• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secrets revealed! A Marth Pivoting tutorial.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I never spoke out against differentiating between pivots and smash turns. But he didn’t write “wavedash turn dtilt”, he wrote “dash turn dtilt”. Which is a different, yet still correct way to refer to the technique usually called a pivot. Just like you could call a ledgedash a “wavedash from the ledge” or a “second jump to waveland from the ledge“.
I don't see how "pivot dtilt" and "dash turn dtilt" are at all the same thing. One requires you to dtilt on the frame after pivot. The other just consists of waiting until your dash animation is finished and then turning around.

Kadano

Magical Express
I don't see how "pivot dtilt" and "dash turn dtilt" are at all the same thing. One requires you to dtilt on the frame after pivot. The other just consists of waiting until your dash animation is finished and then turning around.
Turning intercepts the dash. There is no need to wait until the dash animation is finished. Whether you refer to the act of canceling the dash animation into a smash turn as a pivot or as a dash turn is just personal preference.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Yeah, technically pivot is the same thing as smash turn done when standing or whatever. I would just call smash turn methods pivots and tilt turn attacks just turnaround attacks. It's basically as hard to do smash turn wd back from stand than it is from dash. Tilt turn attacks are very easy.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
This set was very good for me. I don't have very much puff practice but now I have a frame to work with. My fundamentals weren't strong enough to win me this set. However with the experience I now have and the proper training, I feel I will be able to beat any puff player with Marth. Thanks for the shout outs guys.

Bones0

Smash Legend
This set was very good for me. I don't have very much puff practice but now I have a frame to work with. My fundamentals weren't strong enough to win me this set. However with the experience I now have and the proper training, I feel I will be able to beat any puff player with Marth. Thanks for the shout outs guys.
Why did the TO allow S0ft to go back to FD?

Whatever the case, your gameplay was downright inspiring. I've been mostly maintaining my Marth just for spacies/Puff counterpicking, but I've been putting off hardcore pivot practice to get myself above ~70% consistency.

Last edited:

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Why did the TO allow S0ft to go back to FD?

Whatever the case, your gameplay was downright inspiring. I've been mostly maintaining my Marth just for spacies/Puff counterpicking, but I've been putting off hardcore pivot practice to get myself above ~70% consistency.

I was misinformed about the rules and asked for a TO. After I had asked a TO there was some confusion between the TO's as to what the real rules were. Someone who I found out later was not a TO looked online and told me that it was modified DSR rules. When in fact that was not the case. At this point it doesn't really matter, the tournament has long since ended. I cannot blame the confusion on the rule set nor can I blame the person who misinformed me. I have only myself to blame. Had I practiced harder I would have been able to win on FD and even Dream Land regardless of the rule set. What this means is that my platform game is very strong however there is something fundamentally wrong with my approach to the jiggly puff match up. I plan on doubling my efforts to ensure that I can win on any stage next time I have to play against a puff player.

Thank you very much for your kind words, I really appreciate it! The road to learning to pivot can be difficult and frustrating. Keep in mind that some controllers actually are more difficult to pivot on. I have to replace my controllers often because of the toll it takes on the joy sticks. A stiffer joy stick makes it easier to pivot actually, so that may be something you want to look into. I really hope this helps, also if you have some specific questions on pivoting feel free to ask or PM me and I can answer any of them as quickly as I can.

Falumps

Smash Rookie
Top Bottom