• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Canceling Running.

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
Okay so I haven't seen many people talking about this and I've seen even less people use it. When you dash with a character and try to do anything other than jump there's a small timeframe where you can't do anything.

However, if when you dash you continue to hold forward you can shield much, much quicker than if you weren't holding forward. Coupled with the very small shield drop time you can effectively use it to go neutral out of a dash. You won't see out with Mario as much, but you can definitely see it with MegaMan, Link, Pikachu and Villager.

I'm going to try uploading a gif of the video I just made a little later to better show what it looks like. Practice in the meantime.

Edit: the gif. The first part shows what happens if you try to normally cancel the dash with shield and the latter part shows what happens when you hold forward when you shield after a dash.

http://www.gfycat.com/TautEnchantingIndusriverdolphin#

Also of note, you can naturally dash cancel into up smash. Not sure if known, but useful.

Last edited:

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
You can also pivot, turning around and immediately using a side smash or a side tilt (Or if you so desire an up smash as I discovered myself, I can imagine that being useful for Ganondorf), the only thing pivoting doesn't account for is forward side smash, forward tilt, and dtilt+dsmash (Potentially utilt too, hard to test with tap-jump). I imagine the only thing shield-dashing would be useful is to get a down smash down ASAP, or perhaps a forward side smash. I dunno. Oh, neutral A too.
I'd say it's more worth it to pivot if you can, it's far faster and acts immediately.

Last edited:

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
You can also pivot, turning around and immediately using a side smash or a side tilt (Or if you so desire an up smash as I discovered myself, I can imagine that being useful for Ganondorf), the only thing pivoting doesn't account for is forward side smash, forward tilt, and dtilt+dsmash (Potentially utilt too, hard to test with tap-jump). I imagine the only thing shield-dashing would be useful is to get a down smash down ASAP, or perhaps a forward side smash. I dunno.
It's more worth it to pivot if you can, it's far faster and acts immediately.
You can forward tilt, down tilt, forward smash and all from this. Anything you can do from shield drop you could do as a result of this.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
This was a tech in Brawl. Of course not many people used it. Still thanks for sharing.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
This was a tech in Brawl. Of course not many people used it. Still thanks for sharing.
um lots of people used it if your talking about competitive brawl.

Why does warrant its own thread in this section of the forum. EVERYONE knows this is in. Its in every smash game............You cancel a dash with your shield. Yall need to go to tournaments...........

Raijinken

Smash Master
um lots of people used it if your talking about competitive brawl.

Why does warrant its own thread in this section of the forum. EVERYONE knows this is in. Its in every smash game............You cancel a dash with your shield. Yall need to go to tournaments...........
Not everyone does or can, and it's apparently not important enough for commentators to ever really mention it. No harm done in letting boardgoers know that it returns, with a gif showing it in action.

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I mostly ignored brawl when I started getting competitive, so I didn't know it was a thing, nor did I ever see it used in Sm4sh vids. It's really good in this game with the ridiculous shield drop and can be used as a ghetto dash dance. Not sure why it ain't more popular

ferioku

Smash Ace
Not everyone does or can, and it's apparently not important enough for commentators to ever really mention it. No harm done in letting boardgoers know that it returns, with a gif showing it in action.
Actually it's very useful in this game. It's a good positioning AT and even gives you a mini slide. I've seen many people such as Zero and D1 use it. They say it's like wave dashing in a sense that it's good for positioning.

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
Actually it's very useful in this game. It's a good positioning AT and even gives you a mini slide. I've seen many people such as Zero and D1 use it. They say it's like wave dashing in a sense that it's good for positioning.
Oh it was actually used? I haven't seen that. But yeah it's like a bootleg wavedash.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Oh it was actually used? I haven't seen that. But yeah it's like a bootleg wavedash.
I'm seeing a lot of people using it, it seems like a pretty good AT from what i'm seeing and it even helps with things like shield grabbing. The only problem I can see from it, is it leaves you vulnerable to grabs, and since shield breaking/ pressuring is a thing in smash 4, you have to use it wisely. I feel sorry for Jigglypuff mains though =/

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I'm seeing a lot of people using it, it seems like a pretty good AT from what i'm seeing and it even helps with things like shield grabbing. The only problem I can see from it, is it leaves you vulnerable to grabs, and since shield breaking/ pressuring is a thing in smash 4, you have to use it wisely. I feel sorry for Jigglypuff mains though =/
Jiggs mains don't really need this anyway.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
True say, but overall i still feel sorry for Jiggs main's mainly because of how easy it is to break shield.
Yeah that's true but I don't think it's that big of an issue. Jiggs doesn't want to be in a position to shield anyway, while her Pound does like 75% shield damage and her Rest is buffed so the opponent needs to be scared too.

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace
Yeah that's true but I don't think it's that big of an issue. Jiggs doesn't want to be in a position to shield anyway, while her Pound does like 75% shield damage and her Rest is buffed so the opponent needs to be scared too.
True.

Raijinken

Smash Master
No doubt, I was just saying that it's good to make threads for "small" things like this that kinda get skipped over by commentators. Even if a player subconsciously knows "I can shield while running", having something show them "And this is what happens if I screw it up" is good. That's the answer to "Why does this warrant its own thread" when "EVERYONE knows this is in."

Top Bottom