• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Media Seteth's Lessons - Byleth Frame Data Thread

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Byleth frame data thread. This is where I'm going to compile info about Byleth's moveset, such as frame data and damage, into formats I hope are both visually fun but also accessible.

I've gathered quite a bit of data already from the trailer, and have cross-checked it with various other sources (this, this from Ruben, and this), so these numbers should be fairly accurate... except, of course, for the fact that it's been more than three months since the source footage was recorded, so I fully expect there to be changes come tomorrow!

Tomorrow I will hopefully be able to gather a much more complete array of information, so this is in reality more of a preview. I want to work on these images steadily to both complete them and clean them up, but in the meantime, I am looking for feedback on how to format the data better! Particularly with regards to damage; I just kind of phoned that bit in with the skill experience bars. The progress stamps and the character portraits don't mean anything, I'm just not sure what to do with those yet.

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
This is looking nice! Maybe you could replace the character portraits with images of the moves, like this?

(These were just some example images - these aren't the jabs, of course!)

As for the grade stamps, maybe they can signify how quick the move comes out? You could add another little header to the top to make it clear.

Last edited:
This is looking nice! Maybe you could replace the character portraits with images of the moves, like this?

(These were just some example images - these aren't the jabs, of course!)

As for the grade stamps, maybe they can signify how quick the move comes out? You could add another little header to the top to make it clear.
Thank you! I was actually considering something like that but wasn't sure how good it would look... But your mockup looks so good! I'll definitely try it out, though my editing skills aren't all that good ha ha.

I was thinking of using the stamps maybe that way, but figured it might be too subjective... I think that would be a good community project though.

Now I'm wondering my what to do with the motivation faces... Maybe edit them to look like the A and B buttons, and the C stick for the different sets of moves?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I usually make my own thread for this stuff, but seeing as this is already here, here's a preliminary day one poke at frame data via frame advance:

Byleth Preliminary Frame Data:

Jab: 4
Ftilt: 8
Utilt: 9
Dtilt: 13
Fsmash: 23 (10 charge release)
Usmash: 13 (7 charge release)
Dsmash: 19 front, 29 back (17 front charge release)
Dash Attack: 9

Standing Grab: 6
Running Grab: 10

Nair: 6
Fair: 12
Bair: 13
Uair: 10
Dair: 22

Neutral special: 45 (114 full charged) *can shield cancel as late as frame 43*
Side special: 20 (21 in the air)
Up special: 11 (12 in the air) *the sword takes a few frames to extend, data is for point blank*
Down special: 63 (74 reversed)

Obviously a lot more data will be pulled with time and with superior detail by data extraction, but if you want the data on release day, this is what I can offer you. I'm not going to pull armor frame data for down-B because the move is obviously terrible and my left index finger is tired from hitting L so many times to seriously find out it hits on frame 63/74 (how hilariously bad). Overall, that garbage, finger-hurting down-B aside, I think this frame data is pretty decent. I was really impressed at Byleth having a f4 jab and a f6 standing grab, and for a sword, honestly a lot of the important seeming moves are reasonably quick.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I usually make my own thread for this stuff, but seeing as this is already here, here's a preliminary day one poke at frame data via frame advance:

Byleth Preliminary Frame Data:

Jab: 4
Ftilt: 8
Utilt: 9
Dtilt: 13
Fsmash: 23 (10 charge release)
Usmash: 13 (7 charge release)
Dsmash: 19 front, 29 back (17 front charge release)
Dash Attack: 9

Standing Grab: 6
Running Grab: 10

Nair: 7
Fair: 12
Bair: 13
Uair: 10
Dair: 22

Neutral special: 45 (114 full charged) *can shield cancel as late as frame 43*
Side special: 20 (21 in the air)
Up special: 11 (12 in the air) *the sword takes a few frames to extend, data is for point blank*
Down special: 63 (74 reversed)

Obviously a lot more data will be pulled with time and with superior detail by data extraction, but if you want the data on release day, this is what I can offer you. I'm not going to pull armor frame data for down-B because the move is obviously terrible and my left index finger is tired from hitting L so many times to seriously find out it hits on frame 63/74 (how hilariously bad). Overall, that garbage, finger-hurting down-B aside, I think this frame data is pretty decent. I was really impressed at Byleth having a f4 jab and a f6 standing grab, and for a sword, honestly a lot of the important seeming moves are reasonably quick.
I got a few different numbers on my data.
Mostly just Nair at 6 frames, Down Special at 62 (If the enemy is above you) 63 if not.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I got a few different numbers on my data.
Mostly just Nair at 6 frames, Down Special at 62 (If the enemy is above you) 63 if not.
Missing that hit on nair was really sloppy, my bad. It's totally f6 and even more amazing than it already seemed.

I'm not retesting anything with down-B. It might as well hit on frame 900; the move is obviously useless, and it's just too much bother especially if it has non-cooperative hitboxes like you're suggesting. I believe you, and congrats on having the patience to actually grind through that silly move's frame data.

12Tables

Smash Rookie
Dash Speed: 1.43 (#75/76 Same as Zelda)
Initial Dash: 2.0 units
Initial Dash Frames: 15
Initial Dash Speed: 1.80
Dash Pivot: 18 frames (same as Robin)
Walk Speed: ~0.80 (#76 between Ken and Gannondorf)

First jump: 4.4 units (17~18 frames to max height_
Second jump: 4.4 units (27 frames to max height)
Short hop: 2.8 units (13~15 frames hard to tell)

Weight: 97

Not sure about how to test air speed.

*edit* cleared up issue on dash values to be more clear

Last edited:

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Dash Speed: 1.43 (#75/76 Same as Zelda)
Initial Dash: 2.0 units
Seriously? 2.0? That's pretty quick. For example, that's roughly the run speed of a character like Cloud or Joker. Zelda's also bumps up from 1.43 > 1.95 initial dash.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Missing that hit on nair was really sloppy, my bad. It's totally f6 and even more amazing than it already seemed.

I'm not retesting anything with down-B. It might as well hit on frame 900; the move is obviously useless, and it's just too much bother especially if it has non-cooperative hitboxes like you're suggesting. I believe you, and congrats on having the patience to actually grind through that silly move's frame data.
I needed to know if they were as slow as I thought they were. For the most part, they were. It's amazing how a character with so many attacks faster than Hero's feels far more sluggish offensively.

12Tables

Smash Rookie
Seriously? 2.0? That's pretty quick. For example, that's roughly the run speed of a character like Cloud or Joker. Zelda's also bumps up from 1.43 > 1.95 initial dash.
Byleth has Zelda's run speed of 1.43. Zelda's initial dash covers 2.4 units over 15 frames meaning 1.96. Byleth covers 2.0 units in 15 frames before acting (not sure why I put 12). This means base acceleration on initial dash is 1.80. I hope that clears up the confusion.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Byleth has Zelda's run speed of 1.43. Zelda's initial dash covers 2.4 units over 15 frames meaning 1.96. Byleth covers 2.0 units in 15 frames before acting (not sure why I put 12). This means base acceleration on initial dash is 1.80. I hope that clears up the confusion.
It does, thanks.
1.8 initial dash is almost Corrin’s, so it’s surprisingly decent for me.

Top Bottom