• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Sheik Video Discussion Thread. 155 Videos!

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio

Had an offline session with my friend today, he only uses heavier strong characters like DDD and DK. I am never able to beat him. managed to get one match recorded. I think I am a bit too...mindless? Just wondered on some thoughts, in case there is something I am missing which will help me out.
I'll critique it when im off work.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio

Had an offline session with my friend today, he only uses heavier strong characters like DDD and DK. I am never able to beat him. managed to get one match recorded. I think I am a bit too...mindless? Just wondered on some thoughts, in case there is something I am missing which will help me out.
You understand sheiks kit and clearly know how to use her when it comes to combos. However thats as far as you tend to go when it comes to her. You hardly used needles in the match up which is what gives sheik an edge over a lot of characters. She forces them to come to her. Instead you were doing that. Also the majority of times you got grabbed it was from you attack his shield while in the air. Let me put it in a better context. You know when you see a falcon punch coming from a mile awhile? It has a lot of start up and the like? Well every time you jumped close to him in the air it was advertising your moves way too much. Quite literally it started to become a falcon punch just with less glory. What I like to do when that happens to often is jump at them like you're going to attack but dont. Just fast fall, land, and grab. it works a lot since they'll be conditioned to press that grab button as soon as their shield is hit, but that wont happen.

Respect characters aerials while challenging them in the air. Dk has a good back air so charging right at him from behind while he's falling is a no no. Instead bait it out and act like you're going to attack with a short hop. If he does the move by mistake you earned yourself a free attack. Obviously you can bully Dk all you wanted from under and in front of him as he's falling since his fair and dair arent that great. His nair is...debatable. When your opponent starts to realize under what conditions they lose in they'll start to air dodge. Which again should be baited out to rack up more percent.

Its all about bullying your opponent in situations you can win in, and tricking them in ones you cant. That's sheiks game. ...that and annoying people with needles and bouncing fish. Good combos though, but combos wont be friendly to you when its time to kill.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace

You have some nice strings and dk is easy juggle. Just learn how to continue with that punish and learn to kill. I noticed when you put on the pressure DK became very defensive and just kept grabbing out of shield when you miss spaced your fair or nair. Sheik is known for baits and frame traps, so if you can utilize, empty short hopping and baiting that grab , so you can punish then the game would be more your favor. I noticed you didn't grab at all, it's a mix up in the game and should be used as such. Sheiks grab to fthrow to fair fair , to w/e is probably sheiks best way to rack up damage in this game. More needles to connect moves are good to use as well. When you're above an opponent and can't put out an attack because they are on cool down, throw some down airs they can be used to juggle to.

Last edited:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i-7sRGct9w Any Advice? (Note that this is the 3DS Version)
For future reference, note that i get side tracked very easily. Alright so lets get into it.

I honestly feel as if you're sheik is way too grounded. I didnt really see many aerials on your end and thats one of the things that makes sheik amazing. She has one of the fast forward airs in the game and you get a lot of follow ups on it. I would try ti implement short hopping in your game more. And just like I mentioned in my last critique dont chase characters down when they're are falling if they clearly have a better retaliation. You running up straight at ike and letting him back air you is what cost you the match. Take note of which aerials can be challenged, and which need to be respected....and when i mean respect i really mean tricking them to use it at the wrong time and punishing that.

work on your off stage game more. ike doesnt have that great of a recovery so you can gimp him easier than most characters as he can only go straight up, or straight forward. and remember you have a projectile, ike doesnt. Abuse that as much as you can without getting predictable. Sheik does have blind spots on her needles that if shielded, she can get punished. understand when too close is too close and toss those needles when you know they're free, like when your opponent is about to land.

Practice your aerials more and abuse what you have over your opponent. Sheiks frame data pretty much gives her an edge on any character, and you're trading that perk for not being able to kill so well.

Also be careful when charging smash attacks. when you do, you become lighter, and you will go flying if you get hit. Ikes nair almost killed while charging that usmash.

Cruecial

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cruecial
Hey guys, I would love a critique on what I could be doing better. I'm pretty terrible with Sheik but I'm spending a few hours a day playing her vs lvl 9's. This match is against a friend pocket toon link. I really, really SHOULD NOT be losing like this against a character he has never really played before. I feel like my time would be better spent if I had a solid look at what I should be practicing to better improve my gameplay for competitive smash.

Also, sorry for the poor quality. I'll be getting a proper recorder for the wii u this month but for now the best I can do is recording from the wii u gamepad.

Last edited:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Hey guys, I would love a critique on what I could be doing better. I'm pretty terrible with Sheik but I'm spending a few hours a day playing her vs lvl 9's. This match is against a friend pocket toon link. I really, really SHOULD NOT be losing like this against a character he has never really played before. I feel like my time would be better spent if I had a solid look at what I should be practicing to better improve my gameplay for competitive smash.

