• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sex Symbols - A Female Character Increase

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Certain games have had a significant ammount of popularity due to the sex appeal of certain characters (I.E. Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive.) Melee didn't have such things but it's becoming obvious from other games that Nintendo is starting to create their characters with some sort of sex appeal.

http://sarge.wheresthebeef.co.uk/SGv2/Wallpapers/wallpaper[StarFox]02-l.png
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x174/GIGAMARTH/midnapt6.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i83/cena_wolf19/stock/photo_main.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/GoLee/nintendo/Mario/Strikers/untitled2.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/stotticus/5903ac23.jpg

The focus will be more towards the male players because more males will play than females. And the effects have taken notice. Just about everyone has heard or declared the a certain character is "hot".

If it is safe to assume that Nintendo is using sex appeal, is it safe to assume that this will ensure a great increase in female characters?

Shuma

Smash Hero
Well... i don't play Soul Calibur because of Ivy's gigantic Breasts... I'm not a desperate Teenager.

CrystalMidnight

Smash Cadet
That does make sense, however the games you mentioned I don't play but it does seem likely that with more sex symbols and guys playing, there'll be an increase but some guys like to play as the big buff cool lookin guy so it'll also have an increase in the male characters

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I'm not sure I'd count Midna as a part of this "sex appeal movement". She's a great looking character to be sure, but I don't think she'd be considered stereotypically "sexy".

That said, I still see your point. I'd like to believe most guys don't need to get their kicks from video game vixens, but if so, so be it. Nintendo knows where the money's coming from.

But here's a counterpoint: Maybe all (or, at least most) of these characters that are supposed to be "sexy" only appear the way they do because it makes sense for their character. For instance, it makes sense for samus to be built the way she is due to her occupation. I would think love handles would hinder her a bit in her bounty hunting.

Any thoughts?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
1) Midna is not "sexy"
2) Midna will not be in Brawl

And yeah, I could care less about their sex appeal. They're cartoon characters, not real womens.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I'm not sure I'd count Midna as a part of this "sex appeal movement". She's a great looking character to be sure, but I don't think she'd be considered stereotypically "sexy".
But there is someone who thinks she is sexy. If she is supposed to be considered sexy, then anyone who thinks so has fallen for the trap. Also I was looking for Midna's true form but I couldn't find a non-fan-drawn pic.

But here's a counterpoint: Maybe all (or, at least most) of these characters that are supposed to be "sexy" only appear the way they do because it makes sense for their character. For instance, it makes sense for samus to be built the way she is due to her occupation. I would think love handles would hinder her a bit in her bounty hunting.
That is understandable, but look at ZSS. Her curves, butt, and breasts are made encridibly noticable. Sure she should be sexy but not so far as to have guys looking at her pic over and over again.

1) Midna is not "sexy"
2) Midna will not be in Brawl

And yeah, I could care less about their sex appeal. They're cartoon characters, not real womens.
That may be your opinion, but some pervert soul thinks so.

This thread does not suggest any characters.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I lol'd when Captain Falcon popped up on that last one.

Just a thought: Maybe a lot of game character designers are ...men. And if they going to be spending a lot of time creating a female character, they might as well be easy on the eyes to them? Especially if they're also going to be creating horrible enemy monsters as well.

(I'm not sure if i'm joking or being serious... Seems like it could be something to consider anyhow.)

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
But there is someone who thinks she is sexy. If she is supposed to be considered sexy, then anyone who thinks so has fallen for the trap. Also I was looking for Midna's true form but I couldn't find a non-fan-drawn pic.
Well, I think someone, somewhere, finds basically anything sexy. Someone might think Goombas are sexy. That doesn't mean they were created for that purpose.

Still, I do see the point you're making.

That is understandable, but look at ZSS. Her curves, butt, and breasts are made encridibly noticable. Sure she should be sexy but not so far as to have guys looking at her pic over and over again.
True, but I guess that gets into personal preferences and views. I never really bothered with a detailed look at her figure, but I guess I'm not the demographic to do so. Her features might be exaggerated for the sake of sex appeal, as you say.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Also Samus has been likat that since always, just that in the good 'ol days, she was made of Pixels.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
^lol'd

I also wanted to put: "Could this even lead to a female third party character." but for some reason it's not working. =/

I'll be checking this tomorrow.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Sometimes those things just help.. Look at

DEAD OR ALIVE.... It is a pretty great fighting game besides the bounce factor.. But the volleyball and other games are pushing it a bit too much.

