• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHELLSHIFTING AND HYDROPLANING: now with TUTORIAL VID!!!!!

Card

Smash Lord
Hydroplaning it is! I think thats an awesome term. So awesome that P. Trainer gets a sick technique like this. Extremely nice find Tob!

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle seems to be so much fun to play with, i still dont know how the stamina thing about PT works, but Squirtle just seems to be really versatile and fun.

epi_adict

Smash Rookie
Squirtle seems to be so much fun to play with, i still dont know how the stamina thing about PT works, but Squirtle just seems to be really versatile and fun.
There is a pretty good explanation in one of the stickied faqs but a quick summary from what I understand is...
Each pokemon has 2 minutes out before he gets fatigued, when you become fatigued your damage and knock back is reduced but everything else (i.e. speed, shielding, etc. ) remains the same. Using an attack that connects takes a second off of your time before fatigued. To fix fatigue you use another pokemon. 1 sec of bench time= 2 sec of fighting. So your squirtle gets fatigued you play as ivy for 1 min and can send squirtle back out at full strength. Hope I got all of this right.

epi_adict

Smash Rookie
Doesn't have to connect....

Oh... maybe I should have specified that >_>
Oh ok thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't figure out if it did or not and with diminishing returns only counting for attacks that connect I just decided to assume that model.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
i just was able to see the tutorial of the move... gosh that shellslide+hydroplanned smash looks to be very effective and opnes up some good mindgames also.

veyr nice find indeed.

btw i also suggest to change the name from the title of the topic to hydroplane instead of "SWD" .

Xenophobe

Smash Rookie
This tread made me add pokemon trainer to my sig, until now I was considering it boy now its for sure

squiser

Smash Apprentice
Ahahaha brilliant stuff man. Very nice find - only a matter of time before one of us developed shellshifting to a level like this. Vid is great too, and very informative...it's definitely something I"ll try tomorrow =x

epi_adict

Smash Rookie
One thing, can we confirm this is still do able when fatigued? I know the run animation for the pokemon changes so is it possible that the timing would change slightly or make it unusable (or ironically possibly improve it cutting down the dash animation or something). Just a thought that would come into play in more competitive scenes.

Yumil

Smash Cadet
This is my first post ever, and it is going to be a doozy(I've been a long time lurker). I think I've figured out why hydroplaning works. Here's the back story:
I decided I was going to practice it earlier today. I started trying and could not ever get it to work. I even went and made it 1/4 time and tried and tried again. I could not get it to work period. So anywho, after work I decided to try again and I could do it. I wondered why and exited training mode noticing I had not set my name this time. This means my control set up had the up jump when I was able to do it(and didnt when I couldnt). I decided to turn on my name and go back and try it again. Still couldnt do it, but when I jumped a split second before I USmashed, it worked.

What I think is going on is that the turn around can be jumped canceled, but does not jump right away(it tends to do it after the animation most of the time). I dont know why, but it keeps your momentum for that much longer when you jump cancel it into a move. What this may mean is that we can use more than just the USmash for hydroplaning, but I have yet to get any other moves working.

Another thing I've noticed is that it slides best while you are in your shell just after you reach back to dash speed. Getting out of the shell and doing it doesnt slide you very far. Its definitely right in the middle of the animation that it is best.

Hopefully someone can take the jump idea and run with it and we'll make this techinique better than it is now:)

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
well... now to get owned by my squirtle friends

but good find and vid and demonstration altogether

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
This is my first post ever, and it is going to be a doozy(I've been a long time lurker). I think I've figured out why hydroplaning works. Here's the back story:
I decided I was going to practice it earlier today. I started trying and could not ever get it to work. I even went and made it 1/4 time and tried and tried again. I could not get it to work period. So anywho, after work I decided to try again and I could do it. I wondered why and exited training mode noticing I had not set my name this time. This means my control set up had the up jump when I was able to do it(and didnt when I couldnt). I decided to turn on my name and go back and try it again. Still couldnt do it, but when I jumped a split second before I USmashed, it worked.

What I think is going on is that the turn around can be jumped canceled, but does not jump right away(it tends to do it after the animation most of the time). I dont know why, but it keeps your momentum for that much longer when you jump cancel it into a move. What this may mean is that we can use more than just the USmash for hydroplaning, but I have yet to get any other moves working.

Another thing I've noticed is that it slides best while you are in your shell just after you reach back to dash speed. Getting out of the shell and doing it doesnt slide you very far. Its definitely right in the middle of the animation that it is best.

Hopefully someone can take the jump idea and run with it and we'll make this techinique better than it is now:)

i dont think you can jump cancel any move but Usmash sadly...
but what about grab? doesnt that still work?
and would you grab and then proceed sliding? that way you could grab->slide->do any move

can someone try?

Yumil

Smash Cadet
You are right about it only canceling into the USMash. I forgot that they made jump do that so that you could USmash with tilt jump on. Well, would of been fun to do all the other moves during the slide. Meh, maybe theres another way to cancel it?

