• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik F-tilt / Jab Cancel trouble with Marth

Flamingo777

Smash Apprentice
Recently one of my opponents has taken up Marth as a main, so during our matches I took the action that any fellow Sheik main would, dtilt -> ftilt lock to around 50 and from there try some needles, and Jab Cancel combos, but I cant seem to get a second f-tilt off nor follow up a jab cancel with anything because Marth's counter nullifies that, and so does the Dolphin Slash. :(

But the point is that I would like to know some strategies that maybe some fellow Sheik players have developed to counter Marth. As we all know, Sheik has a general disadvantage against Marth because of out-ranged and out-prioritized aerials that he posesses.

Despite my greivances against this Martha scum, I beat my friend most of the time on all stages excluding battlefield (Maybe because of more experience with my character). But all I've got is to use flurry of jabs and needles to a decent %:

1. Then try to pressure f-air off the screen far enough so he cant get back -> tether recovery -> use invincibility frames to gimp and escape stage spike.

2. Zelda swap after a knockback. (And don't tell me I should have started the match with her, this is under Sheik discussion ya know ;) .

3. Dominate with up+B :lick:

All help is much appreciated!

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
To be honest, I'm having a little trouble against Martha as well.

I always try to mix up all sorts of crap with f-tilts and jabs. If he counters a lot, just start using dash attacks for a bit. Then when he keeps thinking you are going to do dash attack, use a sliding, charged up smash. Works really well against Marth.

Villi

Smash Lord
Wow, if he's getting dolphin slash out on your first ftilt, that's pretty rough. Try to catch him off guard or just shield after ftilting and punish his dolphin slash. If you manage to catch him off guard, finish it off quickly with a nair so at least you're racking up decent damage.

Use more grabs and if he's wise to your usual follow-ups, switch it up.

Flamingo777

Smash Apprentice
Wow, if he's getting dolphin slash out on your first ftilt, that's pretty rough. Try to catch him off guard or just shield after ftilting and punish his dolphin slash. If you manage to catch him off guard, finish it off quickly with a nair so at least you're racking up decent damage.

Use more grabs and if he's wise to your usual follow-ups, switch it up.
Thank you guys, keep the strats coming =D. And I like the 1-2 f-tilt to shield -> nair, sexxxy!

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Apparently, he can't technically DS out of your ftilt. Ryoko mentioned this but to be honest I haven't mastered it yet.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's a very small threshold that I wouldn't risk for racking damage with but is too good to ignore for leading straight into usmash at KO %s with.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
It's a very small threshold that I wouldn't risk for racking damage with but is too good to ignore for leading straight into usmash at KO %s with.
I think I understand the concept now. Ftilt hits on frame 4 and DS hits on frame 5. Since DS has invincibility frames on frame 1 of the move, that is why Marth is able to escape it at times. The timing for it has to be precise but since ftilt comes out faster, it technically can't break him out.........am I wrong?

Villi

Smash Lord
It's usually not a problem for me to get two ftilts off and finish it off with a fair or nair then repeat and back off or do something else entirely. Finishing tilt combos off with fairs/nairs that lead into more tilts to aerials can get Marth into up smash tipper kill percents rapetastically quickly.

There's really no way someone can react to an ftilt with a dolphin slash outside of pure reflex as quickly as the first try. I feel safe doing two. If I see them reacting too quickly, I know that they're doing something I can easily exploit.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think I understand the concept now. Ftilt hits on frame 4 and DS hits on frame 5. Since DS has invincibility frames on frame 1 of the move, that is why Marth is able to escape it at times. The timing for it has to be precise but since ftilt comes out faster, it technically can't break him out.........am I wrong?
....what? No, the lack of hitstun at certain %'s/decays is what allows Marth to escape with DS. It has nothing to do with reflexes or timing.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
....what? No, the lack of hitstun at certain %'s/decays is what allows Marth to escape with DS. It has nothing to do with reflexes or timing.
Wow, and I was pleased with myself for supposedly figuring it out.

Flamingo777

Smash Apprentice
But after ftilting this guy when using characters such as fox (muhuahaha! :p) where I can get huge quantities of damage easily without him being able to do anything about it, he now thinks that counter/DS is the correct answer to Sheik's ftilt, so Ankoku, would the correct approach be to do a shield grab after the first ftilt to safely predict? And this method being true to the other characters who have instantaneous special attacks (B attacks) that might cancel the lock?

Also, I know I started this topic for the reason of anti-Marth tactics, but someone used an interesting tactic with an Olimar against me recently, and tried to escape the ftilt with an Olimar Down+B Whistle that grants him Super Armor. Have any of you encountered this approach by Olimar, and if so, could he escape it? In my case, the Olimar failed and got trapped in the lock even further *hehe*. Was this failure of my opponent because of inexperience with Olimar, or can Whistle maybe escape ftilt?

PS btw I played my first official tourney today and I am proud to say that I shut out someone that I rarely could beat before, it's amazing how the tournament setting really alter's one's gameplay, it sure affected me!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't normally go for ftilt lock unless it's a character I know it locks (space animals, Ganon, MK), and otherwise I just do ftilt nair or ftilt dsmash for a quick 20% or so damage. Getting proper decay lets you even tiltlock characters like Yoshi, though, but you'll have to get a feel for it before you can figure out how to set that stuff up.

Against Marth, either dsmash before he realizes you hit him with an ftilt or shield and pay attention to his reaction. If he DS's out, that earns you a free nair/uair/fair/bair/usmash/grab/whatever the hell you want. If he fairs, then it's a shieldgrab. If he gets used to it and punishes you, that's when you either ftilt more or dsmash to just end it early.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
For the record, he is invincible frame 1-4.

Ominous

Smash Apprentice
if you ever vs a Marth who love's to Counter... then use slid grab's or you're nide's... both way's after the Counter has finished there's a lag for Marth to do anythink...

Rawr_

Smash Apprentice
I hate getting c-c-c-combo breakered by up b, it's my main problem vs martha. I have to try some of these though, they sound pretty effective.

Top Bottom