• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Semi Decent Marth main- quick questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenithal

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've been maining Marth for a long time now (second Wolf and Toonie, in case you were wondering), and play with some fairly decent smashers at my college. None of us are even close to tournament level, but we have fun and are all fairly competative with each other. I like Marth the best, and can play him best normally, though a campy wolf can piss off my rommate. I play agressively, charging in even though I get punished a lot for it, and like to chase off edges and fair/nair to gimp recoveries. Now that you know a bit about me, I've got a few questions.

Controller setup:

I use wiimote + nunchuck, with the d-pad set to smashes (like a c-stick), with tap jump on, z is shield and c is jump (for SH fairs). I feel comfortable with it, but it doesn't leave a button open for grab, and A+B is iffy at best. Do you guys think this setup is ok? I can switch C to grab and just tap for SH (I did this for a while), but I'm not sure which is more useful in gameplay. Also, I sometimes feel that the C-padding (using d-pad like a c-stick, don't know if it has an actual name) makes me a smash spammer, and makes me a bit worse off. Suggestions?

Tournament-ish questions:

Just because I want to get into the competative scene, I had some questions on other gameplay aspects. What stages are good for marth (generally, I know there is a counterpick topic, but if they are random char, whats a good one?)?

What is this controller port advantage I keep hearing about? Do some ports give higher priority?

When I'm playing solo against CPUs, what should I set them as? Obviously lvl 9 MK seems reasonable, but I can demolish them just because its a computer and not a human. Should I play against multiple computers?

As far as seconds go, I mentioned I like Wolf and Toonie as secondaries, though I mess around with Pit from time to time too. I can play MK pretty well, but it seems some tournies ban him, and it seems cheap from time to time. What second is a good pick against Marth's bad matchups, or should I just focus on maximizing my Marth?

I know its tl;dr length, but you all seem pretty knowledgeable, so I thought I'd lay out my questions at your intelligent feet.

/bow

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Is that a Snake icon I see?
Anyways never use CPU's for practice, unless you are like M2K.

laki

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I've been maining Marth for a long time now (second Wolf and Toonie, in case you were wondering), and play with some fairly decent smashers at my college. None of us are even close to tournament level, but we have fun and are all fairly competative with each other. I like Marth the best, and can play him best normally, though a campy wolf can piss off my rommate. I play agressively, charging in even though I get punished a lot for it, and like to chase off edges and fair/nair to gimp recoveries. Now that you know a bit about me, I've got a few questions.

Controller setup:

I use wiimote + nunchuck, with the d-pad set to smashes (like a c-stick), with tap jump on, z is shield and c is jump (for SH fairs). I feel comfortable with it, but it doesn't leave a button open for grab, and A+B is iffy at best. Do you guys think this setup is ok? I can switch C to grab and just tap for SH (I did this for a while), but I'm not sure which is more useful in gameplay. Also, I sometimes feel that the C-padding (using d-pad like a c-stick, don't know if it has an actual name) makes me a smash spammer, and makes me a bit worse off. Suggestions?

Tournament-ish questions:

Just because I want to get into the competative scene, I had some questions on other gameplay aspects. What stages are good for marth (generally, I know there is a counterpick topic, but if they are random char, whats a good one?)?

What is this controller port advantage I keep hearing about? Do some ports give higher priority?

When I'm playing solo against CPUs, what should I set them as? Obviously lvl 9 MK seems reasonable, but I can demolish them just because its a computer and not a human. Should I play against multiple computers?

As far as seconds go, I mentioned I like Wolf and Toonie as secondaries, though I mess around with Pit from time to time too. I can play MK pretty well, but it seems some tournies ban him, and it seems cheap from time to time. What second is a good pick against Marth's bad matchups, or should I just focus on maximizing my Marth?

I know its tl;dr length, but you all seem pretty knowledgeable, so I thought I'd lay out my questions at your intelligent feet.

/bow
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188570

Thats where questions go.

For the wiimote question I have know idea but if you go to the snake boards, Ultimate Razor the best snake in Texas uses wiimote nunchuck so he might be able to tell you.

Marths best stage is Battelfield but there are probably better counterpicks for certain matchups.

For Cpu practice use level 3s so that you can practice your spacing.

Marths worst matchups are D3, Snake, and Metaknight so you could try falco since he hard counters DDD and does decent vs snake and Meta. Wario also works.

I won't say its best to maximize your Marth because there's a counterpick system for a reason, but if you don't know your secondary very well, you might just want to stick with Marf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom