• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik vs. Captain Falcon's/Ganondorf's Up+B

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet
Hey Everybody,

I've been practicing with Sheik against bots (yesterday I could barely fight Lvl 4s, now I'm winning consistently vs. Lvl 8s), and I've been having a lot of frustration with CF and Ganon, in particular their Up+B, the weird homing-magnet-hug-explosion move. Half of the times I approach, in the air or on the ground, they just use that move - sometimes two or three times in a row when I try to recover the wrong way - and it seems to auto-attach to me and deal annoying amounts of damage.

When I play with my friends (keep in mind that I'm mostly a casual smasher, though recently I've been practicing a lot more seriously), they don't use that move nearly as often, and I don't think they could time it as perfectly anyways, but I'd still like to know what the best method of avoiding getting hit by that move is.

Also: I don't really know much about the skill-level of this community over all, but I don't want to hear any crap about how I suck because I can't 4-stock lvl 9 bots. Their freaking timing is literally perfect. Not even M2K is that spot-on 100% of the time. He's not actually a computer. :p

Anyways, thanks to anyone who helps out. I appreciate it.

See Biscuit

Smash Rookie
I'm not at my GameCube so I can't check priority, but I would guess that nair or dair might be able to cancel it out. Either that or try to air dodge out of the way. I'll try and check when I can. But I wouldn't advise basing skill on your ability to four stock level 9s. They read your move before the frames begin, and therefore they have better timing than humanly possible.

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet
I'm not at my GameCube so I can't check priority, but I would guess that nair or dair might be able to cancel it out. Either that or try to air dodge out of the way. I'll try and check when I can.
Thanks! A well-timed nair will do it, but it's difficult to react that fast. The damn move looks a lot like a normal jump, and then suddenly you're in a friendly bear-hug of destruction.

But I wouldn't advise basing skill on your ability to four stock level 9s. They read your move before the frames begin, and therefore they have better timing than humanly possible.
Yeah, I was exaggerating that a bit, but I've seen some guys get called noobs and such for asking "dumb" questions. I'm brand new here, so I don't know how good people are in general relative to me. I'm guessing I'm pretty low in the ranks, but I'm not sure.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

The purple part of the image is where the grab hitbox on the up-B is located.

Aim at their heads when they're going up, or wait until they begin spinning (there's nothing to get hit by once they reach the top of their up-B) and then hit them. Those moves have a lot of endlag too if they land onstage with them, so you can use that too.

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet
That is certainly helpful. I'm finding that if I just shield and dodge more often when I approach I can avoid a far larger percentage of them. This also helps for grabbing when they miss. Thanks for the tips!

KP17

Banned via Administration
you can move out of the way after fthrow and before sideb. for a casual player i recommend immediately rolling behind them. if you work on your timing you can hit falcon out of side b with ftilt or dtilt (or dsmash, but I believe it is a tad slower than the tilts). if you are at a high enough percent where fthrow will knock you down, work on teching away.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Within 1/3 of a second before touching a surface, press R or L (all the way down) to tech. You can't tech 2/3s of a second after pressing R or L this way though, so if you mash then you won't get it.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I believe that you can't input tech while in hitlag, but pressing L/R will still make you miss the tech. This makes teching ganon's up b a bit harder, as it puts you in hitlag before he throws you. Somebody please correct me if im wrong.

WHA?

Smash Ace
Quick question

is falcons up throw to knee ever on sheik guaranteed? if so what percents, if not whats the DI options

Top Bottom