• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Serious Question] Would I be Laughed at?

Dobbs

Smash Rookie
I've been playing smash since it came out on the 64 and have never entered a tournament. I'm thinking about participating in one soon and this is my question:

I've been using the wiimote to play smash ever since it came out on the Wii.

I feel more comfortable playing with the wiimote than the gamecube controller and I also find it more fun.

Would I be laughed-at at a tournament if I show up with a wiimote?

Thanks,
Dobbs

EDIT: I'm using the Wiimote + Nunchuck
EDIT EDIT: So I've been using my gamecube controller and I've gotten pretty comfortable with it and I see why its so popular. I'm gonna use it instead ;)

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
People might not take you as seriously, but it shouldn't bother you. It only makes it feel so much better when you take their money.

Ace Turner

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-1026-7348
play whatever's comfortable, but gamecube controllers are what pretty much everyone uses.

Exodo

Smash Ace
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL WII MOTE XDDDD

na but seriously just use what its more comfortable for you, i would recommend though maybe practice with the Gamecube controller, trust me its actually better, or maybe its just me.

Dobbs

Smash Rookie
I didn't realize how active these forums are. Thanks for the fast replies! :)

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wait, are we talking Wiimore+Nunchuck or just a Wiimote?
Also came here for this question.

There's a few people that do really well with Wiichuck, but I've never heard of anyone doing well in a tournament with just the Wiimote. It's fundamentally limited as a controller in regards to the options you have.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
When you grow in knowledge and want to get more than decent at the game, you'll see where that takes you with your control decisions as others have experienced. I'd keep playing with a Wiimote, and someone will pry eventually offer you a GCC or CCP for free/cheap.

The Wiimote does feel good in a way to hold sideways and stuff, if you want to show off its potential stick to it. Someday someones gonna try getting good at a Wii Dancepad or Guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KUSKenDZZA

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
I don't see how anyone can possibly play well with just the Wiimote by itself, or at least better than if they learned any other controller option. Playing Smash with no analog stick restricts a lot of what you're able to do, and the buttons are pretty awkward and unintuitive since you're holding it sideways and not vertically, which is how the Wiimote was designed to be played.

If it works for you, then whatever. But the Wii-chuk, Classic Controller, and GC controller offer you much greater control over your character. Wiimote should stick to playing NES games.

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
If that's what you like using, then go for it. Who cares what anyone else thinks, if you're comfortable with it, that's what you should do.

Though I must say: Good luck with it.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't laugh. The controller you use is irrelevant if you are good. I know a really good halo player who plays with his controller upside down, and a fairly good quake player who plays with two mouses and no keyboard.

Granted you will probably get more success with a GCC

Celestis

Smash Ace
I would laugh. =3. Wii Mote is very limited on control in a game that relies so much on being able to control your character.

Question, though... Why does the controller its self make the game more fun? I don't see that connection. I never thought a game would be more fun because of a controller. More comfortable, yes, but not more fun. But that's just me!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I've seen competitive Brawl players with Wiimote + Nunchuck before. Go for it

Narpas_sword

I would laugh. =3. Wii Mote is very limited on control in a game that relies so much on being able to control your character.

Question, though... Why does the controller its self make the game more fun? I don't see that connection. I never thought a game would be more fun because of a controller. More comfortable, yes, but not more fun. But that's just me!
Try playing with a DDR mat.
Or DK bongos

TreK

Is "that guy"
At my first pm tourney I was beaten by a sonic player using a wiimote.

People will laugh, until you beat them.

Dobbs

Smash Rookie

I just feel like the Gamecube controller makes the game a little easier. The c-stick making smashes so easy. When you use the Wiimote+nunchuck you have to jerk the analogue stick, and I feel like that makes it more fun. Idk, just me :p

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Believe it or not, there controller meta, and the gcc has the most developed meta, so I would suggest you just get one. But if you're good no one's gonna care what you use. There's some guy who holds his gcc upside down, so it sticks out, but wiichuck isn't gonna get you shamed. People will probably tell you to get a gcc and ask you questions at a tourney, but they wouldn't deride you so long as you aren't held back by the controller you use.

/thread

D

Deleted member

i would laugh at you for being bad

good players don't care what other people think of them they just do what works for them and win with it anyway

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
I play with Wiichuk too, both Brawl and Project M
A few months ago I won a Brawl tournament against players with GCN controllers, nobody laughed at me or anything like that.
In the case of Project M, I find it easier to Wavedash with the Nunchuk, I've never been able to Wavedash with the GCN controllers.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I play with Wiichuk too, both Brawl and Project M
A few months ago I won a Brawl tournament against players with GCN controllers, nobody laughed at me or anything like that.
In the case of Project M, I find it easier to Wavedash with the Nunchuk, I've never been able to Wavedash with the GCN controllers.
You make it sound like your technical as Nazo lol

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Wiichuck is pretty cool. Though I've been playing with a GC Controller ever since I got a chance. Though with Smash 4 coming up, I'll probably be playing with the Wii U Pro Controller since it feels so much more comfortable.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
You make it sound like your technical as Nazo lol
I'm sorry, I don't get what you mean.
Could you explain me please?
If it's about me bragging about being a great player, I am not. I'm just saying I find it easier to play with the Wiichuk

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
If people laugh at you for using a different controller, they're at fault. Wiichuck is fine, and you lose little to nothing compared to playing with GC. It's all preference. source: I play wiichuck

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
If people laugh at you for using a different controller, they're at fault. Wiichuck is fine, and you lose little to nothing compared to playing with GC. It's all preference. source: I play wiichuck
You lose the c-stick, which I wouldn't not call "little to nothing."

I'm really not familiar with the Wiichuck, but does it have motion controls? Like, flicking the Wiimote itself can do something? Because that might be an interesting option for custom controls.

Metarai

Smash Apprentice
The Wii Chuck has shake smash, where you shake your wii remote and do the corresponding smash attack. When I used the Wii chuck, I changed the d-pad for smash attacks like a c-stick. Its not as good as the c-stick, but it worked for me.
Glad to see you decided to use the gamecube controller, I also recently switched a couple of months ago. I have yet to go to a tournament though, good luck!

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Yeah, the dpad works just like a cstick. If you're willing to heavily change around your controls, then you don't really lose much. Maybe a jump button.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I would hope nobody would laugh. Shame upon them and their families and what little honor they have if they do, though!
No, sir, generally, we try not to be elitist, despite inferiorities, real or perceived with a given controller setup.
Though, I have met quite a few people who are. You must become as the stoics of old, sir!

Top Bottom