• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield grabbing is driving me insane.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
I constantly run into players in For Glory whose only means of getting damage off is by shield grabbing. Nothing else. Nope. No other way. These players can't go 2 SECONDS without shielding (or even rolling). It's really frustrating and sad to see dash up > shield > grab or roll > shield > grab every match. I've lost all patience for it because it just seems too overpowering. I don't know if 4's 0 shield stun plays a factor, but I just have a hard time accepting that this is normal.

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
Odd. People who do that often get their shields poked or get grabbed. I know there are For Glory tactics people use, but what you're describing is just uncommon to me. Who do you play as? People need to shield when facing Little Mac.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
Odd. People who do that often get their shields poked or get grabbed. I know there are For Glory tactics people use, but what you're describing is just uncommon to me. Who do you play as? People need to shield when facing Little Mac.
Oh of course I shield my butt off when facing Little Mac. I mean, come on, it's Little Mac. I show Little Mac players no sympathy:awesome:. But everyone else gets the respect. I play Villager, though, which is probably why I'm not a huge fan of shield grabbing. However, even when I use my other characters, same results.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It really requires a good read to avoid grab and shield grab. Sometimes they just stay on the edge and wait for the bait and grab you and throw you out of the stage, I know this is one of the tatics, but I really dislike this tatics because it's simple but really a bait move.

Do you know you can also avoid grab by simply side dodge?

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Not during recovery frames of an attack that hit a shield.
Whenever you dash attack you have to aware if he's about to shield or not. That's why I recommend you to not use dash attack too often.
And since you are a villager main, use projectile like your loid rocket to approach (Don't ride on the loid rocket). He will either shield or side dodge, that's when you should go and grab him or attack him.

Last edited:

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
Whenever you dash attack you have to aware if he's about to shield or not. That's why I recommend you to not use dash attack too often.
And since you are a villager main, use projectile like your loid rocket to approach (Don't ride on the loid rocket). He will either shield or side dodge, that's when you should go and grab him or attack him.
Oh yeah, no, I know Villager like the back of my hand. It's just shield grabbing in its entirety.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I have to disagree with you about shield grabbing being annoying. It is obviously never fun to be on the wrong end of a shield grab, but imagine how annoying pressure based characters like Fox would be if they could just attack it freely without any risk whatsoever. With that said, while shields are strong in this game, they aren't unbeatable. Learn what tactics your character has for dealing with shields safely (as a Ryu player, for example, Shakunatsu Hadouken and Strong Forward Tilt are my main methods of dealing with shield).

Last edited:
Top Bottom