• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

shiek's chain

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
1. why is the tether grab no longer available to shiek? I know project M wants to keep her as melee, but the tether grab didn't ruin any of her combos, nor did it ruin her game.

2. Why have her chain at all? I never see competitive players use her side B at all. Why not have her side b be a dart (when on ground) be thrown in an upward diagonal trajectory and a horizontal trajectory when in the air? It could improve her game and make her stronger as a usable character.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Side B for recovery would be really damn good for her. She needs some weaknesses: her recovery is one of the more notable ones

Sheik is already a top 5 (or arguably top 5) character, she doesn't need help at all

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
If it helps with anything, I've felt it helped with edge guarding cfalcon in melee, but I haven't really tried in this. The tether would make her have too many recovery options, which are already solid because she's invincible during up b. I like project m shiek at the moment. No buffs and no nerfs need to be implemented.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
Why not replace the chain with poison powder;
A short range burst attack that cannot kill, or be used for recovery.
Poison powder has low knock back and hit stun but puts a flower on the opponent's head.
You should also be able to angle it (like Mario's F-smash), this can replace gimping options of the chain.
Shiek is all about the combo game and i feel that adding this will give her a good mix up option without making her unfair.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Chain has the ability to beat crouch canceling (a primary Sheik weakness) on like a Peach dsmash level. Hold down while deploying the chain then shift the control stick in a 2323 or 1212 fashion (FGC notation, imagine a keyboard number pad). It's also useful on the ledge to gimp low recoveries like spacies and Falcon.

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
I think it's for the best that we don't have a tether it's a little much

&

I also never use my chain i really need to find a way to incorporate it

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
Chain has the ability to beat crouch canceling (a primary Sheik weakness) on like a Peach dsmash level. Hold down while deploying the chain then shift the control stick in a 2323 or 1212 fashion (FGC notation, imagine a keyboard number pad). It's also useful on the ledge to gimp low recoveries like spacies and Falcon.
In most cases a grab would be much better for beating crouch canceling, the time it take for the whip to come out is just too long. I know shiek is a good character that has an established metagame from melee,
but why not give her something that people can actually use?

Why wouldn't my idea of poison powder work for shiek?

PS: while i am asking about new moves for shiek I must say that mini sword she has is begging to become a crawl tilt!

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
In most cases a grab would be much better for beating crouch canceling, the time it take for the whip to come out is just too long. I know shiek is a good character that has an established metagame from melee,
but why not give her something that people can actually use?

Why wouldn't my idea of poison powder work for shiek?

PS: while i am asking about new moves for shiek I must say that mini sword she has is begging to become a crawl tilt![/quote
I respect your creative thinking with the poisonpowder idea, but I dont really think she needs it. It sounds as if it would be slightly unfair, and maybe even be as useless as the chain since she would need to be at close range to use it, where other attacks might be more effective to use. She is in need of a slight buff though, to make her on par with melee since her grabs were nerfed. It would be cool if she did get a crawl tilt though, maybe something that isnt as easily crouched as her other attacks.

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
I like the poision powder idea.

I think it would be cool.

But that's just me.

Obskore

Smash Ace
does anyone have framedata for the CJG? i nailed it a few times, but nothing consistently
if anyone can upload a GIF of her jump animation highlighting the frame window, it'd be very much appreciated

~@~Tilde~@~

Smash Cadet
Are there any vids of this in actions?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
does anyone have framedata for the CJG? i nailed it a few times, but nothing consistently
if anyone can upload a GIF of her jump animation highlighting the frame window, it'd be very much appreciated
It was never studied all that extensively, you probably ought to stick to trial and error.

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
the current chain is bull**** im gonna put that out there. she has a ton of better edgeguarding options so i really hate hearing that "you can edgeguard with it" argument. id be totally fine if they revamped the move or scrapped it for something people want to use, something that doesnt get outclassed by better options. imagine if it could stun, or do fire or poison damage like ^ said up there. make people want to use sheiks chain pmbr.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
A few nice change possibilities imho:
- Make the CJG more accessible (similar to what you did to super wavedashing)
- Tipper chain sets up for a guaranteed low-percent followup (like a needle)
- When you get a hit with the chain, pressing shield will instantly (or after a very short time) cancel the animation
Just a few thoughts

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I don't have the data, but it's a 1 frame window at the very peak of a short hop.

I always thought it would be cool if the very tip of her chain could KO at maybe, later %s, or that it had some sort of speed based KB. Where the faster you whip it, the more KB it deals. (If possible.)

Shrug

Smash Cadet
It seems like the chain might be useful if it didn't take so darn long for Sheik to pull it back when you let go of B. Now, Sheik seems perfectly fine as she is, but if we're talking about changing the chain, I'd say reducing the end lag on the move might help.

Top Bottom