• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Serebii can't confirm/deconfirm anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I do agree that he's a much more reliable source than any of the other people telling us stuff, but i do agree that some people seem to be using his word as concrete, when it's fact that he's not an official source. I don't think it matters how many times he's been right in the past.

Like i've always said, i don't consider anything officialy in the game unless it's updated on the Dojo, announced in an official interview with a staff member on the game in a respectable site/magazine, or shown in gameplay footage at a games conference. I don't care what anybody else says, i don't believe it until it's proven.

And i don't mean that in a sense that i refuse to accept anything Serebii says, and will therefore have egg on my face if what he's saying does come true, i just prefer to remain spectical until info is official. After all, this is Sakurai in charge of this game, and we've seen what he's done in the past.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
And *shudders* deconfirmed Mewtwo..:(
Well, I guess he never said it...or at least confirmed it :urg:
Technically, one of his mods "Lady Selebi" or whatever confirmed this. I think Serebii refused to comment on that...

I think that was suppose to act as indirect though

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Let me just say that for about four years I have gone to Serebii.net for Pokemon news before Nintendo.com, CoroCoro, or Pokemon.com. He really has a good site.

Now, I dont know why people are making a big deal out of nothing.

It's not like he deconfirmed Ridley. He said fricking Plusle and Minun wont be in. I mean jeeze, these two are a long shot for Pokeball, much less playable. Calm the **** down.
Well I remember on a rumour thread he said that a 'prophet's' information conflicted with his sources info, so he has said slightly more for that, I've known his website way before Smash Boards and to say he's untrustworthy is completely idiotic. There's noone else out there besides the Dojo who's more trustworthy for insider info (excluding events like Jumpfesta etc). He has one of the biggest Pokemon sites I know of, why would he risk having people never believe him again? It's not like he's some faceless Goat guy who IF he is lying will just dissapear never to be seen again. He's putting his reputation on the line, so if he says that his information conflicts with some random faceless guy who's joined Gamefaqs within the last day, I know who I'd trust.

Tfox

Smash Rookie
I don't believe him. what makes him better then anyone else? nothing!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't believe him. what makes him better then anyone else? nothing!
Well, the fact he's well known and revealed stuff in the past...

DUH...

He's more reliable, I'll give him that

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
Serebii has often claimed to have info and been proven wrong. For awhile on his site he claimed the D/P starters were going to be Fighting/Dark/Psychic.

He reports any rumour he hears. It's laudable to get the word out quickly, but he does so at the expense of truth many times.

Just because he has a big site doesn't mean he's a big source. In the pokemon community, most fans don't trust his news until Bulbapedia or another reliable source confirms it as well.
Yes you are right actually, I did report that. But so did your glorified Bulbapedia as it came from an official site where we got news. I actually NEVER post rumours unless I have to and WHEN I do, I make sure everyone knows that it is one.

Plus people don't do that in regards to my news. You may do that, but the vast majority of people do not. Heck I have up to a quarter of a million unique PEOPLE go to my site each day whereas your Bulbapedia has like 10,000 unique PEOPLE each day. Guess who trusts who more?

As for those who just think I know Pokémon stuff, that makes little sense actually, just because I work on a Pokémon site does not mean I can only get a source that tells me that stuff. This source I have had for a couple of years now, I trust him imp-licitly after he was completely right about the Names I revealed at the start of last year. He is on the inside and thats more than you lot will ever have

This whole thing just smacks of jealousy...and thats really really sad

Zoo-bellocks

Smash Apprentice
Serebii, just out of curiousity, is there anything really stopping you from just making an anonymous alt account and posting all the info you know?

Eszett

Smash Cadet
I was in Serebii's chat one time when he confirmed a certain rumor fake. If you'll let me scrummage around a moment I could dig it up, but I'll need to borrow your moment. You'll get it back, don't worry.