Also, sorry for the poor quality. I'll be getting a proper recorder for the wii u this month but for now the best I can do is recording from the wii u gamepad.

I really cant give you a video critique, other than that you just dont know how to fully utilize sheik to her potential just yet. Also you shouldn't practice against level 9 cpu, they see frame by frame and can force bad habits on you for not being inhumanely frame perfect. What I can do is give you a bucket list of things to check off that I didnt see a lot of in your video. I'll just list these in no particular order: short hop aerials, air dodge baiting, short hop neutral air out of shield, keeping the opponent in a bad position close to the edge while also not losing your favorable position, down tilting against landing opponents who are used to attacking before they hit the ground, edge bounce bouncing fish, vanish glide, needle pivot. Lastly, learn to perfect shield projectiles instead of jumping over, they are are really easy to block when you get used to running and shielding. She has good shield options, half the time you WANT them to hit your shield so you have frame advantage, and her speed makes it possible. I could list a whole book, but just practice these for now.

Cruecial

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cruecial
Hey @ Absol Absol Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice. I'm going to work on the AT's you listed as well as getting more comfortable shielding projectiles rather than jumping over them. I currently shield and then try to run but they're often tossing out so many projectiles that I end up at almost a standstill, is this due to not getting the perfect shield and the lag involves with the shield dropping?

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
yes thats exactly it. if you get well seasoned in perfectly timing projectiles you basically pinball right through them.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Played a set on stream against LoF NAKAT. Feedback would be great. :4sheik:vs. :4ness::4villager::4fox:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Let me catch up on these final philosophy essays I have and I'll make sure to critique you three as well as anyone else.

Danimal197

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I watched your video COBBS. I really like, conceptually, what you've got going on with the commentating friendlies online. You mentioned fsmash being hard to punish, but in reality you can grab or jab after shielding the first hit, or you can waveneedle into your own fsmash. It is really not safe to smash in shiek dittos unless you've got a solid punish lined up. Throwing out random hard reads is pretty risky imo. Cool video idea though for sure!

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Hey, I watched your video COBBS. I really like, conceptually, what you've got going on with the commentating friendlies online. You mentioned fsmash being hard to punish, but in reality you can grab or jab after shielding the first hit, or you can waveneedle into your own fsmash. It is really not safe to smash in shiek dittos unless you've got a solid punish lined up. Throwing out random hard reads is pretty risky imo. Cool video idea though for sure!
Thanks. Yeah fsmash isn't hard to punish. My commentary in some instances is meant to be constructive rather than approving. :p
It's a lingering-ish hitbox that can throw off the rest of the vibe throughout a Sheik v Sheik ditto. It's easy to catch sheiks in them as they're busy hopping around tossing out low priority aerials. It's not a high skill strategy but understandable when you see it used. Sheik has a hard time killing ,especially versus herself as she's difficult to gimp, so frustration or 'alternate strategies' as I like to call them can bloom throughout the course of a match and result in unconventional play. But players are still learning, as well, and it's my job to help them. :)
Thanks for the kind words, cool to know others are enjoying the videos.

Last edited:

Danimal197

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. Yeah fsmash isn't hard to punish. My commentary in some instances is meant to be constructive rather than approving. :p
It's a lingering-ish hitbox that can throw off the rest of the vibe throughout a Sheik v Sheik ditto. It's easy to catch sheiks in them as they're busy hopping around tossing out low priority aerials. It's not a high skill strategy but understandable when you see it used. Sheik has a hard time killing ,especially versus herself as she's difficult to gimp, so frustration or 'alternate strategies' as I like to call them can bloom throughout the course of a match and result in unconventional play. But players are still learning, as well, and it's my job to help them. :)
Thanks for the kind words, cool to know others are enjoying the videos.
I love the Shiek v Shiek MU. It is like art. So many mindgames. A lot of it comes down to conditioning your opponent and then doing a kill move when they're expecting something else. I like dthrow into uair conditioning, especially at low percents into dthrow, jump, bait the air dodge, doublejump uair to kill them. Always shff fair-ing an opponent when they land on a battlefield low platform is a great setup for eventually doing a sliding Usmash underneath them.

Conda

I love the Shiek v Shiek MU. It is like art. So many mindgames. A lot of it comes down to conditioning your opponent and then doing a kill move when they're expecting something else. I like dthrow into uair conditioning, especially at low percents into dthrow, jump, bait the air dodge, doublejump uair to kill them. Always shff fair-ing an opponent when they land on a battlefield low platform is a great setup for eventually doing a sliding Usmash underneath them.
Yeah, I feel like you don't see as many Up B kills in other matchups, but they're more frequent (rightfully so) in sheik mirror matches.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know of any videos of people using Sheik's grenade competitively and strategically?

