• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SH FAir out of shield

Flayl

Smash Hero
I wanted to develop Bowser's shield game toward well spaced long range moves and against aerials followed by a double jump. The times when fortress won't hurt your opponents.

Turns out Bowser's jumping animation SUCKS, more than I even imagined.

It takes Bowser 17 frames to SH Rising FAir OoS. This means, from inside your shield, 17 frames for the hitbox to come out.

I didn't bother to count the frames for FJ Rising NAir, but it should be close, either you're locked in the full jump animation before you can NAir or you aren't, so I estimate between 17 to 20 frames, I'll test later when I'm done with SH Rising FAir.

To give you an idea, Jab after shield drop takes 13 frames (7 for shield drop, 6 for jab).

The plus side is that the FAir can hit targets further away than Bowser's jab, but will not hit people at FTilt range. Also since it's a Rising FAir, there is no aerial lag so you can follow up with any ground move.

For now the following list is made of attacks that have a -17 frame advantage against shields, I will later on edit out those that can't outrange Bowser's jab.

SH FAir OoS against the following if they're outside of Jab range and inside of FTilt range:
Bowser
  • 2nd Jab
    Dash Attack
    DTilt
    FTilt
    UTilt
    DSmash
    FSmash
    NAir
    DAir
    FAir
    BAir
    UAir
    UpB
    DownB
Donkey Kong

• 2nd Jab
    Dash Attack
    FTilt
    Utilt
    DSmash
    FSmash
    BAir
    UAir
    DAir
    FAir
    NAir
    B
    OverB
    UpB
Falco
  • FTilt
    UTilt
    DSmash
    FSmash
    USmash
    FAir
    UpB
    DownB
Game & Watch
  • Dash Attack
    DTilt
    FTilt
    FSmash
    B
Ganondorf
  • Jab
    Dash Attack
    DTilt
    FTilt
    UTilt
    DSmash
    FSmash
    B
    DownB
Jigglypuff

• Dash Attack
    DTilt
    FTilt
    DSmash
    FSmash
    USmash
    B
    DownB
    OverB
Lucas
  • 3rd Jab
    Dash Attack
    UTilt
    DSmash
    FSmash
    USmash
    DAir
    OverB
    UpB
    DownB
Luigi
  • 3rd Jab
    DTilt
    FTilt
    UTilt
    DSmash
    USmash
    FAir
    B
    UpB
    DownB
    OverB
Mario
  • 3rd Jab
    Dash Attack
    DTilt
    UTilt
    DSmash
    FSmash
    USmash
    DAir
    FAir
    B
    UpB
    OverB
Marth
  • 1st and 2nd Jab
    Dash Attack
    FTilt
    UTilt
    DSmash
    FSmash
    USmash
    DAir
    B
    DownB
    UpB
Meta Knight
  • B (Ending)
    DownB
    OverB
Ness
  • 3rd Jab
    Dash Attack
    FTilt
    UTilt
    DAir
    FAir
    UAir
    BAir
    FAir???
    UpB
Peach
  • 2nd Jab
    Dash Attack
    UTilt
    FTilt
    USmash
    FSmash
    DSmash
    UpB
    OverB
Toon Link
  • 3rd Jab
    Dash Attack
    FTilt
    DSmash
    FSmash
    USmash
Wario
  • 2nd Jab
    Dash Attack
    DTilt
    FTilt
    UTilt
    DSmash
    FSmash
    USmash
    DAir
    BAir
    OverB
    UpB
    DownB

Currently editing

Flayl

Smash Hero
From best to worst option OoS:

Grab -> Fortress -> Jab -> UTilt -> FAir-> FTilt -> Jump away

Go further to the right until you get the range you need.

You can bait a klaw when jumping away, for example.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Funny how it's in the frame data thread and I didn't even bother to look it up. 9 frames is TERRIBLE.

What does Sakurai have against Bowser seriously.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Well, Bowser is fat after all. Bowser's Fair OoS comes out in 17 frames.

Squirtles Nair OoS comes out in 9 frames.

Bowser fails.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Squirtle is just faster. His jump comes out nearly twice as fast as ours, and the same goes for his aerials.

In any case, there's no reason to jump OoS unless your opponent is wide open. Remember that in order for Bowser to even jump from the ground, it takes 9 frames. While a Fortress takes only 6. (provided you jump cancel it)

Flayl

Smash Hero
The main uses for this will be against attacks like Marth's FSmash or Ike's spaced FAir, which fortress is bad against.

Unfortunately this is too slow to punish G&W's BAir.

Once I've finished the list this will seem a lot more useful.

MrEh

Smash Hero
There is no reason to try and shield Ike's Fair. You have fire, use it.

As for Marth, don't bother. Just Fsmash instead.

Flayl

Smash Hero
This is depressing, grounded Meta Knight is too short to punish with a Rising FAir. Feel free to punish the last FTilt with a walking FTilt of your own (MK's FTilt pushes you barely out of distance but you have the frame advantage to punish him anyway).

With that I can say MK is done, not that it was any help. UTilt against DAirs and FTilt against FTilts.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Wow Bowser's jump is THAT terrible. Hmmm, how much can you punish if you powershield? I imagine quite a bit more. Well keep working on this, it could be quite useful.

That being said, AARGH more stuff to memorize, as if the grab release thread wasn't enough.

Flayl

Smash Hero
You should develop a feel for it. If something long range and laggy hits your shield, estimate if you can Jab back. If not, either don't try to punish or or do this.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Hmmm...this was updated quite a bit since I last saw it. Yay :>

And I might be delusional, but weren't also working on Full Jump NAir or something like that...what happened? Lol if you actually weren't, and I'm going crazy, lemme know :p

Flayl

Smash Hero
Hmmm...this was updated quite a bit since I last saw it. Yay :>

And I might be delusional, but weren't also working on Full Jump NAir or something like that...what happened? Lol if you actually weren't, and I'm going crazy, lemme know :p
Since UTilt's hitbox is pretty big, you're much better off UTilting after letting shield drop than doing a full jump and NAir'ing, specially because it takes less frames (15 rather than 17 or 18)

But for now the only character that is finished is Meta Knight, I'm trying to figure out how to determine which of Snake's attacks have enough lag to test this against. Snakes don't have frame advantage in their frame data thread.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Characters that are below Mario's standing height cannot be Rising FAired (reliably). That includes characters in crouching animations, of course. FAir (standing) Mario all you want though.

Top Bottom