can react instantly (as opposed to a normal shield, where you have to tumble recover before you can act). Be that double jump -> ****, or a simple fair (with marth) its a good idea.

light shield takes alottt of stun. But its a good idea and works out alot. for example:

I always shine ooS under pressure
opp decides to nair -> shinegrab and i keep getting grabbed before i can counter
light shield means the shine grab wont connect.

the next stage of this mindgame is normally opp empty hops into shield -> shinegrab, and theres nothing you can do about it.

lightshield on the edge of the stage when a falco approaches you with SHL, by the time he reaches you, you would have bee pushed onto the edge. if he is not familiar with the mindgame, its a free attack from the ledge

j3ly

Smash Champion
if u can shffl fair consistently, its not that bad.
the ONLY WAY around samus's crouch cancelling. if you jump instantly afterwards, her attack will miss you and you can fair again :)

j3ly

Smash Champion
nah u'll get hit the second u touch the ground. at low %'s stick to late fairs then do another late on asap.

higher %'s, you can dair them. if they CC then every hit will connect, and the floor hit will knock her out of range. at this point she may or may not do the smash she meant to CC with - walk fowards a tiny bit and fsmash to punish

j3ly

Smash Champion
hmm idk, you would have to dash out of samus' range. CCing 1/2s the stun from a move so i doubt you would have time if the samus was fairly frame perfect with it, unless she goes into the meteor smash animation (low %'s samus on the ground)

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
you mean the animation where they're just above the ground but looks like they're floating?
yeah that would make sense
the DD thing was just a stretch to see what possibly could be done in that situation
although seeing fair -> fair -> fair combos would be pretty sick

a rookie

Smash Ace
You could do a Auto Cancelled SH bair, waveland behind them, jab ---> dsmash/wavedash back to the front? Idk, haha. I've never really broken shields before.

Top Bottom