• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SGDQ 2014 Speedrunning Marathon Streaming June 22-28

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
While most Smashers were busy watching the MLG Anaheim finals last night, another major gaming event was beginning as well. Summer Games Done Quick 2014 is a week-long speedrunning marathon that will be running 24/7, bringing in runners from all over the world to run their favorite games while raising money for an excellent humanitarian-aid NGO, Doctors Without Borders.

Join the SGDQ2014 stream here!

Donations, Incentives

Donations will be taken throughout the week. Viewers feeling generous can donate here, but a savvy donation can also change the direction of the stream. Many games have special incentives that can be donated towards, and are unlocked at certain cash values. These incentives run the gamut from running extra, super-difficult levels such as Champion's Road in Super Mario World 3D to choosing the ending of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. There are even incentives that force runners to complete portions of games completely blindfolded. For the full list of game incentives, click here.

Prizes

Viewers who donate are also eligible for prizes! Donors who pledge above a certain amount (usually $5-20) during a particular game's run will be put in a drawing for that game's prize. The prizes are nothing to scoff at either - notable prizes include a Japanese Nintendo 64 with controllers and games, a sealed copy of Startropics II, and a signed Valve Orange Box. For the full list of prizes, click here.

Merchandise

Official T-shirts are also available from theyetee.com. Three dollars of each purchase goes directly to Doctors Without Borders. Humble Bundle is also running a promotion alongside SDGQ 2014, selling an amazing bundle of games. 100% of the money gained by this promotion will go straight to Doctors Without Borders.

The crowd looks on as speedrunner Trihex tackles SMW2: Yoshi's Island, one of the most technically challenging speedruns in the world. Don't take our word for it, though.

Whether casual or competitive, many Smashers grew up on other games in the Nintendo pantheon. Below is a schedule of games being run during SGDQ 2014 featuring characters included in the Smash Brothers series. If any of these games tickle a nostalgic itch, give its speedrun a watch! For a complete list of every game being run this week, follow this link to the full Games Done Quick schedule.

List of Nintendo/Smash Bros. Related Speed Runs

Organized by Date and Time

June 22, 2014

2:00:00 PM - Super Mario 3D World, by SlowKingsPants
7:12:00 PM - Donkey Kong Country, by Garrison
7:57:00 PM - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, by Garrison, Twig
8:52:00 PM - Kirby's Dream Land, by TrUShade
9:12:00 PM - Kirby Super Star, by Countdown42
10:42:00 PM - Banjo-Tooie, by Hyperresonance

June 23, 2014
1:57:00 AM - Pikmin, by CaptainX24
3:52:00 PM - Sonic the Hedgehog 2, by Aleck47
4:22:00 PM - Tails' Adventure, by boredeathly
4:57:00 PM - Sonic Advance 2, by Naegleria
5:42:00 PM - Sonic Unleashed (Day stages only), by BrokenArthritis
6:57:00 PM - Mega Man, by Adefgames
7:27:00 PM - Mega Man 3, by Checkers
8:12:00 PM - Mega Man 5, by darkman78
9:02:00 PM - Mega Man 6, by DarkTerrex, Golden
9:47:00 PM - Mega Man V (Game Boy), by mrcab, Virtualboyness
10:47:00 PM - The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, by Zmaster91

June 26, 2014
11:17:05 AM - Yoshi's Story, by soothingplumtea
11:47:05 AM - New Super Mario Bros. U, by ewaller
12:37:05 AM - New Super Luigi U, by wexcelsior
3:27:05 PM - Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, by Bananas

June 27, 2014
12:42:05 AM - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, by TLoZSR & Testrunner
6:02:05 PM - Metroid Prime 1 vs Metroid Prime 2 Bid War, by Miles
7:42:05 PM - Metroid Fusion, by kirbymastah, BioSpark & JaggerG (Race!)
9:32:05 PM - Super Mario Bros. 2 (U.S.), by Cak
10:02:05 PM - Super Mario Bros. 3, by Duckfist
11:12:05 PM - Super Mario World, by Suidt

June 28, 2014
1:12:05 AM - Super Mario Sunshine, by Linkfan21, ChrisM & JKB (Race!)
2:52:05 AM - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, by Almolicious
9:07:05 AM - Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, by unusualcook, Bbforky (Intense Difficulty, incentive to run Pokemon Snap)
10:07:05 AM - Pokemon Red vs Pokemon Gold Bid War, by Shenanigans, MexiricanBassMonkey
11:22:05 AM - Mega Man Zero 2, by Kuribon
12:35:05 PM - Mega Man X, by Tiki & CalebHart
1:12:05 PM - Mega Man X2, by Cale, lateyourpie, Ivan & Trogdor (Race!)
6:32:05 PM - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, by Andy & Jadin
8:32:05 PM - Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, by Zangeroth
11:24:05 PM Super Metroid, by Zoast & Ivan

Join the SGDQ2014 stream here!

NOTE: Some of these runs have already happened. GDQ runs have historically been uploaded to the Speed Demos Archive on YouTube. Follow the link to see runs from years past, and watch for new uploads.

The Smash Brothers community has raised money for excellent causes in the past - now it's time to do it again!
Are any of you out there also speedrunners? What are your favorite runs of all time? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit has just recently warmed up to speedrunning after a friend of his temporarily held the world record for LoZ: Link's Awakening, beating the game in two minutes and forty-nine seconds. Whoa. Talk Smash, speedruns and more with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
An admirable and great cause. Glad to see them get more recognition. Think I might watch that amazing F Zero GX run again :)

Last edited:

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
Ooooh, this is cool. I'll definitely be checking this out once I'm done with exams.

... dat crotch cam doe

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I love watching speedruns! It's awesome to see some news carry over from SDA to here.

I've tried a few single-segment runs, though not recorded nor completed. IIRC I beat the 1st gym in Pokemon Diamond in about a half hour, and the 3rd in 2 hours. I also got to the Opera House in FF6A in about 2 hours too.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
I'm disappointed it took this long for someone to call out OP:

Caption under Trihex. Yoshi's Island = SMW2 not SMB2.

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
I'm disappointed it took this long for someone to call out OP:

Caption under Trihex. Yoshi's Island = SMW2 not SMB2.
Oh no, a typo! The misinformation is running rampant! Woe to us, the community!

It's okay. I promise. I actually just kinda glossed over it. If you know what it's supposed to be, you just kinda autofill as you read.

Also, I'm really hoping to see Aftermath come to one of these as well. I do so enjoy his Castlevania and Darksiders runs.

Zodiac

Smash Master
There will be a PM/Melee tournament on Wednesday starting at 2 PM to whenever, I will be streaming it on twitch.tv/zodiacsmash
1 PM PST
2 PM MDT
3 PM EST

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
I'm really only excited for the Zelda games being run. The Oracle games are my favorite in the franchise.

Top Bottom