Conda

Does anyone know of any videos of people using Sheik's grenade competitively and strategically?
Another Sheik v Sheik, some grenade use (more than usual) but I think the better player in this match was more conservative with grenade use. I'll definitely keep my eye out for grenade-toting sheikd.

Last edited:

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
My only advice is to not use them in matchups that have fast projectiles because you will just get shot out of it. I don't know of any good videos though.

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
Yay, finally uploaded it! Sparring session between @Virgman and me, just some Sheik dittos. Even tho I'd watch everything, if you don't have time I'd recommend match 2 and 4. Check description for further info.
Also, use chrome and 1080p and 60 FPS because its awesome. Have fun or so. Also, if you have any feedback feel free to write so, but keep in mind those were friendlies so we even tested a bit during the match... and phone calls...

lRasha

Smash Apprentice

This is what I mean by using Sheik's grenade competitively. It's not the best example, but his usage gives something to think about. At 2:40, his usage wasn't all that. At around 3:13, Denti might've used it because (after ZSS got knocked away by Bouncing Fish) ZSS might've wanted to rush back at Sheik. Denti couldve tried to punish ZSS's aggressive return by having a grenade explode at her.

I remember Denti not thinking highly of Burst Grenade, but maybe he's trying to find use of it.

Sidenote: I'm aware of Ledge nade and using Burst Grenade to edgeguard.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Played a set on stream against LoF NAKAT. Feedback would be great. :4sheik:vs. :4ness::4villager::4fox:

You really need to up your bait game more. You play sheik like Diddy kong in a way by assuming sheik has a lot of true combos. The big secret is that sheiks combo game rests entirely around baiting your opponent to do something wrong and continue the string. With sheiks speed and her amazing OoS options you should be praying that they attack your powershield so you can get a lot of hits in. Also despite how hard it may be to kill with sheik you should make it just as hard for your opponent to kill your with your speed and bait game as mentioned before. Just pretend the percent isnt even there half of the time and focus entirely on situations where you can get hits while they cant hit you. Playing Metaknight for a little bit may give you some good practice as he is a strict bait character. He has almost no approach options and entirely game is based around getting one read in and never giving momentum back to your opponent. Sheik does this in short bursts while not being entirely option less at neutral positioning. You have to be a trickster with Sheik and make every kill or string creative because as soon as you start to look like a systematic sheik, you start to fall apart. A lot of sheiks have this problem. Dont become systematic, become fluent.

Also nice tipper usmash on villager. I always go wide eye when anyone lands it.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
You really need to up your bait game more. You play sheik like Diddy kong in a way by assuming sheik has a lot of true combos. The big secret is that sheiks combo game rests entirely around baiting your opponent to do something wrong and continue the string. With sheiks speed and her amazing OoS options you should be praying that they attack your powershield so you can get a lot of hits in. Also despite how hard it may be to kill with sheik you should make it just as hard for your opponent to kill your with your speed and bait game as mentioned before. Just pretend the percent isnt even there half of the time and focus entirely on situations where you can get hits while they cant hit you. Playing Metaknight for a little bit may give you some good practice as he is a strict bait character. He has almost no approach options and entirely game is based around getting one read in and never giving momentum back to your opponent. Sheik does this in short bursts while not being entirely option less at neutral positioning. You have to be a trickster with Sheik and make every kill or string creative because as soon as you start to look like a systematic sheik, you start to fall apart. A lot of sheiks have this problem. Dont become systematic, become fluent.

Also nice tipper usmash on villager. I always go wide eye when anyone lands it.
I never thought about my Sheik game this way! Thanks so much!

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio

After lose 3 or 4 games, i won one !
any tips?
Great stuff man. The only tips I can give you are to use Tomahawks more simply because it would mix up your Fair game well, use Nair to hit back gordos, make use you bf again as soon as you land a hit to cancel lag, and to make me smile....use the Fish Blimp

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Yay, finally uploaded it! Sparring session between @Virgman and me, just some Sheik dittos. Even tho I'd watch everything, if you don't have time I'd recommend match 2 and 4. Check description for further info.
Also, use chrome and 1080p and 60 FPS because its awesome. Have fun or so. Also, if you have any feedback feel free to write so, but keep in mind those were friendlies so we even tested a bit during the match... and phone calls...
I enjoyed these matches a lot, as well as the music. I'm going to assume you leave the C stick to smash instead of attack (if not then i assumed wrong). The only feedback I can give you is a suggestion, but I really dont have much advice since your sheik is very solid on anticipation. My suggestion is at least trying out your controls with your Z being jump and c stick being attack. Your short hop options come out much quicker and you can fast fall even faster with this set up. Its good for the offensive side, but I still keep Y and A as jump and attack if i need to be defensive with a Nair OoS. Anyway try that control scheme out at least because it would increase the speed of your attacks while also getting rid of the buggy c stick momentum. Plus a tilt stick OoS and an instant dtilt is nice to have too.