I also think Final Fantasy X-2 was supposed to sell off of that (Too bad I thought it would be a great sequel and was the only FF I actually own and it sucked)..

They trick you.. I don't think they are depending on this scheme for Super Smash.. Its got enough fame as a great fighting game with characters from numerous Nintendo games. They are running off of other things, sex appeal shouldn't really matter to them at this time.

I don't think they want to put something like that into a game that has Mario in it.. Mario represents Nintendo. I am pretty sure that they won't put "sexy" things into a game that has a less mature Mario in it and represent Nintendo with sex appeal..

Caael

Smash Lord
Certain games have had a significant ammount of popularity due to the sex appeal of certain characters (I.E. Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive.) Melee didn't have such things but it's becoming obvious from other games that Nintendo is starting to create their characters with some sort of sex appeal.

http://sarge.wheresthebeef.co.uk/SGv2/Wallpapers/wallpaper[StarFox]02-l.png
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x174/GIGAMARTH/midnapt6.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i83/cena_wolf19/stock/photo_main.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/GoLee/nintendo/Mario/Strikers/untitled2.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/stotticus/5903ac23.jpg

The focus will be more towards the male players because more males will play than females. And the effects have taken notice. Just about everyone has heard or declared the a certain character is "hot".

If it is safe to assume that Nintendo is using sex appeal, is it safe to assume that this will ensure a great increase in female characters?
Um, no. Female characters are in there because a game would suck with no girls, and they're hot because nobody wants to play as a fat chick.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Um, no. Female characters are in there because a game would suck with no girls, and they're hot because nobody wants to play as a fat chick.
Which is interesting, since I've seen many people announce that they plan to main a fat guy in Brawl (a certain motorcycle-riding, nuke-farting italian).

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
b00bz FTW!

But seriously folks, I doubt it. Super Smash Brothers, no matter what you call it is still fairly kiddish in execution, no matter how many awesome (TP Link) cool (Solid Snake) or hot (Zamus) characters they put in there.

-=Marth_n_Roy=-

Smash Ace
ROFL @ listing Midna as a "sex appealing" character.
beat twilight princess and say that.

1) Midna is not "sexy"
see above

true, but the majority of the perv union of a America (to which im a member) will not buy a fighting game thats all male, regardless of how kick-*** the gameplay would be. But throw in an all female game. . .and you sell titles for that reason alone

again it was to sell game copies, (or in Samus' case, to make players go 'whoa its a chick'). And their not not cause noone wants to play a large woman. . .Sexy sells alot better.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
They also need to put females in the game to prevent controversy about it being male dominant... I doubt anyone would do anything about it though. But if it was all males its like males are the best and there is no need for females..

Though I think Japan is very male dominated..

Procrasticritter

Smash Journeyman
Which is interesting, since I've seen many people announce that they plan to main a fat guy in Brawl (a certain motorcycle-riding, nuke-farting italian).
ROFL.

see that illustrates the point. Wario is funny and its ok to laugh at him for being a fat slob. That's sort of who he is, as a personality and as a character. Its what makes him great.

But if it was a fat female character, you can't really have a character like what Wario is, cause somebody would get mad. So yeah, that's why we have females that look that Zamus. No complaints here.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
ROFL.

see that illustrates the point. Wario is funny and its ok to laugh at him for being a fat slob. That's sort of who he is, as a personality and as a character. Its what makes him great.

But if it was a fat female character, you can't really have a character like what Wario is, cause somebody would get mad. So yeah, that's why we have females that look that Zamus. No complaints here.
I guess, but the hypocrisy bothers me some.

Overall, I think the male characters kind of get short changed in the sex appeal department. Males like Wario and Ganandorf (cool character, but LOOK AT THAT FACE HOG OF A NOSE HE HAS) are allowed in, where as the females are always hot.

