• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHDL vs SHL

TheFuture

Smash Rookie
What are SHDL uses over SHL? I mean SHL is faster and the second Laser of SHDL never hits anyways. So why should I use SHDL over SHL?

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
I find them extraordinarily useful against Peach, Puff, Marth, and Sheik. Top players all use a lot of SHDL (Silent Wolf, Hax, Mango, M2K, and Leffen immediately come to mind), it not only shows off tech skill but guarantees a laser hit considering they don't shield/jump. It builds up damage a lot more quickly, I got a good 20% on this Puff I laser camped in tournament putting him at up-smash kill percent. The real trick is doing a retreating SHDL.

Honestly I think it's good to use both but for different scenarios. I find when the opponent is far away and trying to bait me with dash dances and wavedashes, I'll SHDL for more damage. When they start approaching or are closer to me is when to bust out the SHL because it's faster.

Last edited:

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Now this is already some really next level **** which you're probably not going to use for a long time, but it gives you an idea.

Everyone knows how useful lasers are in tacking on percent vs Peach and Puff, but you can do so much more with them. In some situations, you can really pressure someone with merely a laser. Everyone knows the far away laser, but the close laser on shield, now that's scary. The situation of Marth shielding on front of you and you SHL on his shield. No one will be as confused as the Marth. "Huh he's lasering I can literally punish him". After that laser you just roll in BAM sh Nair on his ass and he takes it to the face. This is just an example. Lasers can also be used to cover tech rolls and still pressure after that.

You can also just shoot a **** ton of lasers across the stage, camp him out, retreat to top platform, move to the other side, shoot more lasers, he'll come in and then you just go aggresive. It's a great show to mix in both offensive and defensive options.

Leffen is probably the best at this. He does it vs Armada both vs his Peach and in the 6-0 set Fox dittos. His laser game is so on point.

Last edited:

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
SHDL provides more coverage for more damage. For example if a Puff is crouching you'll always be able to land the lower laser that hits when they wavedash OOS.

If you can perform SHDL you might as well unless you only have X amount of time to get in a SHL and run away.

TheFuture

Smash Rookie
Now this is already some really next level **** which you're probably not going to use for a long time, but it gives you an idea.

Everyone knows how useful lasers are in tacking on percent vs Peach and Puff, but you can do so much more with them. In some situations, you can really pressure someone with merely a laser. Everyone knows the far away laser, but the close laser on shield, now that's scary. The situation of Marth shielding on front of you and you SHL on his shield. No one will be as confused as the Marth. "Huh he's lasering I can literally punish him". After that laser you just roll in BAM sh Nair on his *** and he takes it to the face. This is just an example. Lasers can also be used to cover tech rolls and still pressure after that.

You can also just shoot a **** ton of lasers across the stage, camp him out, retreat to top platform, move to the other side, shoot more lasers, he'll come in and then you just go aggresive. It's a great show to mix in both offensive and defensive options.

Leffen is probably the best at this. He does it vs Armada both vs his Peach and in the 6-0 set Fox dittos. His laser game is so on point.
Thanks! i'll remember to try that against my friends!

Last edited:
Top Bottom