Last edited:

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
I enjoyed these matches a lot, as well as the music. I'm going to assume you leave the C stick to smash instead of attack (if not then i assumed wrong). The only feedback I can give you is a suggestion, but I really dont have much advice since your sheik is very solid on anticipation. My suggestion is at least trying out your controls with your Z being jump and c stick being attack. Your short hop options come out much quicker and you can fast fall even faster with this set up. Its good for the offensive side, but I still keep Y and A as jump and attack if i need to be defensive with a Nair OoS. Anyway try that control scheme out at least because it would increase the speed of your attacks while also getting rid of the buggy c stick momentum. Plus a tilt stick OoS and an instant dtilt is nice to have too.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have mapped my stick to smash-stick... but I don't use it anyway (as of now). All reatreating as well as super stupid momentum aerials are done with A and control stick. And in addition, I'm unable to press the Z button actually. I have grab mapped to Y and X as well as L to jump. However, I'm still learning to SH always with L, so when I play against good people atm I don't use L to jump (cause I don't want to mess up). I use L to jump and R to shield cause back in PM I use R to shield and L to L-cancel&Wavedash, and since those to are impossible now I had the L button free. ...I think its time for some remapping and learing to do aerials with C-stick.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have mapped my stick to smash-stick... but I don't use it anyway (as of now). All reatreating as well as super stupid momentum aerials are done with A and control stick. And in addition, I'm unable to press the Z button actually. I have grab mapped to Y and X as well as L to jump. However, I'm still learning to SH always with L, so when I play against good people atm I don't use L to jump (cause I don't want to mess up). I use L to jump and R to shield cause back in PM I use R to shield and L to L-cancel&Wavedash, and since those to are impossible now I had the L button free. ...I think its time for some remapping and learing to do aerials with C-stick.
Ah I gave up on SH on L and R lol. Z just felt so easier for me. But yeah, do what you have to do. Just dont use the stick as your main course of attack. There are different... "modes" when you make the c stick into a tilt stick. I find myself going back in forth from C to A a lot. I use to over commit to C and those were dark days. But hell these are just controls, nothing at all about sheik lol.

Danimal197

Smash Apprentice
I keep having the frustrating experience of throwing out nairs while using the c-stick set to attack. I don't even know how thats possible. I can't even seem to replicate it by trying while looking at my controller. I don't know if maybe I'm fat fingering my A button, but even then I would usually end up doing a dair because I tend to fast fall my fairs/bairs. Z_Z

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
I keep having the frustrating experience of throwing out nairs while using the c-stick set to attack. I don't even know how thats possible. I can't even seem to replicate it by trying while looking at my controller. I don't know if maybe I'm fat fingering my A button, but even then I would usually end up doing a dair because I tend to fast fall my fairs/bairs. Z_Z
The X zone of the C stick are register as nairs. Its useful and self harming. Dont use it OoS, but use it as an offensive mix up between nair and fair

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Got 3rd in Memphis TN's first Sm4sh tournament. Overall, I had little to no problems, but my best friend Jester had Rosalina & Luma pocket ready specifically for me since Sheik wrecks Robin (his main) up close. I had to play so carefully in this matchup mainly because I had no clue how to fight this absurd *****...... Any ideas in beating her? I'm still having trouble deciding who to counterpick her with should Sheik fall short.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Got 3rd in Memphis TN's first Sm4sh tournament. Overall, I had little to no problems, but my best friend Jester had Rosalina & Luma pocket ready specifically for me since Sheik wrecks Robin (his main) up close. I had to play so carefully in this matchup mainly because I had no clue how to fight this absurd *****...... Any ideas in beating her? I'm still having trouble deciding who to counterpick her with should Sheik fall short.
Sheik actually does well in the MU. Your fair can easily knock luma off stage and that 13 second timer will slowly hurt them if you continuously do it. Not only that but when luma comes back it stays in place for a split second. Keep track of the clock of when you killed it so you can prepare to kill it again when it comes back. Edge pressure is her weakness since luma can constatnly be knocked off again. Dont be greedy and dont be quick to relinquish your good edge positioning. Just lay back and let them panic. While everyone hates being in that position, La Rosas hates it the most. Not only that but you can easily juggle rosalina because despite how good her aerials are she is very committed to them. Bait that Dair and send her back up. Needles still work well in this match up, dont think that luma sponges them reliably.

Also never go to battlefield or Halbard against her.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Duck Hunt and Lylat were working for me oddly. The shenanigans were more in my favor

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Diddy vs Sheik match I hosted

Added

I'm apologize but could you listen to a selfish request of mine? In the future could you title part of your youtube videos in the following format.

User name (Character) vs User name (Character)

It's a very small thing but I would really appreciate it.

Top Bottom