• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik vid. NEEDS EXPERT ADVICE :)

Santi

Smash Lord
It seems like the falco matchup is generally regarded as one of the more difficult matchups for Sheik.

I recently just recorded a friendly match against my friends very decent falco. I know my sheik is a little rusty, I've went back to marth and have been playing for a while to get a better matchup against these spacie.

Please watch and tell me what i can do better so that the the friggin bird doesnt **** me as hard and what i can do to make those @*^!#&$( lasers less effective.

I know that in this match i was a very luck s.o.b :) kekekek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2GJ1XoltAM

Drephen

Smash Master
dont be all KDJ crazylike when going off the ledge and doing a forward air. Either stay on the ledge and downsmash or get on the ledge and back air. Not fast enough to do that. Also stop jumping up and needling. Stay on the ground against falco, keep grabbing.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
I make it rain on dem hos....

Falco is my fav matchup. You don't need to go all KDJ crazy though. You ran off the ledge but weren't even controlled in doing it; you can do it in such a way that even if you fail, your Up B will still get you back.

It's easier to simply needle them and either dsmash them as they get back or get on the edge and nair/bair.

I always jump up and needle v Falco as my approach, so I'd like Drephen to explain why / how you stay on the ground v Falco.

My approach v Falco is to dance on platforms, needle, and try to get in one attack. Any grab, dash attack, or punch equals an opportunity for Sheik to do big damage. Sheik is also very good at following up v Falco, so make sure you get proficient at that.

When you're on the ground and he's in the air, you know he's coming down with a dair. I utilt him and you'll either trade hits or you'll beat him. Even if you trade hits, your stun is less than his, so you can utilt or ftilt him again and it's combo time. ftilt does have its use, though -- when you ftilt and they DI away, and Falco's pretty low to the ground, simply dash attack and start the ****. Dash attack is amazing v Falco.

I love to steal KDJ's usmash and use it to predict techs and **** the **** out of Falco. It's quite useful, so toy around with it.

Sheik can combo the hell out of Falco, so once you get into something that can lead into combos -- and, with Sheik, that's almost anything -- you have little margin of error and you need to use that time to rack up damage so you can edge guard him. utilts are my weapon of choice, since ftilt is easy to DI and it's not very good at low percentages, whilst utilt is incredible at low percentages.

Falco's combos are very easy to DI since he really can only do the same ones over and over -- the problem is those combos are ridiculously lame and gay, and if you miss a tech when he's finishing his combo, you're basically dead.

On platform stages, I utilt a lot -- especially on the stages where the utilt goes through the platform, like YS or FoD. On flatter stages I rely more on throws and dash attacks, since it's much harder for Falco to get out of your linked dash attacks and they can lead to usmashes to fairs to edge guards.

Get your own combos down, master your edge guarding -- remember, his fire doesn't burn you, so it should be super easy -- and DI his combos. That's Falco in a nut shell.

Santi

Smash Lord
wow thanks a alot guys.
yea i know the crazy kamikaze stuff off the edge bit me in the butt on one of those stocks.

ill try to stay on the ground and edgeguard from there.

WOW! i dint notice how lacking i was on those uptilts....

ill start to incorporate that a little..LOT...more in my game.

thanks guys
haha and ill try to keep it more simple drephen,thanks.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
Falco is probably my best Sheik matchup, so I'll offer some tips.

First, the other guys told you to stay on the ledge against Falco. I think that's a mistake. You messed up your second attempt because you just fell off into an f-air, but if you'd fallen into a double-jumped f-air, you would've hit him, and there would've been no way for him to recover. Be careful about it, but every chance you get to pressure Falco off the ledge and get the early gimp kill, don't hesitate. Falco's got the advantage over you when he's on the stage, so you'd better take the advantage off the stage. An experienced Falco won't try to recover in the trajectory of Sheik's needles, anyway. And when he catches on to the f-air off the ledge, he'll start trying to go straight up from below the ledge. That's when you wait a bit, then fall on him with an n-air, so you take the hit from the Firebird and get popped back up to the stage, but he dies. Then he'll start trying to hug the stage and recover sooner, at which point you should fall off the ledge with a b-air. Eventually he'll learn to tech it, at which point you should generally stop doing it, because he's usually beat you back to the ledge for an easy edgehog. But in tournaments, all these things are useful, because no one has time to adjust to your style completely.

Also, Drephen mentions staying on the ground. Definitely. A good Falco isn't going to get hit by your aerial needles during his approach; he'll space it such that, at best, you'll hit his laser. How do you stay on the ground against Falco? Pretty simple, actually. First, learn to powershield lasers. It's not hard, it's not unreliable, and even one powershield, as long as it looks intentional, can be enough to break a Falco's confidence in his approach and create openings when he hesitates. Just learn to feel when your powershield is going to work, so you can be ready to chase it. Most Falcos stop dead in their tracks for a while after they get hit with their own lasers.

Another thing, which is always important with Sheik, is spacing. Don't be afraid of the lasers; they aren't what kill you. It's keeping yourself immobile to try to not get hit by them which will get you killed. So instead, keep the match at mid range. Your attacks are faster and generally have a longer range. Jab > f-tilt, even on shields. Then get in closer, jab > up-tilt. The second hit often catches people off-guard. A very important idea is to wait for the Falco to get nervous and go for the laser at the mid range. That's where you just f-tilt him out of his short-hop, before the laser.

As for getting around the lasers, more tips:
Learn to short-hop over them and waveland in the direction they're traveling, and they'll never hit you. Duck under them, because most Falcos don't get them low enough to hit you, then wavedash backward between them (while still crouching) to get away from the approach. If there are platforms, wait for the approach, then run away, jump toward the platform, throw some reverse needles, and land on the platform. This is completely safe.

In general for the matchup, just make sure that, when Falco leaves the stage, he doesn't get back on. Otherwise, play it safe and generally more defensive than you would with other matches.

(I felt like giving an speech.)

Top Bottom