I mean for males, what have we really got? Link, and Fox and Falco if you're into furry. And I guess Captain Falcon if you go for the over-buff meat-head thing (Captain fans, please don't Falcon Punch me). Compared to how many male characters there are, that doesn't seem like many.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
this argument is silly.

how disappointed would you be if princess zelda was some fat chick? ganondorf and wario are bad guys and as such conform to bad guy stereotypes (you cant have floppy hair and a perfect nose if your trying to take over the world). as do damsels in distress (peach and zelda etc.). samus is hot because it would be moderately disappointing to get to the end of any metroid game and have take off her suit and underneath theres some uber masculine chick posing for you. what kind of a reward is that for the lusty teen sitting behind the wii-mote (generalistion i know, but im probably pretty close to the mark). male sex symbols? anyone from fire emblem.

ps. midna is WAY hot......EVEN in imp form!

..................surely theres something that rhymes with circus................

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
fact 1: zero suit has big boobs
fact 2: there are no ugly chicks in the game
fact 3: there are ugly dudes in the game

inference: nintendo cares more about sex appeal to males than to females.

also, to whoever said they wouldn't put "sexy" things into games with mario, have you checked out peach's thong in that one thread that popped up exactly like this one a month or so ago?

also also, did the topic creator forget about the search function?

search ftw!

:edit:
I'm not sure if I would call a caped, tiara wearing pretty boy (marth) a sex symbol.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I hope there are a few more cool and sexy characters in Brawl compared too Melee. But nobody can beat Captain Falcon anyway so maybe its useless to even make the attempt ya know?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
this argument is silly.

how disappointed would you be if princess zelda was some fat chick? ganondorf and wario are bad guys and as such conform to bad guy stereotypes (you cant have floppy hair and a perfect nose if your trying to take over the world). as do damsels in distress (peach and zelda etc.). samus is hot because it would be moderately disappointing to get to the end of any metroid game and have take off her suit and underneath theres some uber masculine chick posing for you. what kind of a reward is that for the lusty teen sitting behind the wii-mote (generalistion i know, but im probably pretty close to the mark). male sex symbols? anyone from fire emblem.

ps. midna is WAY hot......EVEN in imp form!

..................surely theres something that rhymes with circus................
So far, I've been hit with "dircus/dirkus" a lot. And I've come to accept it as an official word. So, go with that, I guess.

I can understand the Villians-are-ugly-because-they-are logic (oddly enough) but I can't even think of any evil females off the top of my head at all—let alone ones that would have been given the sexy treatment.

Just seems like they find excuses to give all the guys besides Link a big nose, a beer belly and caterpillar eyebrows. I want more sexy guys.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
insult the tiara, fine, but stay away from capes man! they're for WINNERS!

in that case none of them are sex symbols really. i mean, the females are attractive sure, but people (the 'normalish' ones that i know anyway) don't aspire to be with them or fantasize about them. im not saying there aren't exceptions.....moving on, the term was thrown in at the beginning of the thread, but what we're really talking about is why there are ONLY attractive females, some unattractive males. if you can deal with anime characters, then marth, roy, and adult link are all handsomely designed. thats 3 blokes, and theres 3 attractive females that i can think of (zelda, ZZS, and peach).

so.......everyones arguing FOR the inclusion of ugly mingers?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
insult the tiara, fine, but stay away from capes man! they're for WINNERS!

in that case none of them are sex symbols really. i mean, the females are attractive sure, but people (the 'normalish' ones that i know anyway) don't aspire to be with them or fantasize about them. im not saying there aren't exceptions.....moving on, the term was thrown in at the beginning of the thread, but what we're really talking about is why there are ONLY attractive females, some unattractive males. if you can deal with anime characters, then marth, roy, and adult link are all handsomely designed. thats 3 blokes, and theres 3 attractive females that i can think of (zelda, ZZS, and peach).

so.......everyones arguing FOR the inclusion of ugly mingers?
Meh. I wouldn't include Marth or Roy. I guess they fit the bill about as well as Link does, but something about both of them turns me off to them.

But I guess that just boils down to pickiness, which gets us nowhere.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I'm not melted over them for they're sexy ness. But I don't think they were used for attraction of female gamers haha.