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Nothing feels better than to sky rocket kill people with an hydroplaned up smash with squirtle!!.

just wanted to take that out of my chest :D:D:D:D:D

Mokumo

Smash Ace
Run towards the edge of a platform and shellshift right when you get to the edge. Squirtle stays there, frozen, in his shell stuck to the edge. He can jump right out of it, or it will eventually cancel. I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but I think it's pretty interesting.

Withdraw?

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
Has anyone played around with Hydroplaning much? I've gotten it to about 100% consistency and it is actually very useful in matches. Chillin says he's been finding good uses for it also. What about the rest of you guys?

vericz

Smash Champion
Has anyone played around with Hydroplaning much? I've gotten it to about 100% consistency and it is actually very useful in matches. Chillin says he's been finding good uses for it also. What about the rest of you guys?
I'm usin it and its great. theres so much variety with shellshifting as well

Card

Smash Lord
Hydroplaning has its uses, but I can't say that I find it very useful. Squirtle's U-Smash can be punished fairly easily if blocked, which makes me hesitant to use it as often as I'd like (Atleast versus a MetaKnight... I end up eating a free D-Smash). I sort of wish I could cancel the charging of the U-Smash into a Grab.... that would be just epic :laugh:

I find shell shifting infinitely more useful than Hydroplaning though. Shell shift gives Squirtle's U-tilt so much sliding horizontal distance, it's a little crazy at times. Especially since U-Tilt is such an amazing combo starter and damage racking move to boot. It pretty much makes an immobile vertical ground attack have a ton of horizontal reach.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
i get at least one kill daily with hydroplanning.

But like someone said... is difficult to use with proyectile spammers and it must be used carefully overall.... because if you faill youll be in some trouble.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Interesting, I was just practicing these techniques for the first time today, having not known about them.

As I worked on Hydroplaning the upsmash, I accidentally clicked the z button, and I did a what was basically a hydroplaned-grab, which went from one end of Final destination to about the middle, or just a bit past.

Unfortunately because it was an accident, I'm not sure if I somehow cancelled the upsmash into the grab, or if it was the z button alone that did it.

I haven't been able to reproduce the effect yet, but I also haven't put more than 45 minutes into practicing hydroplaning.

I'll report back if/when I can figure out how I did this, I encourage you all to experiment with it!

slave1

Smash Lord
I dont think anyone checks this far back but hydroplaining does not work if you have the tap to jump off. if it does i havent found the timing.. if you have it on it works almost every time

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I dont think anyone checks this far back but hydroplaining does not work if you have the tap to jump off. if it does i havent found the timing.. if you have it on it works almost every time
Yes you can.

I always have tap jump off and I've never had an issue doing this with the c-stick.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol i was just lumping all of this into "squirtledashing" and ****it i'm going to continue to use it

squirtle is ****ing amazing

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Yes you can.

I always have tap jump off and I've never had an issue doing this with the c-stick.
Me too, I always do it with tap jump off, never had an issue.

I've gotten a lot more proficient with Hydroplaning, I was just messing around on the sandbag before wifi, and I'm pretty sure I got extra distance and momentum on a grab.

I've also managed to do sliding backwards pivot grabs.

There's definitely more to be discovered with this technique.

iNiGhTmAr3

Smash Apprentice
Hydroplaning has its uses, but I can't say that I find it very useful. Squirtle's U-Smash can be punished fairly easily if blocked, which makes me hesitant to use it as often as I'd like (Atleast versus a MetaKnight... I end up eating a free D-Smash). I sort of wish I could cancel the charging of the U-Smash into a Grab.... that would be just epic :laugh:

I find shell shifting infinitely more useful than Hydroplaning though. Shell shift gives Squirtle's U-tilt so much sliding horizontal distance, it's a little crazy at times. Especially since U-Tilt is such an amazing combo starter and damage racking move to boot. It pretty much makes an immobile vertical ground attack have a ton of horizontal reach.
Yeah I agree with this statement. I haven't found hydroplaning that useful so far, but shell shifting has been working very well for me. It is a good mind game to use on opponents :)

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
I've played around with both against some of my newer friends and, so far, can only connect shell shifting to grabs, jabs, and a few f-tilts. I just can't seem to connect with U-Tilt. Hydroplanning has worked quite well, however.

As I worked on Hydroplaning the upsmash, I accidentally clicked the z button, and I did a what was basically a hydroplaned-grab, which went from one end of Final destination to about the middle, or just a bit past.
Seems interesting; I'll play with it today.

wakka444

Smash Ace
alright i was playing with my bud paranormalsin just now on wifi and he went into the same movement as the super usmash but did a fsmash instead, anyone else have this happen?

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
nice topic. This must have taken a lot of work to find, but it gives squirtle that much more potential :chuckle:
I will be trying this out soon. It is very similar to moonwalking...

showdownkiller

Smash Cadet
alright i was playing with my bud paranormalsin just now on wifi and he went into the same movement as the super usmash but did a fsmash instead, anyone else have this happen?
He sent me a video where he demonstrated the hyrdoplaned fsmash, but I can't get it off of my Wii. I'll send it to someone else who can, though. I was just talking to him about it and he said he found it while trying to use the fsmash for mindgames. To quote:

"The timing is really weird"

edit: I think this topic needs a sticky.

Top Bottom