• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seeing how their are multiple controls, how will this effect gameplay?

MKDSPoKE

Smash Cadet
Their are 4 ways to control. Game Cube Controller, Tilted Wii Mote, Wii Mote + Nunchuck, and Virtual Console controller. Any other possible ways to control? Possible the Guitar Hero 3 guitar for the Wii? How will different controls effect game play, and which ones will people use the most. My ideal is that people may use Game Cube controls because people have already played Melee. The Tilted Wii Mote is looking like a easy way to control, and comfortable. Virtual Console Controls may be good as well seeing how it relates to the Game Cube's controls. The Wii Mote + Nunchuck takes up more energy out of the Wii Mote, and I don't know exactly how that would work.

Maybe once the game comes out, I could test out all the controls. So, what effects do you think these different controls will have on the game itself?

WhiteZER0

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'm gonna stick with my WaveBird Controller. I'm familiar with it, and would rather use that instead of the other ones XD. I might use teh Wii-Mote/Wii-Mote+Nunchuck for fun every once in a while.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Hah, I'm sticking with my Black Gamecube controller. Although the wire is abnormally shorter than the PS2 and Xbox, and the port for the GC controller is on a weird side of the Wii... I think its comfortable.

WHO?AreYou

Smash Journeyman
To answer the original question, I think that it may not be the control schemes that make a huge difference, but the customizable button configurations for each "name" that makes a big impact. This could very well ensure that no two smashers will use the same controls. Even a GCN vs. GCN would be different. I can definatley see the "professionals" sticking to a specific configuration though, and it'll be very interesting because I honestly believe that after a few months the boards will be flooded with debates over who's button configuration/control scheme is most efficient.

a-mar

Smash Cadet
thinking they may be puting out a special GC wavebird with internal Wii sync compadibility

but yeah i'm thinking the wii mote and and added nunchuck
will be novelty??

mabe a ruquirement to pass a level or unlock a character.

GC controll will be the way!!!!!

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Why would a control scheme be banned?
Yeah I don't see why they would be banned, some people might prefer some controller over another. It might feel better. Someone might not have played SSB before and started playing Brawl with the Wiimote and Nunchuck and prefer that over the GC.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Yeah I don't see why they would be banned, some people might prefer some controller over another. It might feel better. Someone might not have played SSB before and started playing Brawl with the Wiimote and Nunchuck and prefer that over the GC.
They won't. This guy maxpower is a REALLY bitter you know what that cleans your floor and he's trying to incite flamewars so we can all talk about how awful the tournament scene is and he can slit his wrists.

Im pretty sure unless theres some sort of interference problem that all control schemes will be alowed, though I see the GC controller being dominant and the wii-mote being used by some. The nun chuck seems a little far fetched for smash but I never tried one.

WIND SMASHER X

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure the GCN controller will be dominant for serious competitive play. While the others will just be used for entertainment purposes by most. But then theres some who will find a way to make the wiimote work.

Eaode

Smash Champion
i see it like this, in terms of popularity:

1. GameCube controller
2. Wiimote and Nunchuck
3. Classic Controller
4. Sideways Wiimote

Sideways Wiimote goes last because it doesn't even have an analog stick.

iMichael

Smash Lord
The Wiimote looks straight up confusing....what button is the shield button lol sheesh

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
Definitely just the regular Gamecube controller, I've been using it too long to just switch right now.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Ok, i wanted to do a thread about what im about to commment, but since we are taling about controllers here i think is the appropiate moment.

We all know that not all the 4 controllers can have the C-stick, so a friend of mine (who hates c stcik users) told me that it was possible that the creators woud remove the usage of the C-sitck.

At the beggning i was laughing at hm, but thinking about it carefully, it has some logic, as one of the controllers dont have c stick.

I dont think they will do that, but if the c stick is gone for good... im sure that ill be doomed,,,, and most of us too.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
It won't affect gameplay. It's for you to go with what's comfortable.

tchab

Smash Rookie
smash brawl !!!!( TCHA)

For me ill probably stay with my gamecube controller because am familliar with it so i guess it would be easier to kick more *** at brawl faster too xD

But ! if i try wii remote or else and i not that hard to play i could use those too =)

-TCHA-

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Well, the fact that there's a wiimote-only control scheme means that smash-B moves (like samus' super missiles) will be removed from the game... cause the smash-A attacks in that scheme are performed by tapping the direction and pressing the 1 and 2 buttons simultaneously

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Well, the fact that there's a wiimote-only control scheme means that smash-B moves (like samus' super missiles) will be removed from the game... cause the smash-A attacks in that scheme are performed by tapping the direction and pressing the 1 and 2 buttons simultaneously
That's a bit much to say isn't it? There's still the B button on the back of the wiimote.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
We all know that not all the 4 controllers can have the C-stick, so a friend of mine (who hates c stcik users) told me that it was possible that the creators woud remove the usage of the C-sitck.

At the beggning i was laughing at hm, but thinking about it carefully, it has some logic, as one of the controllers dont have c stick.

I dont think they will do that, but if the c stick is gone for good... im sure that ill be doomed,,,, and most of us too.
lol. How can one hate c-stick users? That's like saying that I hate people who use Z to grab instead of R+A.