Female characters can attract female gamers too (I'm not making suggestive remarks about their sexual orientation). They feel they can whoop some tail with females and it will satisfy them in a male dominated category.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I don't think Jigglypuff is sexy =/. I know Jigglypuff could be considered male or female. I'm pretty sure some people will get mad if a main female protagonist was made to look unattractive. I really don't care.

BTW...nothing doesn't rhyme with circus, MUCUS rhymes with circus.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I'm not melted over them for they're sexy ness. But I don't think they were used for attraction of female gamers haha.

Female characters can attract female gamers too (I'm not making suggestive remarks about their sexual orientation). They feel they can whoop some tail with females and it will satisfy them in a male dominated category.
True. The same way characters like Captain Falcon, Link, and Wario seem to attract a lot of male gamers, most of them probably being straight.

Though, they're character models are meant for that, I think. Besides Link; I think he appeals to basically everyone.

Female players may pick a female in order to kick *** with two X chromosomes, but they're character models do seem to be made with straight males in mind. and I guess any lesbians they can grab on the way are nice bonuses, haha.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Mucus doesn't really rhyme with circus.
Now, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkus, that rhymes with Circus something hardcore.

The fire emblem guys really aren't that sexy... I wouldn't really say any of the male characters were designed with sexy in mind... Though I do think Link has won the affections of various female fans. Guess he's the strong silent type ('cept for the occasional yell of rage/pain).

What are some ugly female characters out there that'd actually fit the bill for a character slot? I always thought Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark was ugly as sin.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
At least there's a word that rhymes with circus.

What do male characters have to do with female character increase anyways?

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Mucus doesn't really rhyme with circus.
Now, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkus, that rhymes with Circus something hardcore.

The fire emblem guys really aren't that sexy... I wouldn't really say any of the male characters were designed with sexy in mind... Though I do think Link has won the affections of various female fans. Guess he's the strong silent type ('cept for the occasional yell of rage/pain).

What are some ugly female characters out there that'd actually fit the bill for a character slot? I always thought Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark was ugly as sin.
Hah.. I hate anime guys that looks like women..

And Link.. his yell of rage I recognize the most is his up + B something like "SHEEYAH!!"

Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark? She was actually pretty good in Perfect Dark Zero.. Never played the original one.. Didn't make me want to buy the game, I heard it was supposed to be awesome and would own Halo.. Guess not eh? That game was alright but nothing spectacular.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Right right, forgot her look in Perfect Dark Zero.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/Perfectdark1.jpg
There ya go. I'm sure she would've looked better if the graphics were better, or... something. But still. I felt like the cutscenes made her seem very unattractive.
I looked at various lists of female characters in video games and couldn't find any that were particularly unattractive. Well, I guess that makes it hard for Brawl to include characters that aren't sex symbols, eh?

BudDudandSlash

Smash Apprentice
A good rule to know: A bad game can grab sales with a sexy woman on the box art.
Let's hope Brawl relies on good gameplay to sell, rather than blatant sex appeal.

Ever seen some of those fishing game boxes? Can you guess why there's a bikini lady fishing?

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
A good rule to know: A bad game can grab sales with a sexy woman on the box art.
Let's hope Brawl relies on good gameplay to sell, rather than blatant sex appeal.

Ever seen some of those fishing game boxes? Can you guess why there's a bikini lady fishing?
well, i imagine sitting out on a boat in the sun is a prefect why to get a tan. gosh, some people......

your right tho, sex sells.

btw, can anyone confirm that link is a gay icon? i think i read that somewhere........

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Link... a gay icon? No, no he isn't. I can't think of a single thing indicating that he'd be gay in the games... other than him not directly starting a relationship with any of the female characters, but that's a fairly stupid reason.
In Link's Awakening, he actually DID have romantic this-and-thats with that one girl, at least to the extent that a speachless video game character could.

However, I think the Link gay icon thing may have been started because of the parody cartoon show Drawn Together has a gay elven character which is fairly clearly based off of Link and those like him.

Think of Bloodrayne- her sex appeal was basically the entire selling point of the game.

Edit: Hey, here ya go for gay Link.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6151905.html?page=2
See, it mentions the cartoon character that I did as well. Go me.

Top Bottom