• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHAD+Shine=invulnerability?

Ceruvik

Smash Cadet
I was just messing around with SHFFAD (pretty much using ad's invincibility frames while landing) and thought I might throw in a shine(before landing) and I thought about how i hate using shine in free-for-all because it leaves you vulnerable. Does this work?
Quick Note: Try SHing and then toadstool jumping then AD shine/Dair works pretty well for mindgames right?

Icantlos

Smash Rookie
I guess I don't quite get what you're trying to do. How are you going to aerial dodge if you are shining and vice versa?

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
I think hes talking about using the buffer system and the frames of invincibility on the aerial dodge, via SHAD'ing, you can be invincible from the front, since falco's shine has no start up lag.

Example...

say frames 1-5 are you have invincibility frames from your air dodge and on frame 6 you land on the ground. Through the automatic buffer system, you already had input your over-B to throw out falco's shine, so frame 6, you are attacking. Frame 5 = invincible. Frame 6 = attacking.

The only test to prove this is to prove that Falco's shine has no start up lag frames.

Ceruvik

Smash Cadet
So the invincible frames won't stay until after the shine happens? btw it's hard to pull off using SH reg hop is easier. When i say vulnerable I mean the time when you throw the reflector.

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
I suppose someone who counts frames can find the answer for sure haha..ill have to try this tho..

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
So the invincible frames won't stay until after the shine happens? btw it's hard to pull off using SH reg hop is easier. When i say vulnerable I mean the time when you throw the reflector.
No, you are not invincible during the shine, but since you are attacking, your offensive attack is a pseudo-defense. It's a fail-safe attack, or so i think it is, until someone shows there is actual start up lag on falco's shine.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Someone can still get you from behind when the shine comes out in Free for all?

And take note of the dead zone of the shine. You can't AD RIGHT on/next do him and shine, or else you end up missing him - very very punishable.

iredecent

Smash Cadet
i still don't get the point of the shine before the air dodge, and i didn't think it was possible honestly. i mmean the shine shoots out fast but its return is lagged by him catching it right? so how do get in the shine and the air dodge in only SH?

Blad01

Smash Lord
I don't think that's useful... :/

- Shine has few frames at the beginning that the opponent can use to attack you or grab you.
- Shine has a dead zone...

Doval

Smash Lord
NoVaLombardia said:
say frames 1-5 are you have invincibility frames from your air dodge and on frame 6 you land on the ground. Through the automatic buffer system, you already had input your over-B to throw out falco's shine, so frame 6, you are attacking. Frame 5 = invincible. Frame 6 = attacking.
This fails because you'll always have a few frames of landing lag during which you can do nothing. Same applies to shielding; shields activate in 1 frame, but if you try to land with an air dodge and then shield, you're still vulnerable for a few frames in between.

Falco's shine doesn't have instant start-up either.

Top Bottom