One of the controllers also doesn't have an analog stick or shoulder buttons. Are they gonna get rid of their functionality too?

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
To answer the original question, I think that it may not be the control schemes that make a huge difference, but the customizable button configurations for each "name" that makes a big impact. This could very well ensure that no two smashers will use the same controls. Even a GCN vs. GCN would be different. I can definatley see the "professionals" sticking to a specific configuration though, and it'll be very interesting because I honestly believe that after a few months the boards will be flooded with debates over who's button configuration/control scheme is most efficient.

I can also see this. But in addition to that, I can see even MORE of a drastic difference between playstyles with this. I'm guessing that each and every configuration will have advantages towards performing certain kinds of advanced tech which will inevitably come. It could possibly lend a psuedo RPG-like layer of depth in that depending on the kind of scheme you have set up, you can perform certain types of tech efficiently. Not because the game was designed this way but simply because of the placement of buttons.

Of course, maybe I'm digging too deep into this.

mrbrightside

Smash Cadet
The big problem I see here is the ability to wavedash (assuming its still a feature) will be a pain to complete with a Wii-mote on its side. With the lack of a joystick the response time from the D-pad will cause for some problems. Also in regards to smash specials (i.e. Samus' power missles) a combination of the B and 1 button could be used to perform it and the 1 button alone for a Heat Seeking missile. I just don't see the Wii-mote alone being anyone's preferred playstyle. :dizzy:

MKDSPoKE

Smash Cadet
Interesting seeing how many of you said GCN controls. Those will be used seeing how everyone right now uses it for melee. Though I'm going to try out the wii mote.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I will not go to the other controls, my main will be GameCube controller (But i will check Wii Remote + Nunchuk once at least).
But to one of the things said at the start of this thread, there should be NO Guitar 3 controller. I can't imagine you beating up someone with "Music" i should say.

WHO?AreYou

Smash Journeyman
I can also see this. But in addition to that, I can see even MORE of a drastic difference between playstyles with this. I'm guessing that each and every configuration will have advantages towards performing certain kinds of advanced tech which will inevitably come. It could possibly lend a psuedo RPG-like layer of depth in that depending on the kind of scheme you have set up, you can perform certain types of tech efficiently. Not because the game was designed this way but simply because of the placement of buttons.

Of course, maybe I'm digging too deep into this.
I don't think you're digging too deeply. I've learned never to doubt the video game community.
That is precisely what I mean. Really, I think the button configuration will be key to"changing gameplay" Say you use the GCN controller, but never use Y. You could configure that to be a more useful button. And I think it's possible, if not probable, that on boards like this one, you could find button configurations that even play to a specific characters strength. A Jigglypuff configuration best used for rest and WoP combos, so on so forth. As new things are discovered, so too will new button configurations as well.
At least that's IMHO. It could lead to a lot of very interesting playstyles.

beta_prime

Smash Journeyman
On the c stick topic- for the wii mote and nunchuck, which I will probaly be using the most, for a c stick you could press the c button on the nunchuck the move the joy stick like a c stick. It's a little weird I know but hey it could work.

baheffron

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why 3 of them would get banned in tournies... I doubt any one way would be better than the GC controller. The only a Wiimote option will probably be the worst, while the other options will probably work about the same as the GC controller.

zerosin

Smash Apprentice
I don't think you're digging too deeply. I've learned never to doubt the video game community.
That is precisely what I mean. Really, I think the button configuration will be key to"changing gameplay" Say you use the GCN controller, but never use Y. You could configure that to be a more useful button. And I think it's possible, if not probable, that on boards like this one, you could find button configurations that even play to a specific characters strength. A Jigglypuff configuration best used for rest and WoP combos, so on so forth. As new things are discovered, so too will new button configurations as well.
At least that's IMHO. It could lead to a lot of very interesting playstyles.
Well, it's nice to know that you can completely change your overall efficiency with custom button configuration. That's the one thing I've wanted for a bit. I like the GCN controller, but I seem to neglect some buttons just because they are uncomfortable and/or, sometimes, even useless in my gameplay.
It's not only a nice change for casual players, but it also gives pros some edge as well. You can prepare your control scheme for several situations instead of being restricted to just one. Sounds exciting; Sakurai's taken a big step in the right direction.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
On the c stick topic- for the wii mote and nunchuck, which I will probaly be using the most, for a c stick you could press the c button on the nunchuck the move the joy stick like a c stick. It's a little weird I know but hey it could work.

*Points to Wiimote, points to D-pad* Why not eh?

If not, then I might have to bump up the Classic Controller.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Best controller? Chop the GC and CC controllers down the middle and combine the left half of the GC controller to the right half of the CC controller.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
Ok, i wanted to do a thread about what im about to commment, but since we are taling about controllers here i think is the appropiate moment.

I actually never ever used the c-stick in serious or even casual play. It's too far away from the rest of the gamecube controller's buttons and causes problems for me, personally, in terms of quick combo execution. I'm definately going with the super nintendo wanna-be controller. If you people here grew up with the snes like me, you'll adapt quickly to a controller like that and would see a very definate possibility of making it better then the gamecube controller. The buttons are closer, the controller is smaller, and if we're lucky, unlike the gamecube, make the cord will be twice as long so I don't have to sit 2ft. away from my tv.

Top Bottom