Serebii is a reliable source for information concerning Pokemon; I don't know how anyone could deny that. If he says something about Pokemon in a capacity related to Brawl, I would put my money on that. While I would be slightly more skeptical of non-Pokemon-related information, I would accept it if it conflicts with some of the other prophets.

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
Serebii, just out of curiousity, is there anything really stopping you from just making an anonymous alt account and posting all the info you know?
Because it could easily be traced back to me through IP and such and then everything would go **** up as if i went and revealled it straight away

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
An actual answer? Almost nil

A completely vague answer that doesnt actually answer anything? 50/50
Which is exactly why he should just shut up about all this business. If you're gonna be here, talk about other stuff. If you're only here to mess with the gullible noobs, then go back to your own site. You pretty much said yourself that you can't help anyway, so you're just putting yourself in danger if you say anything that could even remotely be considered 'revealing', and you're stringing everyone else along, like a proper douchebag.

So stop.

Eszett

Smash Cadet
Because it could easily be traced back to me through IP and such and then everything would go **** up as if i went and revealled it straight away
You could try using a proxy, but revealing anything would likely make the fans ravenous.

They're like a pack of wolves. They get hungrier after the first bite than they were before the meal.

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
Na, I'm good. I'd rather help the people without revealing anything :)
As much as watching all these sheep being herded is funny, its still azzholery at its finest. But hey, maybe that's just your thing, eh?

"Yeah, but now you can be careful and cautious so that you can avoid it and potentially save your lives!"

?
No, its "Now you can live your lives in fear of every little risk, and effectively, the non-existent threat has already beaten you!"

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
You can't be sued for revealing information you know about a game unless you signed some sort of confidentiality agreement. Unless you work for the people making the game, I doubt you signed anything like that.

I don't know why people are arguing over Serebii's credibility anyway. He's not even telling us anything. So what difference does it make? It's like a lawyer arguing over the credibility of a witness who isn't even testifying.

Cranky Kong

Smash Rookie
You can't be sued for revealing information you know about a game unless you signed some sort of confidentiality agreement. Unless you work for the people making the game, I doubt you signed anything like that.

I don't know why people are arguing over Serebii's credibility anyway. He's not even telling us anything. So what difference does it make? It's like a lawyer arguing over the credibility of a witness who isn't even testifying.
Well, his source could possibly get in trouble as well. Plus I think he's gotten in trouble for leaking things before. They might treat it similarly to leaking Harry Potter spoilers. Of course if someone did truly leak the info anonymously, (which may very well happen before the game's release date as it did with Melee and many other games obviously), they could get away with it much easier than a high-profile guy like Joe. Serebii is very credible, I've been going to his site for ages and he has nothing to gain from lying :ohwell: Pretty much all of the Pokemon community trusts him. He's not really being a jerk, he's giving us way more than we know simply by denying/debunking false prophets and rumors. I'm pretty sure he's eager to tell us what he knows, but he obviously can't.

And it is useful that he's "deconfirming" rumors and supposed leaks, since there are so many near the game's Japanese release date... I, too, am eager to know the roster but hey I can wait two weeks until it comes out in Japan.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
You can easily access someone elses or a public computer.

I think you're bull.

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
Why do you people want everything out of serebii people?
it's just a game. This is not like he knows the secret to being immortal.

Besides if he did reveal everything people would still call him fake anyways.

Revven

FrankerZ
Another non-Serebii-believer. Seriously, I've gone to his site for the past year now and I definitely recall him reporting the names of the D/P Pokemon (plus their sprites) before the game came out and they were all correct.

The thing is, Serebii can't reveal his source nor can he spoil what he knows. If he did any one of those things he wouldn't be able to be trusted on the inside and his source would likely get demoted or even more likely, fired and lose his job while Serebii loses credibility.

What exactly does everyone want Serebii to do to prove himself? He doesn't have the game, he doesn't have a source that knows what the DOJO is going to update, and he can't reveal his source or what he knows (this is a definite, and as if it would change anything).

Put yourself in his shoes and think for once before even speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom