• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Setting the Record Straight: How DI Works in Smash 4

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Proper DI in Smash is important across all titles and can mean the difference between death or surviving to get a few more hits in. DI has been a bit confusing in Smash 4 however, with a new system dubbed "Vectoring" being used at one point, and changes being made during patches after release. This had lead to the accidental spread of misinformation on how DI actually works in Smash 4. VaBengal has created a video to finally set the record straight and help players properly DI.

To see more content from VaBengal check out his Youtube channel. Hopefully this video helped players understand DI within Smash 4 and can finally make it clear to all how DI works in Smash 4.

SmashCapps found the video very informative! DI over to Twitter and follow @Smashcapps.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
This is an example of making something way more complicated than it has to be. Sakurai is weird.

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Gee, took us long enough to find out how to properly DI in this game! Why does this have to be so complicated compared to the previous iterations of Smash?

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
It has to be complicated because Smash must appeal to all people. If it's confusing and complicated to everyone then there will be no gap between skilled and unskilled players. Sakurai logic.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Awesome video. It's awesome that someone was FINALLY able to just explain the whole DI/Vectoring thing straight-up.

Definitely will not forget this info.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

What a turnabout ! Everything we knew about DI in Smash 4 was pratically wrong !

Last edited:

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
This makes me wonder how much will this have an impact in top tournaments now that proper DI has been discovered. On a sidenote I like the new avatar @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill ^_^

Jaycen_Thunda

Smash Rookie
This was very well done in my opinion. However I'm still confused.
Please Correct me if I'm wrong,
When getting hit horizontal, I hold the stick towards the stage?
When getting hit vertical, I hold the stick to the left?

For example, with R.O.B's Down throw, I pop up, does that mean I hold left to DI?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

For example, with R.O.B's Down throw, I pop up, does that mean I hold left to DI?
If you're getting hit upward, you want to hold toward whichever corner is closer. Since the blast zones are a little further away at the corners than directly across or above, altering your angle to move closer to them gives you a better chance to survive.

D

Deleted member

It was an odd and completely unnecessary change, but it's really not that complicated at all. It only seems that way because it took people a while to figure out what the heck was going on.

1. If you are heading towards the left blast zone, hold directly right (i.e. towards the stage.)
2. If you are heading towards the right blast zone, hold directly left (i.e. towards the stage.)
3. If you are heading North-West towards the upper blast zone, hold directly left (i.e. towards the nearest corner of the screen.)
4. If you are heading North-East towards the upper blast zone, hold directly right (i.e. towards the nearest corner of the screen.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Smash Ace
THIS IS SO COMPLICATED! I DON'T KNOW HALF THE THINGS THEY'RE SAYING IN THE VIDEO!!!

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
I dont think I've ever turned my eyebrows harder than during this.
"Wait, what? But then also normal DI?"

YurtZoire

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMajesticDerm
3DS FC
4699-8545-0583

Most attacks that send you upward have a slight angled trajectory. In this case, you want to Di with that side rather than against it so you don't go too up and get star KO'd basically. Watch out for them 2 o'clock launchers like luigi's side smash.. That $%#? is hard AF to Di..

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
Does DI-ing left or right actually slow your momentum when getting launched upward? Or is it save you just because the blast zone is farther away in the upper corner?

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Good to know how things are working now, I was finding weird reading about "No VI anymore" and surviving through 197% as Kirby, but dying as early as 89% and DI'ing the hardest I could.

b2jammer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
b2jammer
So basically, never hold up or down during DI. Hold toward the stage when knocked horizontal, and hold away from the attacker when knocked vertical. Got it.

The Petalburg

Smash Rookie
Then it seems like I was always doing it wrong! I always instinctively held out right when I was being launched upwards. That won't be happening again any time soon!

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
So basically, just DI everything horizontally? Interesting...

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Funny thing here is that I've always DI'd exactly like this in sm4sh and didn't know it was the right way. I always thought I was doing it wrong on my own reaction

BuTTNutz

Smash Apprentice
Can someone clarify the difference between vectoring and DI please?
vectoring is if you hold the control stick toward the attack or stage to reduce knockback and DI is When if your being knocked horizontally you hold upto reduce knockback, but if your being knocked up you hold right or left to reduce knockback

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
vectoring is if you hold the control stick toward the attack or stage to reduce knockback and DI is When if your being knocked horizontally you hold upto reduce knockback, but if your being knocked up you hold right or left to reduce knockback
Sorry, I'm still a bit confused.

What is vectoring exactly? Is it the movement of a character? Based on what you said, it seems they are both being used to reduce knockback. Are these terms interchangeable?

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
guys so if you get it vertical just hold diagonal down left or right depends of the nearest corner of the stage. if horrizontal just hold left or right right?

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Does DI-ing left or right actually slow your momentum when getting launched upward? Or is it save you just because the blast zone is farther away in the upper corner?
When launched vertically its ecause of blast zones, when launched horizontally its because of slowing down.

That said....while the explanation seems complicated this actually makes the use of DI/VI easier because you only need hold left or right.

Get launched up: DI left or right.
Get launched horizontally: VI left or right.
Get launched diagonally: little of both left or right.

This actually makes recovery much easier in practice.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Well, this is dumb. Is one of the designers to blame, or is a coder that goofed? It's poor design to keep half of both systems in place. Heck, I'd almost prefer vectoring making a complete comeback to this bizarre mishmash of mechanics.

Last edited:

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
When launched vertically its ecause of blast zones, when launched horizontally its because of slowing down.

That said....while the explanation seems complicated this actually makes the use of DI/VI easier because you only need hold left or right.

Get launched up: DI left or right.
Get launched horizontally: VI left or right.
Get launched diagonally: little of both left or right.

This actually makes recovery much easier in practice.
VI i dont understand and the diagonaly, i must hold right? can you explain me please DI VI what means and where i need use the stick?

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
VI i dont understand and the diagonaly, i must hold right? can you explain me please DI VI what means and where i need use the stick?
IMO, dont worry about the terms.
Think of it like this:

If you're launched horizontally, just hold left/right toward the stage.
It you're launched vertically, hold left/right toward the nearest corner.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
WOAH, Would you look at that?

You guys might not die to Helicopter Kick at 40% anymore!

Because you shouldn't. I found this out back in December w/ Vex Kasrani when we figured out how to DI Helicopter Kick. Funny how this move has single-handedly screwed over anyone who was used to Brawl/Melee DI, letting you die EARLIER than no DI at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom