• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secrets of Suzaku Castle: Ryu finds, discoveries, ATs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

In this thread we share new finds, discoveries and ATs.

Last edited:

Vex514

Smash Cadet
So something I just found out which has been super useful is that you can air dash by cancelling Ryus focus attack in the air. You can usually get two off before your double jump and can recover from just about any height. You do drop down quite a bit doing it, so only use it when you're sent towards a corner. Really useful for extending and mixing up our recovery!

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Ryu can reverse his Down Special. If you charge it and hold the stick in the opposite direction, he will reverse when he punches. This can be very useful, especially since it has super armor

KingDaiGurren

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Ryu can reverse his Down Special. If you charge it and hold the stick in the opposite direction, he will reverse when he punches. This can be very useful, especially since it has super armor
I don't think it's full super armor. Someone already found out that he can only take one hit while using focus. Anymore and he loses his.... focus....

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Press jump+side B in quick succession (slide yr thumb sorta) to go really high with Whirlwind Kick.

Mienaikage

Smash Cadet
As in SF4, fully charged focus goes through shield. Also it seems you can't do a focus crumple after you've broken an opponent's shield.

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
There is negative edge for Ryu on this game, just like in Street Fighter.

"Negative edge, the name for a concept in fighting game theory for games such as Street Fighter II, wherein a special move is made easier to execute by allowing the player to execute such a move by using a joystick command followed by the release of a previously depressed pushbutton."

Let's say you do a strong uptilt with A, after that you do the motion for a Shoryuken and release the A button, that will make a true combo uptilt + max damage Shoryuken.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
There is negative edge for Ryu on this game, just like in Street Fighter.

"Negative edge, the name for a concept in fighting game theory for games such as Street Fighter II, wherein a special move is made easier to execute by allowing the player to execute such a move by using a joystick command followed by the release of a previously depressed pushbutton."

Let's say you do a strong uptilt with A, after that you do the motion for a Shoryuken and release the A button, that will make a true combo uptilt + max damage Shoryuken.
that's really freaking cool

Zenip19

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zenip19
3DS FC
4167-4543-8619
After doing a bit of fooling around with that knowledge, I discovered that D-tilt -> U-tilt -> Shoryuken is a true combo at 0% and does about 22% damage
Edit - On Bowser it works up until he dies and it kills him at 115% but you also have to sourspot the D-tilt for this to work

Last edited:

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
After doing a bit of fooling around with that knowledge, I discovered that D-tilt -> U-tilt -> Shoryuken is a true combo at 0% and does about 22% damage
Nice! Now imagine a focus attack, dash cancel into that combo *_* What a beautiful punish after a shieldbreak!

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
Sorry to sound like i'm blowing in from stupid town, but what is a dash cancel?
It's something Ryu can do out of his focus attack (down b) animation. After (or before) releasing the focus attack, you can dash either forward or backwards, so you can set up the combo more easily because you cancel the focus attack animation earlier than normal.

Zenip19

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zenip19
3DS FC
4167-4543-8619
With that knowledge you can use Focus Attack -> D-tilt -> U-tilt -> Shoryuken and kill bowser if you start the combo at 100%
Edit - You can leave out the U-tilt and still combo bowser into death. Now at high percents I believe that just leaving the u-tilt out is optimal because it makes the combo so much harder, for little extra damage.

Last edited:

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
You can do actual hit confirms (not smash hit confirms) off of light jab, light dtilt, and light utilt into any special move. You can confirm utilt into heavy utilt as well. Off of a successful crumple with downb, you can easily then do dtilt confirm into shoryuken.
You can pretty much infinite faster falling opponenets with walk-forward utilt at certain percents and finish with shoryuken. The 'hit confirms' are only as escapable as a rapid jab that has already begun on you, so you can really only SDI out, and you're generally not hit with enough force to go much of anywhere anyway until the string is over.

Yabuki Shingo

Smash Rookie
Seriously, the fact that you can change your momentum with an aerial FADC is just glorious. It REALLY confuses your opponents who don't see that coming.

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
It stands for Focus Attack Dash Cancel, basically you begin a Focus Attack (down B), but then press the forward direction twice, this enables the focus attack to absorb one hit like it normally does, but then cancels the animation so that you can execute a combo.

♥ Rd0Lg ♥

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rider0fLightning
3DS FC
0989-1743-4601
I've noticed that the Focus Attack will stun after Ryu flashes yellow. It's somewhere halfway through the full charge, but not sure about frames or any of that. I think I've pulled it off earlier before the yellow flash, but I might just be imagining things. This doesn't stun them for long, but deals 10% and enough stun to get a free dTilt if you FADC, and you can start a combo from there.
Also, Focus Attack stuns people even if they are airborne, but I haven't figured out if this could be a situational setup for uAir>input DP.

yttik

I've noticed that the Focus Attack will stun after Ryu flashes yellow. It's somewhere halfway through the full charge, but not sure about frames or any of that. I think I've pulled it off earlier before the yellow flash, but I might just be imagining things. This doesn't stun them for long, but deals 10% and enough stun to get a free dTilt if you FADC, and you can start a combo from there.
Also, Focus Attack stuns people even if they are airborne, but I haven't figured out if this could be a situational setup for uAir>input DP.
this works the same as street fighter 4, it's called level 2 focus. level 1 focus is a normal hit, level 2 is one flash and level 3 is the second flash.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Don't know why this is a thing that was "found out" lol. It was the same as it was in Street Fighter 4.

Also yes, it IS full Super Armour.
And of course he can be grabbed out of it.

I took Ryu into for glory and peoples there just dont understand how to deal with the basic Ryu with fire ball bait then Srk the jump in. And you can Srk people out of bad air dodges and even BETTER, you can Srk OoS :D. So if your opponent is sloppy on their attack and it hits your shield smack them with it.

Im still getting use to the controls since hes pretty weird input wise. But his jab is his target combo(i think), Light Kick and Light Punch can link into his specials. And I think his Nair links into dsmash. His forward tilt (its not the heavy where its high knock back, its the medium far kick which looks like a poke)is a pretty good set up into fsmash.

His medium kick also sets up into fireball if you pop them in the air.

Edit - On Bowser it works up until he dies and it kills him at 115% but you also have to sourspot the D-tilt for this to work
You can down throw into SRK and it links on most characters at 0%. But there is probably a way to scale more damage then that. Perhaps dthrow>uair and on second hit uair > srk?

Last edited:

yttik

also, it would seem like whenever you hit someone in the air with focus 2 or 3, it's a paralyze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom